News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RT VIN

Started by 68X426, September 26, 2009, 09:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Visited a show today, didn't have my car though. Regarding a 1968 Charger, saw one billed as an RT. The VIN was XP29G8B. G was for 383 2 barrel, correct? A 2 barrel could never be an RT? Please correct me if I'm wrong: a 383, 2b or 4b, can never be an RT and an RT was never equipped with a 383.  Right? :scratchchin:

And for the Chevy lurkers out there, the Best of Show went to a 67 Camaro SS. It didn't look right to me, so when I got home I looked up the VIN on google. Started with 123. The 3 is for a 6 cylinder, and I am dead sure that a SS would never have a 6.

Shouldn't a clone go all the way, and get the right motor? Why just throw a badge on it? And the judges don't even catch the easy ones? Is just me?  :faint:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dans 68

Yep, XP means not R/T, and a 383 was the biggest engine available. "G" means 383 2-barrel.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

Thanks for the confirmation. :yesnod:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Blown70

was this a clone show?  Sounds like the charger and camero both were?

Ghoste

As an aside, an RT would start with "XS".

68X426

I didn't think there was such a thing as a clone show. Not heard of one.

It was a Concours show with over 350 listed entries (may have been more than 400) in more than 20 diverse categories, everything from steamers, to woodies, dusenbergs, muscle, porsche, truck, indian, jaguar, pre-war, post-war, fire engine, campers from the 30s to the 50s, boats too. The 1900 Locomobile and the 1941 Chrysler Newport LeBaron were awesome.

The Charger was in the 60's American category with about 40 total. The 2 GTOs there were stunning. The 6 banger Camaro had the SS badge and was unexceptional compared to great cars on every side. And it wasn't anything unique as being an original or restored or modified. It just had the SS and it was 67, not 68 or 69. It paled compared to the 66 Nova 327 next to it.

And, it had a cover over the dash so who knows what condition that was in. The rest of the interior was good. The paint was excellent but didn't look like any color GM ever had (sort of a mint green grey). So I just don't know what the judges saw.

I guess that until I judge I just don't understand the myopic view that an SS (and no 396) is something special.  :shruggy:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

472 R/T SE

As for an SS getting a /6, IIRC the standard motor for the 1963 Nova SS was a /6.  

Although, it was possible in 1962 and 1963 to have a dealer installed Corvette V8 motor in a Chevy II if wanted.

With Mopar I think the 340 is the smallest displacement for motors available for the R/T, and that would be E body only.  I think it's pretty safe to say 383's were never considered an R/T model in the B body form.

greenpigs

Went with a guy to look at a 69 RT. It also was a G code and we walked after I looked at VIN.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RTDaddy

Never say never guys.  I knew a guy who had a 69 R/T with a 383 frfom the factory he special ordered.  Had column auto and a buddy seat.  He had a wife and 3 kids, and was an engineer.  He figured the shorter stroke 383 would do better "in the mountains" mileage wise. (he was an efficiency nut).  So he orderd the car that way.  I guess if you pay enough money, they would build it.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Ghoste

Sorry but I've heard that same story too many times and so far not one has ever panned out to be true.  I'd have to see documentation before I could be convinced.  Some of the "nevers" are within the realm of possibility and some really are "nevers" and I'd have to call "never" on 383 equipped RT Chargers until someone can come forth with something more than say so evidence.

mally69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2009, 09:58:32 AM
Sorry but I've heard that same story too many times and so far not one has ever panned out to be true.  I'd have to see documentation before I could be convinced.  Some of the "nevers" are within the realm of possibility and some really are "nevers" and I'd have to call "never" on 383 equipped RT Chargers until someone can come forth with something more than say so evidence.

:iagree:

TylerCharger69

I agree too.....a lot of un-knowledgeable people don't realize that there is a difference in VIN between the base models and the R/Ts  (not to mention other obvious differences)  and also....they don't realize the value differences between the two.....but yeah.....XP would be the base model Charger

hemigeno

Quote from: mally69 on September 27, 2009, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2009, 09:58:32 AM

:iagree:

:iagree: :iagree:

It was possible to special-order nearly all (if not all) of the suspension upgrades normally found on an R/T for a 383 car, but I doubt if Chrysler would reclassify the car as an R/T based on that alone.  Call me a skeptic if you will, but I'm staying off the 383 R/T bandwagon unless and until some hard evidence shows up.

:Twocents:

69charger2002

i am on the 383 non R/T bandwagon as well. Never seen it, only heard of it 2-3 times. I say it didn't happen
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 26, 2009, 11:43:40 PM
With Mopar I think the 340 is the smallest displacement for motors available for the R/T, and that would be E body only.  I think it's pretty safe to say 383's were never considered an R/T model in the B body form.

Yes - 340 R/T...... '71 Challenger. No 340 R/T's in '70. You could get a 340 in a 70 'Cuda - but that don't count count in an R/T discussion.  :icon_smile_big: