News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chargers going abroad

Started by ChargerST, September 26, 2009, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

Just read the thread about that 70 Charger from Finland. Was wondering what u guys think about Chargers being sold and exported to other countries. Do you see them as "ambassadors" of the American way of life and like it to see them run on the streets of of Europe, Australia eg.? Or should they stay where they were sold in the first place (US and Canada)?

No judging here jst wondering.

1969chargerrtse

Were one big global world so I have no issue with it. I think the hobby is slowing down so a few over seas probably won't hurt ones chance to locate one here.  
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

The last time this topic came up, a huge fight occurred and I ended up getting rude PM's from the member who started the fight. My opinion on the topic is, I have no problems with our Mopars going to other countries. They have the right to deserve these kick-ass cars as much as we do.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ChargerST

When I was looking for my Charger I found several for sale ads where the sellers refused to sell to foreigners. The seller of my R/T was totally different - he held the car for me without a deposit for almost a week so that I could book a flight (I'm from Europe) - He just wanted to know if it really is the car that I want :)

Charger440RDN

As long as they take care of them and preserve them, I don't have a problem. On the flip side look at how many american's buy and collect foreign sports cars such as classic ferrari's etc, do Italians get mad when they see those cars on american roads?  :shruggy:

elanmars

I think it's great!!! plus a lot of people forget that in some countries, they had Chargers too!! Venezuela is one example and we have quite a few members from my home country, specially Nacho who is quite valuable with information.

Plus I rather a Charger to another country where someone is going to keep it running/restore it/treat it like it should be, unlike the countless jerks here in this country who leave a lot of them to rot. I do have issue with that, like the idiot around here who thinks his 318 72 Cuda, unsaveable at this point, really, which is rotting and with trees growing in it is worth 20K. Has had plenty of people before and after try to buy it and he won't budge.

Mopar killer!!!  :RantExplode:
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Aussiemadonmopars

Well if AMD made whole new body shells we wouldn't have to steal them away.   :nana:
Just consider them on loan until someone buys them back , kinda like the Aussie Daytona (which was butchered into a right hand drive car). My 69 Charger is LHD and will always stay that way for just such purposes.  :cheers:

Charger440RDN

I think it's great that people in foreign countries covet american muscle. Remember back in the 50's & 60's a lot of the British, Germans and Italian's turned their noses up at american muscle cars, as being crude and unrefined junk or inferior compared to their own sports cars. Now lot's of people over there love this old crude and unrefined american junk. American muscle is unique THEY SEE THE LIGHT :lol:

Brock Samson

:rant: I think it's terrible that people with no history or appreciation for american muscle can just come over here and buy up our american muscle cars!  :RantExplode: They have a lot of nerve!  :nana:
where is that thread anyhow?.  :popcrn:

ok I found it...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59798.20.html

sublime69 ain't been back since...  :shruggy:

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey!!! get your hands of our Mad Max Coupes!!!!     :nana: 
Oh hang on a minute... Ford .... It's American..... Ok just 1 or 2 then.....

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: and you damn Austrians! stealing our 71 Mustang!!  :RantExplode:

Aussiemadonmopars

Carefull.... The governator is Austrian.....  :smilielol:

Blown70

Well, some of them have been or are just as passionate about the hobbie as we are (in the US).  I say any care repaired fixed and driven is good....  :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

as long as someone can take care of one and afford one I don't see a problem with it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

Every one that leaves means mine/ours are worth more $$$$$ Every one Duked and jumped same thing, it isn't "good" or "bad" and can't be stopped.  :Twocents:

RD

let them go... any charger saved is a credit to the owner and their love of the car.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

G-man

I dont see any problem in having 1 in australia  :D

I do however think if the people that own more than 1 stopped being greedy there would be more to go around American roads as you cant drive 2 at the same time and 1 is enough.

suntech

I am one of the overseas guys that stole a Charger off sublime 69  :D

i specially loved this quote from him:

I guess it's only cool for people in Europe to act like they're Americans. You'll never have the history, heritage, or knowledge about how it was when these cars were abundant. Keep laughing with your english accent, funny when that car ends up in the bottom of the atlantic on it's way to get shipped elsewhere. Containers slide ya know.... Go back to chatting on the internet about your cars. I've got work to do.

Assuming he is not a native american, he probably has european or african forfathers  :shruggy:

Anyways, i am not a filthy rich collector...........i have putted 5000 miles on my 68 this summer (and probably 6000 miles on the rear wheels)  :D , and LOVED every single mile!!

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: G-man on September 26, 2009, 06:12:22 PM
I dont see any problem in having 1 in australia  :D

I do however think if the people that own more than 1 stopped being greedy there would be more to go around American roads as you cant drive 2 at the same time and 1 is enough.

Does that mean all of us have to share the 1 car or can we have one each. There's only 23 million of us.

Our second car is an A body convertible.   :nana:  It was going to waste sitting in New York state, it's like raining all the time there.  :shruggy:  But A bodies don't count right? Nobody likes A bodies....  :lol:

Regards,
Aussiemopars.
Member of "For A Bodies Only" forum.

b5blue

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 26, 2009, 12:04:48 PM
  :rant: I think it's terrible that people with no history or appreciation for american muscle can just come over here and buy up our american muscle cars!  :RantExplode: They have a lot of nerve!  :nana:
where is that thread anyhow?.  :popcrn:

ok I found it...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59798.20.html

sublime69 ain't been back since...  :shruggy:

I think he got banned

"« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 03:16:33 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it.  Put what ever label on it you want, but as long as I am a mod here I will not stand for someone bashing another member.

I removed your last nasty comment and I'll do it again. This is a place for like interests. NOT a place to come and bash everyone that doesn't fit your criteria. You have an opinion and you posted it. Great. Now you know there is not one other member in this family that shares your opinion. There is no room here for the BS you just posted, so as far as I am concerned you have been handed your hat. If you have a problem with that you can PM me.

Have a nice day."

bull

Wow! How did I miss that thread? I've always wondered what happened to that guy. I guess now I know.

As far selling/shipping Chargers overseas; as far as I know no one in a foreign country has ever painted one orange and jumped it to its death while a bunch of idiot rednecks cheered it on. So yea, send them all overseas if they know how to treat them right.

Ghoste

bull

But wait, there's more: It's not as if these cars are gone forever and scrapped immediately upon arrival overseas. Sometimes they are sold by foreigners and returned to the states. We all live on the same planet here; they're not shipping them to Mars. Also, I feel some pride knowing that people from other countries are getting excited about something we created here in the USA. I don't know that we can do that kind of thing much anymore.

G-man

Quote from: bull on September 26, 2009, 11:35:44 PM
We all live on the same planet here; they're not shipping them to Mars.

:scratchchin:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: G-man on September 26, 2009, 11:42:13 PM

Theres a lot of space to drive on mars  :scratchchin:

Aussiemadonmopars

Also, I feel some pride knowing that people from other countries are getting excited about something we created here in the USA. I don't know that we can do that kind of thing much anymore.

It was a great day in Australian automotive history when the GM Holden brand started exporting Monaro's stateside, albeit re-badged as Pontiac GTO's.   :yesnod:  Wow, the americans actually like something we made. Go figure??  :shruggy: 

six-tee-nine

Few may know, but I also am one of the foreing oversea guys here (Belgium).

Trust me we pay our muscle cars, or the resto parts for them, top dollar so it's not just something you buy with the idea of "hey lets buy a vitage muscle car and beat the snot out of it..."
And for what i have in the charger right now i can buy a vintage Porsche 911 in a much better condition and find one in less than an hour in every direction from me. but what if I just like the exotic cars better?

I think it's just sad that some times people can't put away their political ideas... When i hang around at car forums i think about cars, gears, tires, engines.....I'm not even thinking about nude women let alone politics. (That about those nude women is only true if I stay real focused on the cars thing)....

