News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New rear end whinning, why?

Started by Go Hogs Go, March 27, 2009, 09:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Hogs Go

I've got a 3:23 sure grip with new gears, bearings, and it's set up to the proper specs. We've been in this thing twice and cannot get it to stop whining above 45 mph with the power on. It's quiet under 45 and whines above 45 with power on only. The wear pattern on the gears is perfect, ruling out the pinion depth and the back lash on the ring gear is set to 8 thousands. We don't know what else to do. Are the gears just breaking in, or do these things just whine sometimes? We've got about 500 miles on the car. There is absolutely no mechanical reason for it to whine.
Go Hogs!

Ghoste

Could be breaking in, how loud is it and how many miles are on it now?

Go Hogs Go

It's not really all that loud. It's probably got 500 miles on it.
Go Hogs!

Ghoste

I know it's hard to diagnose a noise this way but in this case it may not be a cause for concern.  All the same, if there is a good gear guy in your area who can give it a listen, it would only take a minute.

Dans 68

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on March 27, 2009, 09:19:22 AM
There is absolutely no mechanical reason for it to whine.

If there is noise then there probably is a mechanical reason. Did you add MOPAR Hypoid Gear Oil Additive Friction Modifier? Since it occurs above 45 mph the rotating mass may just be singing a bit due to harmonics. Give it another 500 miles to set-in and re-examine it. You may want to change the brand/amount of lube also. What is now in it?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

firefighter3931

Some gearsets are known to be noisy. It's possible that it's still breaking-in.  :yesnod: I like to use 85/140 gear oil with the friction modifier...what are you using for lube in yours ?

I've also found that doing figure 8's in a parking lot will help loosen things up....especially if the suregrip unit is fresh....might be worth a try  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dans 68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 27, 2009, 03:11:19 PM
I've also found that doing figure 8's in a parking lot will help loosen things up....especially if the suregrip unit is fresh....might be worth a try  ;)

Ron

Good idea. When I've changed my lube i've done figure eights, in both directions, to force the additive into the nooks and crannies. Do about 8 laps. :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Corellian Corvette

That's funny - my tranny guy just gave me the same advice (do figure 8's). Seemes to have really helped (mine car is like JUST on the road so I have maybe 50 miles on)

tecmopar

Just curious, what brand of gears are they.

Challenger340

If no noise occurs generally only in 1 load direction;

On "coast", the pinion is pushed "out of mesh".
On "Drive" the Pinion is pulled "into mesh".

It would seem to be the Front Pinion Bearing.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

426HemiCharger

Did you try "Sure-Grip" Lube?

It may be Hypoid Gear oil but I have never heard it called that name.

If lube doesn't do anything then check the clearance between the pinion and ring gears.  Did you modify it because it may whine of there is a locker kit installed.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Go Hogs Go

I'll check the front pinion bearing, we haven't done that. I can't remember what gear oil we used off hand. I'll check it out and try some figure 8's :drive:
Go Hogs!

Hemidog

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on March 28, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
I'll check the front pinion bearing, we haven't done that. I can't remember what gear oil we used off hand. I'll check it out and try some figure 8's :drive:

Did it work itself out? or did you find a problem?

I have the exact same symptoms as you, but my rearend have not been rebuilt while I've owned it.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 27, 2009, 03:11:19 PM
Some gearsets are known to be noisy. It's possible that it's still breaking-in.

well in my case, I don't think is STILL breaking in since is my driver. plus the whinning is from 0 to any speed, acelerating and releasing the pedal acelñerator... so EVERYTIME.

and yes, it has enough backslash
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html