News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone catch the 'Cash for Clunkers' list of traded in vehicles?

Started by Cooperman, September 24, 2009, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooperman

I get sent a Facebook link every now and then to a site called CarGurus - don't know if anyone else catches it. http://www.cargurus.com/blog/?from=cgPage&pid=092409

The most recent one contained some startling information. The list of traded-in cars under the scrappage scheme is out, and it'll make you cry.
I understand that it's all about selling more cars, and 'alledgedly' saving the planet,  ::) but as a car guy it made me wonder...

These are the ones they highlighted:

Quote1997 Aston Martin DB7 Volante
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet Quattro
1992 BMW 850i
1987 Buick GNX
2007-2008 Chrysler 300 AWD
1987 Excalibur Autos Phaeton
2000 Jaguar XK8 convertible
1985 Maserati Quattroporte
2005 Mazda RX8
1997 Rolls-Royce Continental R
2008 Scion xD

But in addition to these, the sheer number of 'brand new' trucks and cars that have met their doom makes me cry. There's a 2006 Roush Stage 3 F-150 Supercab for Petes sake! Those things are worth 10 times the rebate, certainly over here in Europe. If you didn't give a crap about the reasons behind the C for C deal, most of these exotics and newer vehicles could have been exported for many times the rebate value.

Here's the link to the official government website, and their PDF download. http://www.cars.gov/
Please take the time to read the list. The newer cars are towards the bottom of each manufacturers section. You'll see what I mean...
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Smokey Bear

I would suppose most of those cars, new or otherwise, were damaged (or turned in by soon-to-be exes).

Regardless, none of the cars on that list are a real loss. When they start crushing any real classic iron that people have a passion for I'll start to worry about it. The GnX is the only one that I feel anything for, and its only a minor twitch.

Lizey

camaros, el caminos, corvettes, monte carlos, turbo k-cars, ramchargers, thunderbirds, cougars, mustangs, cutlasses, furys, fieros, firebirds... all cars id love to have gone thanks to mister obama...   :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

aussiemuscle

Quote2008 Scion xD
I thought you had to get a certain MPG improvement with your new car before you get it. i wouldn't have thought you'd get enough miles per gallon to qualify for the rebate from a little scion (virtually brand new one at that).
i read on the Pontiac thirdgen forums that they were crying about the firebirds being lost. They were showing pix of allegedly traded cars that were 'cherry' and they were pizzed that their own cars were rust buckets. the whole scheme reeks. they want the same thing to occur in AUS too.

Charger440RDN

No great loss if you ask me  :shruggy: as long as they don't include cars before year model 1974,  I could care less what they crush.

Tilar

Quote from: aussiemuscle on September 24, 2009, 11:47:04 PM
Quote2008 Scion xD
I thought you had to get a certain MPG improvement with your new car before you get it. i wouldn't have thought you'd get enough miles per gallon to qualify for the rebate from a little scion (virtually brand new one at that).
i read on the Pontiac thirdgen forums that they were crying about the firebirds being lost. They were showing pix of allegedly traded cars that were 'cherry' and they were pizzed that their own cars were rust buckets. the whole scheme reeks. they want the same thing to occur in AUS too.

Had to be less than 18 mpg. That's why the epa changed estimated mpg so many cars to 18 about a week into this, because there were so many being traded in.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

So much for reduce, reuse and recycle. I wish they'd get their message straight.

Ghoste

I think in this case it was more likely re-elect, re-elect, and re-elect.

Tilar

It was just a way for them to sell off a bunch of the cars that were still in stock and remove the trade-ins from the market. I guess they figured that if there are no used ones to buy, people will buy new.
Dave  

Silver R/T

That can't be real some of those cars get more than 18mpg and that alone would make them disqualify from CARS.
I wanted to say that you were eligible to turn in your Ferrari's, Lamborgini's and other exotics and you qualified for $4500 off of new toyota, what a stupid government scheme.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TylerCharger69

Quote from: Lizey on September 24, 2009, 09:08:53 PM
camaros, el caminos, corvettes, monte carlos, turbo k-cars, ramchargers, thunderbirds, cougars, mustangs, cutlasses, furys, fieros, firebirds... all cars id love to have gone thanks to mister obama...   :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

What?...wait a minute....the "K" cars and the fieros  I could care less about....but the others you mentioned are part of classic car history...even if they aren't Chargers.  The Fury is a Mopar by the way.    Are you sure you are posting in the right forum???   And...."Thanks to mister Obama?"   Mister Obama as you put it is a total assclown....I really had hopes he would change the nation....only to learn he's doing everything he said he WASN'T going to do.  And this cash for clunkers thing is nothing but a scam for tree huggers!!!   just my opinion

Charger440RDN

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 25, 2009, 07:18:52 PM
camaros, el caminos, corvettes, monte carlos, turbo k-cars, ramchargers, thunderbirds, cougars, mustangs, cutlasses, furys, fieros, firebirds... all cars id love to have gone thanks to mister obama...   :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

What?...wait a minute....the "K" cars and the fieros  I could care less about....but the others you mentioned are part of classic car history...even if they aren't Chargers.  The Fury is a Mopar by the way.    Are you sure you are posting in the right forum???   And...."Thanks to mister Obama?"   Mister Obama as you put it is a total assclown....I really had hopes he would change the nation....only to learn he's doing everything he said he WASN'T going to do.  And this cash for clunkers thing is nothing but a scam for tree huggers!!!   just my opinion

this whole cash for clunkers thing was the equivalent of a sexual orgy for these tree huggers. They want nothing more than to see the automobile die, they hate ALL cars, ask Al Gore (Mr.we don't need the combustion engine anymore)  :flame:. This was just the first step, stay tuned  :Twocents:

greenpigs

Not sure if anyone remembers but nothing older than 25 years was eligbile. It was mostly SUV's and pickups. My sister traded in an 94 caprice with the LT1 in it. I wouldn't give her 4500 for it. If I didnt mind going deeper in debt I would have traded my 85 vette in. The rating was 17 mpg and again would be more than money than I could get. Ten years from now the vette should be worth more than 4500, but I dont plan on owning it that long.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Tilar

There were sure a lot of cars destroyed out of stupidity that could have got a lot of people through college.
Dave  

mauve66

not physically possible for some of those cars that the owner would want only $4500 for it, the list is bogus
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Road Dog

Kinda sad all those Dodge Dakotas were traded. Wonder how many were R/T's.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Lizey

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 25, 2009, 07:18:52 PM

What?...wait a minute....the "K" cars and the fieros  I could care less about....but the others you mentioned are part of classic car history...even if they aren't Chargers.  The Fury is a Mopar by the way.    Are you sure you are posting in the right forum???   And...."Thanks to mister Obama?"   Mister Obama as you put it is a total assclown....I really had hopes he would change the nation....only to learn he's doing everything he said he WASN'T going to do.  And this cash for clunkers thing is nothing but a scam for tree huggers!!!   just my opinion

guess i am misunderstood

1) i like the k-car personally... i drive one and raced one i dig 'em... fieros are ok
2) i am aware the Fury is a Mopar (Plymouth) and im actually quite a fan (late 70's ones anyway)
3) i despise obama, the "mister" was sarcastic... if respect for that man was dynamite i wouldnt have enough to blow my nose
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

Charger-Bodie

OK this has went right on ahead and gotton too political. I will be locking it now

PS Just as you had a choice on whether or not to post in this thread, all of those people made the choice to trade in the cars that qualified too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............