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

aussie daytona

well i guess im one of these foreigners who now own a piece of mopar muscle from the home country,but ive had nothing but help and positive comments from the guys on this site...on the other hand ive sold a rare aussie mopar(wayfarer ute) to a nice american guy and a vintage porsche to a guy in astonia...so we are really a big family us car nuts... :shruggy:

LUMI

well we who live in Finland must import our cars because there is only on assembly plant in whole Finland and it makes Porsche Boxsters and Caymans now
it woud not be cool that everyone here would drive Porsches :rofl:
that plant will start making Fisker Karmas in the future and i think they will be shipped overseas as well  :yesnod:
http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/pages/karma
http://www.valmet-automotive.com/automotive/cms.nsf/pages/indexeng

LeadfootBob

Most of the iron that gets shipped over today gets a serious restoration, especially the mopars... It's like the guys over at turbobricks (old school Volvo forum, predominantely US members), you don't buy a 30 year old Volvo in the states and expect to drive it without some work, do you? It takes serious love/determination to scrounge the parts and piece them together... But i repeat myself from the previous thread.
Besides...
If you keep bombing us with your movies/culture/ideals, what kind of reaction did you expect in the end?  Reap what you sow!  :slap: :nana: :smilielol:

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 26, 2009, 11:45:05 PM

Theres a lot of space to drive on mars  :scratchchin:
What a concept: we terraform mars, turn it into a giant race track and ship all the gearheads over there. Environmentalists happy, gearheads happy, everybody win!   :smilielol:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Aussiemadonmopars

What a concept: we terraform mars, turn it into a giant race track and ship all the gearheads over there. Environmentalists happy, gearheads happy, everybody win!   :smilielol:
[/quote]

Haven't you guys heard, that's where Sublime69 went to. He's an expert in terraformisation. You ask me which planet this guy is on, well there's your answer.  :lol:

Mike DC

I basically think that a Charger going overseas is just like if it's going to a particularly faraway state of the USA.  Ebay largely levels the connections factor so it's not like they can't get sold back.

IMHO the average foreign owners tend to restore & treat the cars at least as well as the average american owner if not better.

greenpigs

As stated in other threads we are jurt caretakers of the Chargers. Someone with a true passion for their car is what will keep them around 100 years from now. Part of being American is doing/buying what you want,legaly. If the person will pay let them play.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 27, 2009, 03:33:47 AM
When i hang around at car forums i think about cars, gears, tires, engines.....I'm not even thinking about nude women let alone politics. (That about those nude women is only true if I stay real focused on the cars thing)....

I'm glad you qualified that last statement because that pops into my mind quite frequently, even at car shows (sorry ladies).

Old Moparz

But wait, there's more: It's not as if these cars are gone forever and scrapped immediately upon arrival overseas. Sometimes they are sold by foreigners and returned to the states. We all live on the same planet here; they're not shipping them to Mars. Also, I feel some pride knowing that people from other countries are getting excited about something we created here in the USA. I don't know that we can do that kind of thing much anymore.

What about Brock?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

tan top

Quote from: bull on September 26, 2009, 11:21:18 PM
Wow! How did I miss that thread? I've always wondered what happened to that guy. I guess now I know.

As far selling/shipping Chargers overseas; as far as I know no one in a foreign country has ever painted one orange and jumped it to its death while a bunch of idiot rednecks cheered it on. So yea, send them all overseas if they know how to treat them right.

yeah just what i was thinking Bull  :yesnod:  i missed all this ,  whats going on ,  no need for all this crap ,  well we  all have a comon intrest , in Chargers &  mopar who makes the baddest of the bad  muscle cars  :yesnod:  can't well all just get along .    :grouphug: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69bronzeT5

Just a note, I seem to notice most of the Mopars being sold nowadays are going overseas. I was looking at a T5 '69 Superbee project at a Mopar show here back in July that was for sale and I found out it was sold and headed off to Vientiane, Laos.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ChargerST

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 27, 2009, 11:25:20 AM
Just a note, I seem to notice most of the Mopars being sold nowadays are going overseas. I was looking at a T5 '69 Superbee project at a Mopar show here back in July that was for sale and I found out it was sold and headed off to Vientiane, Laos.

