News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deals I missed out on 'back in the day'

Started by GTX, November 27, 2005, 02:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Today I was thinking about the cars I've missed out on over the years. Stupid decisions etc.
Of course you gotta remember that back then these cars were much more common.

Here are a few:

'68 Charger R/T - $800 - The guy I was buying it from wrecked it hours before we were to finish the deal.

A Hemi Challenger in the early 80's - Don't know it it was matching or not, I didn't care but I had to pass cause I was barely making rent money and $3000 was a fortune to me back them

Numerous small block Cuda's - all through the late 70's and into the 80's- I was of the opinion back then that if it didn't have a 440 or hemi I wasn't interested.

'70 Challenger 'vert - trade in 1981 or 82 -  Was missing some chrome trim and I didn't want to chase down the hard parts.

'70 RR 'vert - $3000 in 1980- didn't have room for another - I already had two Mopars and was renting as it was. I see that same car around still over 20 years later.

'68 R/T - $500 then down to $300 in 1979 - Had a bent pushrod in the 413 we swapped into it and believe it or not I couldn't even afford the money to buy the car, pushrods and gaskets at the time.

'69 Road Runner - around $700 in 1981 - Was missing 4th gear and hard to get into reverse on the 4 speed, lights were messed up. Smashed linkage and hacked wire harness.

'58 Chrysler - Free in 1978 - Had a 392 Hemi and semi auto trans. I had nothing to put it in and wasn't sure I could anyway.

I traded my '70 GTX in a fit of anger for a '76 MGB and regretted it, luckily I found the 'X' and bought it back.

I sold a nice '68 plain jane Charger 383 in '86 cause it had filler in the quarters that was cracking and I didn't have time to get into repairing the car. Besides, it was only a 383 car. ::)
Also sold a '69 GTX for next to nothing cause my landlord was giving me hassles.

This is all besides the other Chargers and a Duster I've had over the years and all gone now!

Gee, I really missed the boat on some deals and I'm regretting some of those now. :-[ :(

I hope I don't get another stupid moment and sell off any of the ones I have now!

What have you guys missed out on?

OneBadSuperbird

Wow, that's a lot of cars that slipped by!

Two come to mind for me.

The first was in 1983.   It was an original FM3 Moulin Rouge (Panther Pink) AAR Cuda 340 Six Pack 4-speed, all original needing just a little bit of very minor rust repair in the lower quarters.   $3,500.   I sold my '67 Coronet a few days too late to buy the AAR.

The worst one was also right around the same time period in 1983.   A friend of mine and I went to the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan to pick up a Daytona wing and a '71 Road Runner body.   The kid who had the wing and the Runner body asked if we wanted to go and check out a red '71 Hemi Cuda convertible that a lady had for sale.   We asked how much and he said $7,500 and that the car needed a total resto being a northern Michigan car and all.   That was astronomical money back then for a car that needed a total resto so we politely declined and went on our way.   Ron Adair later bought the car and then Bill Drake ended up with it.   Looking back, that car would have made for a pretty dang awesome retirement...
Save A Rare Rotter Today - Rebody It!

Click on pic to check out the FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS website!

Charger Aficionado

PLEASE:   :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock:
(I don't want to think about it)!!!   ;D

Ghoste

You could create an entire website out of this question.  There are just too many to even begin listing.  The TA's, the Hemi cars, the verts.  It goes on and on.

joedotts

just missed a 69 charger r/t clone yesterday... beautiful car, no rust, almost perfect body, no engine but i was going to get a 383 for $250 that ran and didnt smoke... the car was for $8000... and i just dont have the money now... im so depressed over not getting the car... ive wanted one for years and years... if the deal came over the summer maybe i could have done it...  :'(

TeeWJay426

Quote from: Ghoste on November 27, 2005, 10:21:24 AM
You could create an entire website out of this question.  There are just too many to even begin listing.  The TA's, the Hemi cars, the verts.  It goes on and on.

