News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is driving a stick shift becoming a lost art?

Started by Charger440RDN, September 26, 2009, 11:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

I didn't realize that the total percentage of citizens driving in the Netherlands had gotten so high.  I knew it was a lot but anything near 95% kind of surprises me. 

(No wonder they've been importing so many american musclecars lately . . . )

The mileage thing really can't be overstated, at least in terms of impact in the past.  I mean, an old Mopar (which had what was considered a very good automatic tranny in general) could lose something like 25% of its power before it got to the rear wheels.  No small amount of that was in the slipping tranny. 

draftingmonkey

Quote from: Ghoste on September 28, 2009, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on September 28, 2009, 01:33:08 PM
Everyone should drive a non synchro 4 speed tranny! Then you will truely know how to shift a manual.

Todd

There's the quick way to tell who the farm boys are. :icon_smile_wink:
Or folks who drive non-synchro cars (such as early Jags).  How about having to learn to double clutch thrown in the mix.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-double-clutching.htm

Todd Wilson

Quote from: draftingmonkey on September 30, 2009, 09:37:24 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 28, 2009, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on September 28, 2009, 01:33:08 PM
Everyone should drive a non synchro 4 speed tranny! Then you will truely know how to shift a manual.

Todd

There's the quick way to tell who the farm boys are. :icon_smile_wink:
Or folks who drive non-synchro cars (such as early Jags).  How about having to learn to double clutch thrown in the mix.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-double-clutching.htm

Yup!   You will really learn how to shift and understand the rpms of your engine. We've been spoiled with the synchro trannys.

Todd

Troy

I don't believe that stick shift cars get better mileage these days. Many cars with automatics actually have a higher MPG than the same car with a stick. I believe it has to do with the overdrive and gear ratios. Another thing, the newer electronic transmissions with lockout converters are very advanced and tuned for mileage. I don't think a person (ok, most people) manually shifting could be nearly as accurate.

I prefer to drive a stick but, yeah, many people have no idea how and/or are too lazy. You can't hold your Starbucks, a newspaper, talk on the phone, and steer with your knees if you have to keep pushing in the clutch pedal. Besides, a whole bunch of people already drive with two feet (one on the gas and one on the brake) so they'd never be able to use the third pedal.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Troy on September 30, 2009, 01:42:33 PM
I don't believe that stick shift cars get better mileage these days. Many cars with automatics actually have a higher MPG than the same car with a stick. I believe it has to do with the overdrive and gear ratios. Another thing, the newer electronic transmissions with lockout converters are very advanced and tuned for mileage. I don't think a person (ok, most people) manually shifting could be nearly as accurate.

I prefer to drive a stick but, yeah, many people have no idea how and/or are too lazy. You can't hold your Starbucks, a newspaper, talk on the phone, and steer with your knees if you have to keep pushing in the clutch pedal. Besides, a whole bunch of people already drive with two feet (one on the gas and one on the brake) so they'd never be able to use the third pedal.

Troy

Ya i think you're right on that one.   I picked a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 for example and the only advantage the stick gives you is 1 mpg difference in city driving, accoring to the fuel economy.gov website.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."