Vientiane? haha nice, I just came back from there. The Superbee will definately stand out in the Toyota crowd there  :coolgleamA:

Jon Smith

Quote from: G-man on September 26, 2009, 11:42:13 PM

we need a "chargers going to mars" thread to sort this issue out...

I was reading the guy on the other threads comments about us having no history of those cars...

my 72 rallye has been in the UK almost from new...it has no history in the US

bull

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 27, 2009, 11:25:20 AM

It's quite possible. It's a simple formula to figure out why. The US economy goes in the tank and Joe Blow the muscle car owner looses his job and is overleveraged financially and suddenly discovers he has to choose between paying the mortgage and keeping his '69 Camaro. So he asks his buddy Bob Smith if he wants to buy it but Bob is out of work too and is trying to sell his peanut butter jar collection so he can keep his Escalade. So Joe puts an ad on craigslist and discovers that all the white guys within 200 miles of him are willing to buy it but only for half what he thinks it's worth. So he sticks it on Ebay hoping Jay Leno will buy it but some brown dude from another country where the economy is not bad buys it and the next thing he knows the '69 Camaro that's spent its entire existence within 30 miles of Anytown, USA is on a ship bound for some country he can't pronounce or even find on a map.

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

they are pretty out there,.. the drummer is getting alot of praise for his energy... kinda' a Mitch Mitchell on crank..
http://www.killrockstars.com/artists/viewartist.php?aname=Hella

TylerCharger69

Personally....i see nothing wrong about Chargers going to other countries.....If someone is going to take care of it....then who cares where it goes??  Let our domestic cars be someone else's imports for a change!!!

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on September 27, 2009, 10:25:38 PM
Personally....i see nothing wrong about Chargers going to other countries.....If someone is going to take care of it....then who cares where it goes??  Let our domestic cars be someone else's imports for a change!!!

Call them "exotics" so it catches on... "Imports" makes me think of Honda Civics with coffee cans  :smilielol:

bordin34

I sold my old 74 318 SE to a guy in Croatia.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Jon Smith

oh yeah... the Al Eckstrand lawman charger which he raced in the UK when it was new, and then spent years fairly local to me...
the daytona that a well known member of this site(whos name escapes me :lol:) has recently bought...
a plum crazy hemi challenger that was local to me...
loads more...

have all gone back to the US taking our history with them...

why I oughtta...  :RantExplode: :lol:

JMF

I'm from London, England and there's quite a few nice Mopars over here, the good thing is that as they are relatively few and far between over here most of them are well looked after and have been restored or are getting restored, although a lot of the £20k+ cars that come up for sale over here are heading to Sweden and Norway and places like that, they seem to be the ones with the money nowadays

Brock Samson

Ya
know what I find interesting is that the same few countries seem to be getting most of the cars or, are at least well represented by Site members,.. so many cars in the netherlands, sweden, norway and denmark none from germany or france while just a few from england, meanwhile a bunch from austria dispite their expensive and difficult left hand drive requirements...  :shruggy:

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChargerST

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 28, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
Ya
know what I find interesting is that the same few countries seem to be getting most of the cars or, are at least well represented by Site members,.. so many cars in the netherlands, sweden, norway and denmark none from germany or france while just a few from england, meanwhile a bunch from austria dispite their expensive and difficult left hand drive requirements...  :shruggy:

In Austria we drive on the right side of the road..unlike Australia ;) and there is at least one member from Germany (he owns a black 68 Charger - username is RDR838). It seems that B-body cars are more popular in Germany whereas Swiss people seem to prefer E-bodies.