Same here. I've been playing with Mopar musclecars for nearly 25 years now; there were a lot of opportunities that came and went over those years. I kick myself in the arse several times over when I think of what I passed up and what they would be worth now.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Ghoste

I won't even mention a double ditto on the ones we had and should have kept.  Those damned, cheap, made in Taiwan crystal balls never worked right.

jaak

I Passed on a 1970 Charger RT-SE in 1996, I was 20 and just getting into mopar muscle cars, I always liked mopars, but finally had a decent job and still lived with my folks at the time, and could afford a car/project. A guy I knew had a 69 Charger and I fell for it and had to Have a 69, well this same guy told me he knew a guy with a charger for sale so I went with him to check it out. It was a 1970 RT-SE, rebuilt #'s matching 440 and 727 auto, new paint (orange) the interior just need new seat covers, on a scale from 1-10 I would rate it an 8 (now of course). The guy inherited it from is deceased father-in-law, and was just looking to make a quick buck. He was asking 4500, but told me he would take 3500, well being young and very stupid I passed on the car cause I really wanted a 69. A couple of months later I found out he had finally sold the car for 2200. I was sick.... cause over the years I learned how rare these cars are and I will never in my life again find a car like that, in that condition, for that low price, I finally found a 69RT a couple years later, bought it, it was a rust-bucket, and another year later bought another 69 RT Rust free, just misssing alot of parts..... so my project has been making 1 69 outta 2. Five years and many $$$$$$$$ later i'd say my car is 60-65% done I'm hoping to have it completely finished in 2006 some time. But that was a lesson learned, If I bought the 70, I would have just redone the interior, some detail work, and I would be driving and enjoying it years ago. Damn I get sick everytime I think about it!

Daytona R/T SE

In about 1981 there was a Superbird in town for sale, Lemon twist yellow 440 6bbl 4-spd   :o   The car had been spray bombed flat black and the wing and sixpack had been removed and stuffed in the trunk. They guy wanted $2500 for it...   I told him he was FU**ING nuts and walked away :brickwall:   The car sat there for a long time and finally dissapeared...

The red 383 automatic '70 Road runner with the airgrabber hood sitting behind the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer about the same time- $800   :brickwall:

At the same place was a nice looking 72 318 Charger with a bad tranny for $200   :brickwall:

About 83 or so- The NICE General Lee clone in town... The guy said he wanted to keep the 440 and the wheels but I could have the rest of it for $200   :flame:   I said no thanks, I've already got one Charger what the hell would I do with another one?

1980 My buddy's brother had a T-5 copper with tan interior 69 Charger with a 383 console automatic. he was driving it at the time and needed money for dope or something-the left rear quarter was banged up pretty bad- I passed on it for 75 bucks :brickwall:

1987 or so...69 Charger 383 car with a sloppy purple paint job on it-was advertised on the local radio "swap shop" I went over to this guy's house, looked it over, drove it, said "No thanks" for $200 :brickwall:

DAYTONAS!   About 79 or '80 I stopped at Gene Gregory's place ( My girlfreind at the time lived about three blocks away) and was talking to him about wing cars, he showed me a stack of pictures of superbirds and Daytonas, I told him I liked the Daytona the best, he showed me a pictre of a NICE red Daytona, he said he could sell me that one for $7000   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:   "course at the time the price may has well been a million$$$

There are more stories like this from my past. If I had a few beers I'm sure I could remember some more

teddy1500

It is sad to think of what was passed, I could retire
in 94 I passed on a 72 buick GS stage 1....$500.00
in 86 I passed on a 69 superbee, airgraber car, $600.00
in 86 a 70 torino cobra, with shaker$1500.00
in 87 a 68 GS converible.... $2500.00
over the years many 340 a bodies, and b bodies.
I like beater cars
A buddy of mine had a trashed out 70 R/T convert, with six pack. we destroyed that car, It has been restored,

Ghoste

It's interesting when you take it in context of the year.  A buddy of mine tried to buy a four speed Daytona once but the haggling stopped at ten thousand.  I forget now how far apart they were on the deal but it was close.  10g doesn't sound like much and he and I sometimes talk about how he should have paid a little more and got the car.  But that was in 1982.  10 grand was an awful lot of money to pay for a Daytona in 1982.

