News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May not be rear main seal after all?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, September 23, 2009, 08:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

So I'm thinking?  Why does my car leave a puddle after it sits?  It drips a little while it's running, but next morning I have a puddle.  I tightened the valve cover gaskets a little snugger and I swear It's slowed down a lot.  Anyone ever have this happen?  Does it make sense?  Sure would be a great thing to be the valve cover gaskets over the rear main seal.  I'll know when I replace them.  Any comments on a 1 time valve cover gasket seal? Make? Gasket sealer?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68 CHARGER R/T

mines be replaced a few months back but i only notice a few drops after a cruise but if he sits for say a week or longer nothing at all . cant figuire it out   :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on September 23, 2009, 08:59:33 PM
mines be replaced a few months back but i only notice a few drops after a cruise but if he sits for say a week or longer nothing at all . cant figure it out   :scratchchin:
Your case make sense as the rear mail seal is not having a crank spinning when its sitting so it shouldn't leak.  Mine leaks after shut down because I feel oil is draining from the valve cover area.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Daytona R/T SE

Check your oil pressure sending unit.

It's cheap and easy to replace.

I've had several of these go out over the years, they can really gush oil.

Since they are on the top of the block, behind the intake, the oil runs all over the place and can drive you nuts trying to find the leak.

I've parked a car in the garage, didn't see any leaks...

Next morning...

PUDDLE  :brickwall:

RD

OEM valve covers can become prone to leak after many years of torquing down the valve cover bolts, subsequently the hold down / bolt hole areas become bevelled.  The valve cover no longer becomes square to the gasket as the most downforce being placed on the gasket is at the bolt holdown areas (that have become focal points).  If you get a chance, flush those bevelled holddown points to make them square again with the rest of the valve cover.  The valve cover will being to displace force against the gasket squarely and evenly throughout the valve cover, instead of just in the 6 bolt/hold down areas.

not saying this is the case, but may be something to look at.  good luck.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1969chargerrtse

I've checked the oil sending unit and made sure I just snugged down the valve covers screws as I am aware about to much bolt pressure warping the cover lip.  Lets go with a good chance it's the cover gasket, any comments on best type gasket?  Rubber, cork, gasket sealer?

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 23, 2009, 08:49:34 PM
So I'm thinking?  Why does my car leave a puddle after it sits?  It drips a little while it's running, but next morning I have a puddle.  I tightened the valve cover gaskets a little snugger and I swear It's slowed down a lot.  Anyone ever have this happen?  Does it make sense?  Sure would be a great thing to be the valve cover gaskets over the rear main seal.  I'll know when I replace them.  Any comments on a 1 time valve cover gasket seal? Make? Gasket sealer?

I just installed my engine a week ago and after having her running for a while i saw oil between the trans and engine and thought it was the rear main. But after close inspection it was oil leaking out of the valve cover and running down the side of the block and dripping at the trans inspection cover. Tighten the valve cover and problem solved.

TylerCharger69

I had trouble finding a leak at the front once...I thought it to be a front main seal.....Well...nope.  Wasn't a valve cover...there was no oil leaking from the top.  So...I determined that it was coming from the fuel pump.  Replaced the gasket....still didnt solve the issue.  After replacing seals and gaskets, including the distributor rubber and gasket.  Still leaking.  Oil pan gasket....replaced it....still leaking.  I got pretty pissed off after that one.  Anyway...long story short...I found out that the fuel pump itself was leaking oil where the two halves, top and bottom...where they are crimped together was the culprit.  I guess it was a bad fuel pump  and the crimp on that surrounding piece was not a very good one.   Sometimes it's the simple things that can kick your ass.

1969chargerrtse

:popcrn:

No one has input on which type of valve cover gasket last longest without leaking? This can't be that hard to answer?  :shruggy:

Back N Black

I use and like the old cork style gasket.  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on September 25, 2009, 05:39:42 AM
I use and like the old cork style gasket.  :Twocents:
All cork, cork and rubber?  No slicone or gasket sealer?

1969chargerrtse

I just ordered a set of high temp cork and rubber with a  tube of strong grey sealer for tomorrow am. I hope that's it. That would be awesome. Update soon.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2009, 05:32:19 AM

No one has input on which type of valve cover gasket last longest without leaking? This can't be that hard to answer?  :shruggy:

It is that hard to answer because the sealing surface on a stock 440 cast iron head sucks.....no matter what gasket you use, sealer you use or dont use, they will leak....especially with stock 40+ year old stamped steel covers.

:Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on September 25, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2009, 05:32:19 AM

It is that hard to answer because the sealing surface on a stock 440 cast iron head sucks.....no matter what gasket you use, sealer you use or dont use, they will leak....especially with stock 40+ year old stamped steel covers.

:Twocents:
:2thumbs:  Thank you my friend.  That I did not know?

NMike

if you have headers, the cork will burn out and they will leak again. use the silicone with headers.

1969chargerrtse

Stupid thing still leaks.  I put in a new gasket with sealer.  :-\  Oh well, rear main it is. :P

b5blue

I have a set of silicone valve cover gaskets that are the cat's meow but I'm saving them for next years planed head work and re assembly so can't tell you how good they are yet! (got them on eBay)  :2thumbs:

Scaregrabber

Also check the intake valley pan. They can leak out the corners and down the block.

Sheldon

62 Max

Quote from: Scaregrabber on October 04, 2009, 01:26:53 AM
Also check the intake valley pan. They can leak out the corners and down the block.

Sheldon

So can the plug behind the camshaft! :scratchchin: