News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column 1968

Started by MTPOCKET, November 26, 2005, 11:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPOCKET

Need a pic of the part that is missing from my steering column that makes my backup lights work. Here is a pic of my column with the missing part.   They is a hole if you can see it in the picture  but I don't know what goes in it or what it looks like?     ???

8WHEELER

If this is a column shift sorry I don't know, the console shift has it down on the shifter. But if you
have a column shift you probably allready know this.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Paul 500

Here a couple of pic of my column change 68, hope they help & if you need more pics let me know.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

MTPOCKET

I see your pictures but your missing it too. Something has to come out of the column to actuate the backup switch to make the backup lights work. Thats the part I need a pic of.     ???

Paul 500

I had a look in the manual & its a operating lever that goes in that hole.It says bend operating lever to remove from gearshift tube , then it says the lever cannot be reused. Looks like were gonna have fun tracking that part down.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Al

Hi

Has anyone found out yet? I'm having the same issue with my 68. Is this part still available and where? Or is there a way around it?

Kind regards
Alan
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

charge-it

Does anyone have a spare plug that those two purple wires are plugged into? I need one of those in the worse way! Somebody please help!!!
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

John_Kunkel

The part number for the pin that actuates the BU light switch is 2883211. Some NOS vendors have it.

http://www.bradsnosparts.com/inventory/partDetails.asp?pid=6043028&startNumb=2880380&psize=

Some other numbers for the same pin are 2880380 and 2880948.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Al

John

Thanks for your reply! Can it be replaced without having to remove the steering column?

Alain

charge-it

I don`t mean to hijack this thread but would anybody have one of the plastic wiring plugs for the reverse lamp harness/switch as shown in the pics above? I need one badly for my 68 Charger.
Visit our new website:

charge-it

Visit our new website:

Al

The pin that actuates the BU light switch is impossible to replace without removing the steering column, at least that's my conclusion after struggling for several hours with that °+*ç% pin.  :brickwall: The FSM says it should be anchored via a hammer stroke. Things being so tight down there it's really impossible to get it in. So .... ?

Does anyone have another solution to actuate the backup lights?

Al

histoy

Some people simply use a toggle switch.

Al

Thanks Histoy.
But isn't there any other way to replace the original pin?

Al

Green71R/T

You can update the transmission neutral safety switch to the later three pin type and use the later harness to the transmision.

Al

Does this later three pin type transmission neutral safety switch also activate the back up lights when the column shift lever is in reverse?  :o

Green71R/T

Yes.Going on my eniebriated memory the two outer pins are for back up lights and the centre pin is neutral safety grounded internally.

John_Kunkel

In order to use the 3-prong NSS in a '68 the valve body lever (roostercomb) must be changed for one from a '69 or '70, a '71 or later won't work.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Al

So to replace the pin and mechanical lever in my 68 steering column to actuate my back up lights, I'll need :
a) a 69-70 transmission harness
b) a 3-prong NSS
c) a 69-70 valve body lever

Is this correct? Where could I find these parts?

Kind regards
Al

Al

Al

beezee

I had the same problem, the plastic pin broke off and I used a # 12-24 bolt x 2" long[from my son,s drum kit]and it nicely tapped into the column.

Al