News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk floor replacement questions

Started by NGC414, September 30, 2009, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

The trunk floor in my 68 charger was boarderline, so I decided to just replace it while I was doing the lower rear 1/4s and extensions anyway.

Now that I started on it, it is proving to be a challenge.

I have a few questions:
They sell 2 piece and one piece trunk pans. Is there any benefit to one over the other? (I imagine the 1 piece would maybe be better since I would not need to weld the seam together).

There are three brackets on the back of the trunk compartment, one that connects to the trunk latch. Is it easier to cut the welds from the bottom of the brace and slide the new pan under or just remove the brackets all together and weld them back in?

Any other tips/ advise would be great.

Troy

The one piece trunk pan won't fit through the trunk opening so it's not really an option unless you have the tail panel or some other large piece of metal. Since you are replacing the lower quarters you may have room. :shruggy: The one piece is probably also thicker and the two piece will leave a seam depending on how you do it.

We just cut the welds at the bottom of the center support and replaced the bumper supports completely on mine.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

green69rt

Quote from: NGC414 on September 30, 2009, 09:45:57 AM
The trunk floor in my 68 charger was boarderline, so I decided to just replace it while I was doing the lower rear 1/4s and extensions anyway.

Now that I started on it, it is proving to be a challenge.

I have a few questions:
They sell 2 piece and one piece trunk pans. Is there any benefit to one over the other? (I imagine the 1 piece would maybe be better since I would not need to weld the seam together).

There are three brackets on the back of the trunk compartment, one that connects to the trunk latch. Is it easier to cut the welds from the bottom of the brace and slide the new pan under or just remove the brackets all together and weld them back in?

Any other tips/ advise would be great.

There's a ton of info about this on this site.  Do searchs.  It will give you more info than I can ever put in a note.