News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd Gen Front Valance Trim

Started by TexasStroker, September 28, 2009, 02:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I was at a show Saturday and one of the guys (72 Charger SE) in the club was asking me and a friend (73 Charger) if we had seen any third gens with trim on the front valance lip.  His (original car) had holes drilled out in the lip which would seem to be from a missing trim piece.  We took a look and thought it was odd.  He seemed to think it might have been a feature on some 71-72s.

I got to thinking about it and for the life of me I can not remember ever seeing one with trim in this location, not that I'd paid extra attention or anything.  The area I'm talking about is on the valance where it bends like a smile between the park lights below the bumper (if that makes sense...I'm at work so I can't post a pic with arrows, lol).  I'll resort to that if my description makes no sense  ;D

I figured someone on here could answer it pretty quick.  Thanks in advance for any insight!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Beer

Gonna guess you mean the front spoiler?

Pic from the 3rd Gen Thread

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

TexasStroker

No, lol...I should have stated "not the spoiler."  I actually mean stainless trim on the surface of the valance lip...His is drilled (very similar to say wheel well mouldings) and that is what we are wondering.
Just the mouth where it drops down and runs from park light to park light.  It would make sense to have some level of trim available there although I have never seen it on any 68-70s or 71-74s, but like I said I wasn't really looking.  It would offset nicely for the right car.

If that still doesnt make sense just give me some time after work and I'll edit the pic with paint  :laugh:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Rallye

It is my understanding that the lower valance trim only came on 71 SE Chargers, but the holes are on all 71-72 valances.  I see there's a NOS piece available on eBay for $450.00,  :o  too steep for me.   
1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

magnum

My 71 had the trim and my 72 both were SE models. I think I still have one :scratchchin:.-Rich
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

NHCharger

My 71 SE has that trim piece you are talking about. It's pretty beat.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TexasStroker

Very interesting...I'll forward the info.  When he got the car the body was fairly rough, but the trim was in place...he recently repainted and had been bothered by the holes.  The paint and body turned out pretty good and it is one of the cars that looks good with full trim.  I doubt he'd one to shell out $450 for a replacement piece either  :o

Thanks for the info!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasStroker

Wow, pretty expensive little strip of metal, lol.  I'll shoot him an e-mail with the auction link. 

So it was a 71 only option and 71 & 72 valances had the pre-drilled holes?

I'm partial to the painted lip, but I can imagine a few 3rd gens where the trim would look good  :yesnod:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!