News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should we cover our cars inside garage??????

Started by RTPTRON, November 26, 2005, 04:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTPTRON

My 68 Charger will be home soon with a new paint job.  My garage is insulated but not heated or cooled.  Based on my PT Cruiser's outside temperature gauge the temp is about 5 to 8 degrees warmer inside the garage than it is outside in the Winter.

Should I use a car cover inside the garage or not, and why?

kab69440

A nice soft cotton cover should keep the dust off, when the car is enclosed. I don't see why it would hurt. Ordinarily, my car is covered in Taco Bell wrappers and cups.  A few miscellaneous tools, parts and such... ;D
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

694spdRT

It will definately not hurt anything and it will keep dust and contaminants from contacting the paint. Might also help the occasional passer by from brushing against the paint while it is in the garage.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BrianShaughnessy

There are lightweight inside car covers available.... bbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt....      how new is the paint?   I   wouldn't normally put covers over fesh paint jobs...    I'd give them several months to avoid any problems.

Yeah I normally use a car cover in the garage.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I do as well.....the one I got is a bit thicker than a lightweight cotton cover though.........that cover has saved many a ding/dent from happening in my tiny garage :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Todd Wilson

I just bought one from California Car Cover for mty71. Its a very nice cover and they will talk with you and your needs and recomend the best cover. I would cover it in the garage after your paint has cured some. Its amazing what dust and stuff can get on a car in a garage. I also have a car duster I use to get the dust off of it also after it sits. Amazing at what can get on a car just sitting at a car show. The way I see it the less dirt/dust on the paint the less chance for scratchs when you do wipe it down. Covers are great!

I will also protect it from an acident. Never know when you are going to bump into it with the trash can or the kids bike or the handle on the lawn mower. You just never know. I would get a good cover and use it! If you get the right cover it can be used on a limited basis out doors so you can cover your Charger at the motel if you stay over night somewhere for a show.

Todd

charger490

my cars are all covered and the sun visors are pulled down so mice cant get up there and chew holes in the roof.all so i use bounce fabric sheets in my cars to keep the mice away charger490

Blown70

Well I am out on a limb of my own.  No,  I do not.  I would rather pressure wash off the dust that have moisture accumulate(sp) under the car.  Some car covers do not breath enough and will cause issues.

I run a dehumidifier and heat my garage with radiant heater for now.... Which I will change to a larger unit  one of these days keeps the floor warm on those -30 degree days.

I would never put a cover on if I did not have some sort of air circulation.

ALSO, 490 is correct with the dryer sheets.

Tom

RTPTRON

Quote from: charger490 on November 26, 2005, 06:18:35 PM
my cars are all covered and the sun visors are pulled down so mice cant get up there and chew holes in the roof.all so i use bounce fabric sheets in my cars to keep the mice away charger490

Thanks for all the responses.  It looks like there are more reasons to cover than to not.  My paint was shot back in August but it has taken this long to get it all back together and ready for the road.  I have a very light cover that I purchased a few years ago from Costco.  It breaths great but don't have padding to protect from scuffs and scratches.  What do you guys think about the Polycotton covers from YearOne??

Now, for the important stuff.  Charger490, tell me more about the Bounce Fabric Sheets.  About two years ago I had a mouse build it's nest in my heater.  After all this time when I use the heater fan I hear crap rattling around in the heater.

Blown70

The sheet have a smell, good one.  So they usually stay away from that.... Better than moth balls.

Good Idea use several,  I put them in the trunk, floor, seats, etc,  To help

Tom

ChargerAndy

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 26, 2005, 04:59:00 PM
  There are lightweight inside car covers available.... bbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt....      how new is the paint?   I   wouldn't normally put covers over fesh paint jobs...    I'd give them several months to avoid any problems.

Yeah I normally use a car cover in the garage.

:iagree:

Silver R/T

ya id use one if i had garage and paint wasnt week old paintjob
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mr_fixit

I've seen several car covers that say don't use them on repainted vehicles..... at all.
I'd check the cover box for warnings.