GTX

Yea, last night in my sleep I remembered about a dozen more.  I didn't sleep well and woke up in a bad mood today >:(

Back in the hemi Dart days, my father in law's father in law ran a Mopar dealership and they haggled over one of the original hemi Darts.
They were about $1000.00 apart when they got pissed at each other, called each other names and walked away.

$1000.00 difference for a NEW HEMI DART!!!

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 27, 2005, 11:21:42 AM
There are more stories like this from my past. If I had a few beers I'm sure I could remember some more

mustanghater

$ 11,000 in 1988 for a 1970 petty blue superbird with a sun roof. when we passed on it the guy wrecked it pulling out of a parking lot. It sits in his barn now with frame damedge.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Charger_Fan

The main one I wish I could turn back time for would be this one...

In about 1991 I was working in an auto parts store. One day this old guy comes in & spotted the Charger shirt I was wearing...he sez 'my son has a car that I bet you'd like'. I was thinking it would turn out to be some old beater or something, but I asked anyway "what kind of car?"
He said it's a lot like the one on my shirt, but it's got a big wing & a pointy nose on it. I could feel myself lose bladder control right there... :o

I asked "any chance I could look at it?" he was a little hesitant at first, but said 'ok, you just can't spread the word'...I said I had no problem with that!

I went directly to his house after work. When he rolled up that garage door I just about shot gravy down both legs! There was a 69 Daytona staring back at me!
I felt weak in the knees, hands trembled, I was sweating...the works. The old guy was just snickering at my reaction.
I stayed there for about 45 minutes checking it out. It was a 440/727 car with buckets, console & was pretty clean in & out, had had one average re-paint a few years earlier (there were runs in places)...but overall it was awesome!  :drool5:

The story on the car was; his son had loaned a guy money & the collateral was the Daytona & a 71 Charger R/T (I didn't see the R/T). It turned out the guy wasn't going to end up repaying the son, so the son (not a car guy at all) wanted to sell both cars to recoup his money.

I called the son the next day & asked how much he was needing to get out of the car. He said the amount loaned was $30,000 (if I remember correctly) & had no idea how much the Daytona was worth, but knew it was valuable.
I had the opportunity to get that car for around $27,000 (again if memory serves)!

My problem was at the time I had a new family, didn't make lots-o-money (ok, so I still don't  ;D ) & no way to get a loan amount that large.
I tried talking in-laws into investing some money into this venture, but they didn't think it was solid enough...yeesh! They're not car people either.

After trying for about a month to raise the money, I finally had to tell the son that I wouldn't be able to get it, but thanks for the opportunity anyway.  :-[

Sooo...I missed it by "that much".
I spent years trying to forget all about it, but simply can't. I still remember his name & am half tempted to call one day & ask what ever became of the Daytona?!

It looked just like this one...hell, for all I know, it IS this one. :-\

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

inhrmswy

my dad was just telling me the other day that in 1990 he passed on a 68 charger r/t for 1200 bucks...perfect body needed a little interior work.  I was mad and he has been kicking himself ever since.  but he has close to what he really wanted in the first place anyway.  He got himself a 68 roadrunner.  He really wanted a 69 but they always seemed to slip out from under him at the last minute.

bsakal

Makes me sick just thinking about it. I passed on a '69 Daytona 440 around 1989 for $15K, the guy wanted to go back to college, needed tuition money. He also was selling a '69 Charger 383 4bbl car that he installed a worked 440, and a local speed shop installed a Doug Nash 5 speed, he was going to build a Dity Mary Carazy Larry replica, sold it for 5 grand. Also in '89 close friend of the Daytona guy was selling a '69 Charger R/T with new paint, new vinyl top, dual quad 440 for 5 grand. I passed on it, then took my buddy to see it, and he passed on it, I should go over his house right now and kick his ass, or he should kick mine. He did eventually buy a '70 Charger 500 for 3 grand, sold it around '95 for 5 grand, and I passed on it! ARG!!!!
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Charger1970

I could have had a wrecked Daytona in 1986 for $3000. Like Daytona R/T SE said, it might as well have been $3 million. :'(
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

greenpigs

Well I only have a few and didn't really have much of a chance since I was broke & in my early teens.

