News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally done! Showing off my '68. (Warning - Lots of pics!)

Started by Corellian Corvette, September 28, 2009, 01:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

On June 29th, 2006 I posted for the first time on this forum, asking questions about a 68 Charger I was considering. The car looked great, with new paint and bodywork, and the seller claimed it only needed a couple things but was a good driver.

I was SO excited to get one of my dream cars, and although it was not my first classic car purchase, I make the horrible mistake of buying it from an online ad without inspecting the car in person.

While not QUITE as bad as the "BK AUTO special" that's been posted here – it was close. The car was a horrible, horrible mess. The ad was a complete lie, and the "new paint" was covering several hundred pounds of bondo. The car had been hit, was totally crooked, and instead of using sheet metal to repair the damage, and the seller had used TIN CANS, chicken wire, latex gloves and duct tape, covered over in bondo. The rear window channel was completely rotted out, with the windshield held in place by plastic T-molding and body bonding glue.  :brickwall:

Long story short – the full restoration began. The car was at my friends paint shop from July 2006 until February 2009 – nearly 50% of the metal on the car is new. The Floorpans, Roof, Doors, Cowl, Rear deck lid and rocker panels are the only exterior sheet metal that was not replaced. Nothing in the interior was kept except the dash frame, seat frames, and the shifter. Everything else had to be re-sourced.

Even the engine and transmission had internal damage beyond repair, and had to be replaced. The only part I was able to keep from the original engine was the (thankfully) very nice HP exhaust manifolds and the original
A/C Air Cleaner.

It came home in Feb, and took several more months to get back together.

With so much that had to be changed – I got to make the car exactly what I wanted. I was able to drive the car a little over the summer, working out the kinks.
A little about the changes
Engine: 71 400 Block, Stroked to 470ci. Edelbrock heads, Hydraulic Roller Cam, Mopar Perf. Aluminum Intake. MSD R2R Billet Dizzy, MSD High Vibration Coil. All painted the correct factory Blue with as much branding removed a possible to make it a sleeper! Dynoed at 470HP, 540TQ with the cast-iron exhaust manifolds!
Suspension: Firm Feel Front and Rear Sway Bars, Stage 2 Steering Box and Fast-Ratio Pitman Arm. Tubular Upper control arms, Aluminum Strut Rods.
Brakes: M/P Brakes 4-Wheel Discs with drilled/slotted rotors
Transmission and Rear: Rebuilt 727 with B&M Shift Kit, 2400 Stall Convertor and 3:55 rear gears, HD pinion and custom balanced driveshaft
Exhaust: Accurate Exhaust w/ Hemi Mufflers (sounds AMAZING!)
Interior: XV 3-point seatbelts and Power Windows, Pioneer BT700 stereo with hidden Infinity speakers (subwoofer coming!) and Bluetooth (I can do conference calls in the car!)

Classic Auto Air rebuilt a factory box, with their engine-side Sanden kit and custom bent hard-lines to approximate the factory look.

Of course, I have the Wolo Dixie horn, and the American Racing Vector wheels, 15x7 in front, 15x8.5 in the rear. My nod to the General!

I want to thank everyone on the forum for all the help and advice as I fumbled my way through this. I want to send a special thanks to Rod at GSW Restorations for doing an AMAZING job rebuilding my Grille. Stunning work!

It was a beautiful (and cool) fall weekend so I waxed the car and had my wife take some pictures. I've never posted the finished car here – so I guess this is his "coming out" party. Thanks for listening to my story!

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dans 68

Very nice....  :drool5:

Did the original dual snorkel air cleaner have a magnum pie tin, or did you add it? I'm always looking for good examples of original '68 factory equipment.   :cheers:

Did I say nice car? Nice is an understatement....  :o

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Hemidog

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:

very -very -very nice!
I love that last photo  :drool5:  :2thumbs: A really tasty choice of the few mods there... What is the front seat cover pattern from and is the rear done to match?... I bet your glad you didn't go with the '69 tail lights now huh?  :icon_smile_wink:
Can I get a ride?...  :shruggy:
I reread your inital posts and that car looks about twenty times better then when ya' bought it. At least!  :yesnod:

:cheers: congradulations on a job well done! BEAUTIFUL!  :o
I'd love to see a Video...  :popcrn:

miamivice

sweet ride...congrats!  were you parked up on the hill at spring roundup this year?  was my favorite car at the show  :coolgleamA:

Go Hogs Go

Go Hogs!

Tilar

Gorgeous! Man that is like what I want to do to mine plus a black vinyl top.  That paint sure has a nice shine to it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Corellian Corvette

Wow! Thanks for the kind words eveyone. It's certainly been a labor of love and I really appreciate the comments!

Brock - the seat covers are a generic pattern and yes, the rear bench matches. It's funny where you decide to save money when $$ are tight. I bought a set of generic Seat Covers off ebay and both seats + the bench were less then just the bench seat covers from Legendary/PUI. So I decided to pocket the cash for now. A some point in the future, I'll probably spring for the correct covers.

Dan - I'm pretty sure the air cleaner tin is incorrect. It's too small for the base and I suspect they changed it since it's originally a 2bbl car, and they swapped to a 4bbl manifold/carb and I'm pretty sure the correct 4bbl AC bases are pretty rare. If anyone has one - I'd love to buy it!

miamivice - yes, that was me. The car wasn't done yet, and I had JUST got it running, so I drove it to the roundup but didn't show it. Thanks for the compliment!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Love it!!!  It has a great stance.

Can I offer some constructive criticism?   Loose the dukes horns in front of the rad!
If you must have 'em hide 'em in the trunk ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

NYCMille

nelson_audet

69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger440RDN

Wow!! I dream of having a charger this nice one day!! Nice job, best year too 1968!! :2thumbs: :cheers:

Back N Black

BB1

Delete my profile

Corellian Corvette

Thanks again!

The front speakers are installed in place of the original dash speaker, per this string:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.msg562450.html#msg562450

For the rears, I installed Infintiy Kappa speakers in the rear package tray. I re-located the rear window defroster blower motor and cut a hole to circulate the air. That's why if you look at the rear package tray you will see this single speaker grille - it's not a speaker it's actually a blower motor vent..

Since I'm using a modern aftermarket radio, it's got a great amp and the speakers sound GREAT. It only lacks a deep bass which I will rectify soon with a moderate sub.

RD

Albert,

You are one proud daddy!!! Glad you got her done and you can enjoy her now.  She is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Jamey
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

SnoPro440

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

472 R/T SE

I really like that black on black.  Looks sharp.  :2thumbs:

Were you at one of the DC.com meets?

teamroth

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

BBKNARF

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

jb666

That is gorgeous!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few of those are desktop material!!!  :drool5:

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WHITE AND RED 69

Damn that is a beauty! :drool5: love the look with the vecters. great job! :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

CurtisC

Purple68