News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disk brake caliper hardware question

Started by mamatried01, September 30, 2009, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamatried01

Anyone know where these go? They came with the new caliper hardware kit.
4 rubber rings.

b5blue

green69rt

Quote from: mamatried01 on September 30, 2009, 10:01:02 AM
Anyone know where these go? They came with the new caliper hardware kit.
4 rubber rings.

Those go around the brake caliper between the shoe tabs and the big piece of metal.  They are to prevent the shoes from smacking against the metal every time you apply the brakes.  They usually get brittle with age and disintegrate so they are gone by the time you change shoes.  Thus nobody recognizes them.

b5blue

I get the idea but can't picture exactly where/how?  :shruggy:

mamatried01

Quote from: b5blue on October 01, 2009, 08:38:29 AM

Ya, what he said. Anybody got any pics?

John_Kunkel

The elongated rubber O rings go between the stamped steel retainer clips and the caliper adapter. Not used on all years.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on October 01, 2009, 08:38:29 AM

You may not need them.  I looked and looked and can't find any picture of how they install. 

One some cars there is a tiny bit of clearance between the pad and the housing.  Whenever you apply the breaks this clearance is taken up and you will hear a click or snap coming from your wheels.  If you don't know where to look it will drive you crazy.

To cure the problem manufacturers tried several versions of the rubber band fix.  The heat form the brakes usually ate them up before the brakes wore out.  The band is installed so it goes between the brake shoe ears and the land that the shoe rests on.  Now-a-days I think most brakes use a little flat metal spring (the flat plate in your first picture) to keep the shoe up against the caliper land to prevent the slick.