News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BEST WAY TO PAINT VALVE COVERS

Started by dkn1997, November 26, 2005, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I have a set that I stripped down to the bare metal.  I am painting them with the MP street hemi orange paint.  I know the paint is super thin and really not that good, but it's what's on the rest of the motor and I need it to match.

question is should I prime first?  if so, then with what?

alsok, should I high temp clear it when I am done?
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

i would definitely primer them and then use high temp paint/clear
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

8WHEELER

I have had the best luck with using primer ''does not seem to matter witch brand'' then use the
Mopar paint, sticks real well and it has a better stock look to it. I have had several mopar guys
ask me how I did mine.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

dkn1997

I would love to try some other paint, but the rest of the motor was done with the mp stuff and I don't know if I can get a good enough match.  plus it's only valve covers, so I can live with the thin coats.

so any brand primer, huh?  ok, good enough.
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

if you can afford it I would try to powdercoat them

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 27, 2005, 12:49:27 AM
Exactly which color powder would match??? Kind of contradictory any way isn't it?
Quote from: Silver R/T on November 26, 2005, 08:15:24 PM

I agree (although I'm no expert) with primering them first and then using the Mopar paint to match everything else.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used a primer as well...a high build scratch filling primer
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on November 27, 2005, 05:36:32 AM
Exactly which color powder would match??? Kind of contradictory any way isn't it?

I agree (although I'm no expert) with primering them first and then using the Mopar paint to match everything else.

Troy

I haven't actually looked at my local powder coat guy's selection of colors but it'd be nice to know if he had a match for mopar orange.   Wouldn't hurt to ask.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

cudaken

dkn1997, going to guess you don't paint with a gun. I strip mine to bare steel with 120 grit then 220 DA till they have a good shine. Then I use a sealer, a none sanding primer or a epoxy primer. I do not know of any that comes is a spray can.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Troy

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 27, 2005, 07:00:24 AM

Troy

I haven't actually looked at my local powder coat guy's selection of colors but it'd be nice to know if he had a match for mopar orange. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

:D I was pointing out the two different (contradicting) answers by the same person...

Any way, I looked it up. Eastwood sells:
Hot Coat Chrysler Orange Powder - Appropriate for valve covers and other engine parts on motors with hemispherical combustion chambers. Hybrid formulation. Cure at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes after flow out occurs (transitions from a dry powder to a liquid look).
http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=15147&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=844&iSubCat=845&iProductID=15147

Now, the problems with coating used valve covers is that they'll need prep work to bake out all the old oils in the metal before applying the powder or it will fisheye just like paint. I'm sure that any decent shop could do it. I've not powder coated anything that large yet so I have no guesses on price.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on November 27, 2005, 12:55:18 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 27, 2005, 07:00:24 AM

Troy

I haven't actually looked at my local powder coat guy's selection of colors but it'd be nice to know if he had a match for mopar orange. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

:D I was pointing out the two different (contradicting) answers by the same person...

Any way, I looked it up. Eastwood sells:
Hot Coat Chrysler Orange Powder - Appropriate for valve covers and other engine parts on motors with hemispherical combustion chambers. Hybrid formulation. Cure at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes after flow out occurs (transitions from a dry powder to a liquid look).
http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=15147&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=844&iSubCat=845&iProductID=15147

Now, the problems with coating used valve covers is that they'll need prep work to bake out all the old oils in the metal before applying the powder or it will fisheye just like paint. I'm sure that any decent shop could do it. I've not powder coated anything that large yet so I have no guesses on price.

Troy

Cool deal on the new color!   I have no idea on valve covers at the moment... cost me $75 to get the six pack air cleaner bottom cleaned, beaded, and coated satin black.   Each powder coater has their own prices.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

cudaken

Heck, send them to me I do them for free. Will be getting some epoxy primer for Allens Challenger in a few weeks anyway.

Bored and love something to do Ken
I am back

Silver R/T

hey Ive got 68 grille you can work on if youre that bored :)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cudaken

Can I use rivet and glue  ;D

Cuda Ken

PS, has to do with a posting in Paint and Body :icon_smile_approve:
I am back