1) My uncles 68 Hemi charger that he T-boned into a station wagon, some guy that owned a bodyshop bought it as he wanted $3500 I believe,this was in 1984.

2) a 69 RT convertible blue with a white top\int, for $4500, this one needed a transmission but was in great shape otherwise, around 1985.

3) 64 GTO owned by a different uncle that he sold before moving to PA, it was a 4 speed car with the standard mill. I think he got 2500 for it, around 83.

4) Multiple chargers from the same uncle that had the hemi, but these were rust buckets.

5) 68 charger 383 2bbl for $450 that ran and was mostly rust free but looked like someone had hit it with a ballbat every 4 inches. that was in 89 and I had the money but at the time it was to far gone.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Silver R/T

there were a few deals that I just couldnt afford or didnt have room to store them
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lowprofile

God, the list is sooooooooo long. :'( Hindsight truly is 20/20!

Here are just a few.......

1971 Ply. GTX For $900.  44O/6-PAK 4-Speed Dana 60  Black w/white stripe & interior

1969 1/2 RoadRunner     Missing motor/trans but otherwise complete   $1200.00  car was red/orange  w/black interior

1965 Buick  Riveria     Complete car.  425 Wildcat engine, 2 4bbls, Power everything  $600.

1969  Charger   383  4-Speed  Triple Black   Tons of Options   $ 1200.00

1968  Charger   383 auto   Triple Green [Medium]  cool car     $850

I could go on, but its just too depressing. :'(
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Big Lebowski

I missed this one...How about a '68 Firebird convert. 400 4 speed for $50 bucks, it had a 2" tree growing up the middle of it. However, i did buy the other car he had, a '70 Charger R/T 440 4 speed Dana driver for a $150. Yep, i had a $150 deal of a lifetime. Sold it for $500 a year later.
   Of course this was 1981, when you could pay $400 for a nice running Charger.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

RD

in 2001 I passed up a 71 plum crazy GTX with a 440/727.  Last registered 1979.  Asking price, $5,000.  It was all original, no rust, stored in an environmentally controlled garage and I am stupid.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HeavyFuel

Quote from: mustanghater on November 27, 2005, 12:04:42 PM
$ 11,000 in 1988 for a 1970 petty blue superbird with a sun roof. when we passed on it the guy wrecked it pulling out of a parking lot. It sits in his barn now with frame damedge.

...didn't know a sunroof was an available option on a Superbird...

2fast4u

I have only one that I wish I hadn't passed up.........a '70 Cuda.     It was primered all black and had an L88 scoop that was really, really badly bondoed on the car, I looked inside and it was a black interior with a pistol grip non-console car and had wrote on the winshield......
"$800.00     OBO   440   4spd"   also had slotted mag wheels on it.   I had the cash but passed it up because it looked soooo un-cool!

Man was I wrong!   later a friend of mine had bought the car and drove it home....after about an hour or two of getting sick of lookin' at that L88 scoop he proceded to rip it off the hood!     Low and behold it was a shaker hood....as soon as he seen that he looked at the VIN and noticed it was a "V" code car!     of all the dumb luck this guy has it....

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Ghoste

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 27, 2005, 09:02:37 PM
Quote from: mustanghater on November 27, 2005, 12:04:42 PM

...didn't know a sunroof was an available option on a Superbird...

That's okay, I didn't know MH was alive in 1988.