News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front spindle questions

Started by Peters02, October 01, 2009, 09:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

I have a 72 w drum brakes.  Regarding the front spindles, I have three questions
a) I had the spindles media blasted.  One of them got hit a bit where the inner bearing sits.  It is no longer "shiny"...it's got the dull, less than smooth finish of being blasted.  Is it OK enough to smooth it with fine sandpaper or will I make matters worse?  (I don't really want to have to get a new spindle.)
b) The foam gasket between the spindle and the backside of the brake backing plate - is this reproduced by anyone?  If not, what have people used as a replacement?
c) In the backing plate there is a foam-material seal (similar to the foam references in 'b').  The seal is around the hole that the spindle comes through - is this reproduced or if not, what have others used as a solution?

Thank you.
Peter

John_Kunkel

a) The bearing surface doesn't need to be shiny, the surface the seal rides on should be.

b) Most people just use a thin bead of RTV to seal the backing plate to the spindle.

c) I believe what you're seeing is the remains of the gasket in b.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Peters02

Thank you very much for the information. 
I appreciate the insight and helping me move foward on this thing.

Peter