Purple Haze

I have covers for my cars....but I love looking at them, so I don't cover them.

Bob E
Plum Crazy, 440 Six Pack, 4 speed hemi, 4.10 Dana Super Grip
My Lucky Story
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=268&highlight=#268

8WHEELER

OK RON, You know my place  ;D  Thick Cover Craft for me, some say that after awhile the cover
will wear through your paint, I have used them for over 17yrs no problems. Stay safe in the garage guy  :2thumbs:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

472 R/T SE

What's your paint guy say?  I would hope there's some kind of warranty on it and they would suggest something to protect them. ???

I'm anxious to see it.  My good buddy said you two hung out down there in Oregon at some Buick show.  A couple closet Mopar fans. :icon_smile_big:

I need to cover mine.  The RT door decals will eventually break after they've been bent several times from rubbing up against them.  DAMHIK.  I'm not the prettiest if I try to walk. :icon_smile_big:

RTPTRON

Quote from: AllBlueRT on November 27, 2005, 01:52:14 AM
What's your paint guy say?   I would hope there's some kind of warranty on it and they would suggest something to protect them. ???

I'm anxious to see it.   My good buddy said you two hung out down there in Oregon at some Buick show.   A couple closet Mopar fans. :icon_smile_big:

I need to cover mine.   The RT door decals will eventually break after they've been bent several times from rubbing up against them.   DAMHIK.   I'm not the prettiest if I try to walk. :icon_smile_big:

Hey AllblueRT, My paint guy don't like covers because he thinks they hold in moisture. 

I ask your buddy SlowT to join me with his Buick and we would crash the Kent Charger meet back in August.  I ended up driving my PT Cruiser out of respect for the group and Slow T didn't show up.  Dan tried to get me to go home and get the GN so I could have fun too.

Charger Aficionado

Dude...  If there are any STUPID cats around...  You NEED too...  Does anyone use a dehumidifier???

Ghoste

"Any STUPID cats"?????
They have a brain the size of a walnut.  They are ALL stupid!  And they will go on your Charger at every opportunity.

71charger_fan

The cover has saved mine from far more damage than it could have ever possibly caused.

Charger_Fan

8Wheeler, I think we need more pics of that garage! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

472 R/T SE

Old Moparz

I use a couple of inexpensive, breathable ones just to keep dirt off the paint on my Scamp & Road Runner. On my Satellite, it's just an older cover someone gave me that looks almost like Tyvek. That's only for the convertible top & to keep crap out of the channels where the top meets the car. The projects aren't far enough along to worry about covering them, & I want the Barracuda to stay in the open air since it had a mold problem when I got it. I leave the windows open under the covers too so the inside can air out.

I never owned anything extremely nice, so I'm not sure if what I'm doing will have any long term problems or not.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Blown70 on November 26, 2005, 06:24:09 PM
Well I am out on a limb of my own.   No,   I do not.   I would rather pressure wash off the dust that have moisture accumulate(sp) under the car.   Some car covers do not breath enough and will cause issues.

I run a dehumidifier and heat my garage with radiant heater for now.... Which I will change to a larger unit   one of these days keeps the floor warm on those -30 degree days.

Tom

You got serious problems if your car is getting moisture inside a garage let alone a dehumidfied and heated garage?!

Todd

Blown70

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 27, 2005, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on November 26, 2005, 06:24:09 PM
Well I am out on a limb of my own.   No,   I do not.   I would rather pressure wash off the dust that have moisture accumulate(sp) under the car.   Some car covers do not breath enough and will cause issues.

I run a dehumidifier and heat my garage with radiant heater for now.... Which I will change to a larger unit   one of these days keeps the floor warm on those -30 degree days.

Tom

You got serious problems if your car is getting moisture inside a garage let alone a dehumidfied and heated garage?!

Todd

Todd,

It is called being fussy and I have a bare metal chassis 70 Charger sitting there..... ;)   I have in fact had a CAR COVER HOLD MOISTURE..... UNLESS AIR IS MOVING, ie FAN I will not use ONE.