News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brake Caliper Upgrade for MP Brakes/Aspen Swap?

Started by Corellian Corvette, September 27, 2009, 01:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I have a disc brake conversion on my 68 and I'm thinking about upgrading the front calipers. I have the MP brakes swap which I understand is the same as the old Volare/Aspen setup.

I have the 11" slotted rotors, and I don't want to change out the whole system, just upgrade the calipers to maybe a 4-piston setup.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get new calipers without a whole new system.

Thanks!

HPP

I'm not aware of anyone making a caliper upgrade kit for the 10.87 calipers. Most of the Wilwood kits are based on a 10.5 rotor kit and do not interchange with stock rotors. The increase in braking ability comes from bigger rotors, so most kits tend to lean towards the 11.75 stock rotors, 12.19 aftermarket rotors, or 13-14 inch kits.

The benefits in swapping to a modern 4 piston caliper design is going to be lighter weight and improved pedal feedback at speed. To complement those, it really is best to step up to the larger rotors. With diligent shopping, you can perform this type of swap for under $1000 depending on which route you take.

Two that I'm familiar with are from AR Engineering. One adapts Wilwood calipers to 11.75 rotors on the OEM disc spindle, the other adapts Viper calipers to the OEM drum spindle.  The bracket kits for either of these runs around $200. I've found Wilwood calipers for around $125-140 each and Viper calipers around $150-200 each. The 11.75 rotors are available at most parts stores for $50 or occasionally Rock Auto has them for $38.

If you need help sourcing any of these, drop me a line. I have both a Wilwood and Viper kit currently available. Below is a picture of the calipers. For comparison sake, here are weights of calipers with pads; stock 10#, Viper 8#, Wilwood 4# . Caliper bracket weights are; stock 3.5#, Viper 2.5#, Wilwood 1#

b5blue

No photos?  :shruggy: MP brake set up is 73-76 A Body set up (Dart/Duster) not Aspen. All you need to go to 11 3/4 rotors is the rotors and larger caliper adapters (must have 15 wheels)  :Twocents:

HPP

Yeah, I'm having a sizing problem I'm trying to resolve. Hang tight while I work it out.

Rolling_Thunder

11.75" rotors, AR Engineering brackets for Viper Calipers and the Viper calipers themselves...  this set up works amazing - especially on a light A-body
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Corellian Corvette

HPP

They work equally well on a Charger, but the less the car weighs, the more impact things like brake leverage or acceleration power will have on it.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on September 27, 2009, 07:12:43 PM
What about on the larger charger?

Still work great - just A-bodies weigh less...       But still work awesome on the Charger

Mike DC

Gotta love how lightweight the Wilwood stuff always is. 

Corellian Corvette

Interesting. Seems like the first thing I should do is consider moving up to the 11.75in Rotors.

I already have the disc brake spindle, so I'm bummed I can't go with the viper caliper.

Does anyone make a drilled/slotted rotor that is OEM for the 11.75 rotor? I can't find one at NAPA and not sure what car to search elsewhere...

b5blue

I gotta say the NAPA rotors look MUCH better than the "made in who knows where" one's I bought from brand X parts house.

Rolling_Thunder

Corellian Corvette

Thanks! Purchased those, and the slider brackets! We'll see how I like the 11.75 rotors over the MP brakes 10"