Jon Smith

lots in germany and france....but I guess they're not owned by members here..

suntech

I think some of the reasons for the amount of cars going over here (Europe) , is how the exhange rate has been last few years, in combination with ebay, that has made the world a lot smaller. Last time the USD had a similar dive against europeean currancy was in the late eithtys, but without internet, it did not have the same effect. People were not travelling as they do now, so the chance of stumbeling over your dreamcar by coincidence was slim to none, compared to now.

Another thing is that with the growing populariy of these cars, with a lot of tv shows etc, many people are thinking: Hey that looks like fun, and these guys did it in a week, i chould be able to do this in at least a year!!! Not having a clue of what they are in for, both time and moneywise. These cars will eventually be up for sale, when they are running out of enthusiasm and money. Then, with the way the economy has turned out in the US, with a lot of people loosing their jobs, makes even more of them up for sale, with less potentional US buyers, so european buyers has a better chance of getting hold of their dreamcar.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Marck

This thread is actually pretty interesting to me, since I have wondered about this topic a few times since i bought my charger from Ca. Every once in a while cruising the forums I get the impression that a small group is bothered by the fact that chargers (or any kind of American classics) are leaving the US.

I'm really happy that this thread have proven to me, that I was right about it only being a small group that was bothered about it, and that the majority support the hobby despite geography.

I don't know the exact numbers, but by my best gestimation, I would say, that we have about 20 b-body chargers in Denmark, only a handful of a-bodys, and I have no clue regarding c-bodys, but would guess around 20 also.. Population is 6 million in Denmark..

Chargerfreak

Hello, Chris from The Netherlands here.

I own my '68 Charger almost 8 years now and love it!! The Mopar-scene is pretty big if you ask me over here. Check sites as www.charger.nl and www.mopar.nl to see our cars and builds

Very wild and beautiful cars and engines are being built here. Don't worry about neglected Mopars here, it won't happen they just all are taken well care off.

I'm wanting a 440 in it now and it's gonna cost me about every penny i have :icon_smile_blackeye:

I like and want to go the "car craft 440" way, it's in the proven engine combo section.

If you'd like to see my car go to www.charger.nl then to the button 1968 and then scroll down to "chris van der Slot"

Greets,
Chris.

ozziemoparnut

I look at it this way if someone is willing spend the amount of money a good example of any mopar commands these days and then to go through all the drama of purchasing/importing a 41 yr old car from outside there own country and then jump through whatever hoops the destination country government has eg. bend over we are going to have our way with you tax (aka import tax), registration requirements of a vehicle of that age (which may mean a RHD conversion) blah blah then there has gotta be some love for that given car  :2thumbs: and I cannot see why they would then just go and let go to waste    :Twocents: 

CB

Quote from: Jon Smith on September 28, 2009, 11:48:37 AM
lots in germany and france....but I guess they're not owned by members here..

:iagree:

The German and French have their own Forum and don't post much on the US forum(s).
There is a big Mopar scene in France and Germany :yesnod:

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Brock Samson

I'm gonna guess then it's a french/german MOPAR site and not a specific Charger Site... gotta link?..

ChargerST

41husk

I would sell my cars to some one from another country.  If I have them for sale I must really need the money or I am looking to buy some other Mopar Muscle.  I would not sell it to some one who told me they were cutting it up parting it out are doing some wild transformation, but what they do with or were they take it after they have purchased it from me is up to them.  I can only hope if any of my cars are sold the buyer appreciates and enjoy them as much as me. :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Belgium R/T -68

I remember in the -70's in Sweden when US cars were massimported due to the oilcrisis, I guess that started the growth of the hobby
overhere. Personally I think it's nice to see something made in your homecountry when you are abroad, makes you kind of proud if it's something
to show ofcourse. :lol: Although I have to admit that when I was young I hated when all the best hockeyplayers went over to play in the NHL
and couldn't play in the national team anymoore. :icon_smile_angry:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker