News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

converting from column shift to floor shift this winter, need advice

Started by joflaig, September 23, 2009, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

First, no it's staying an automatic, and second, no I'm not putting in a manual valve body. :) Anyway, as part of the 6 months of annual winter work, I'm looking at converting from a column shift to a floor shift. I've searched the site, but have not found anything specific I needed.

Number one question is if anyone has done this, what brand/model floor shifter did they use (any pics)? Since I'm strapped into racing seats with a 5 point harness and I do not want to remove the buddy seat is there a shifter out there that would actually be within physical reach (I'm 5' 9")?

The other thing is, what kind of labor time does this conversion take for someone experienced in a resto shop? The linkages need to be redone, a hole needs cutting in the tunnel and some welding, obviously.

Does the column shift arm just unscrew or is there a common method to hide that it ever existed in the first place?

Thanks!

I'll post more about the other upgrades at a later date. I have a gear vendors OD unit sitting at home, replacement H-PIPE from TTI for my x-pipe,  XV inner fender and lower radiator supports, plus dual electric exhaust cutouts from Maryland Speed. I'm ordering a dana 60 from Dr. Diff with 4.10s sometime in the next few weeks. Not going to swap out the heads, intake and cam until all this stuff is done first -- don't know if I'll have the cash to do that too this winter!

Corellian Corvette

I believe this should be pretty easy. I've never done it, but the floor shift parts are available from B/E&A parts, including the shifter, brackets for the console, console, lids, mounting brackets, B/U light, etc.

The wiring may be slghtly different as the neutral safety switch is mounted to the shifter. This may require some re-wiring work.

You'll need a new steering column, obviously. I don't know, but I assume the turn signal switch is the same.

It's going to be spendy unless you have donor parts, but shouldn't be too hard!

joflaig

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on September 23, 2009, 07:38:29 PM
I believe this should be pretty easy. I've never done it, but the floor shift parts are available from B/E&A parts, including the shifter, brackets for the console, console, lids, mounting brackets, B/U light, etc.

The wiring may be slghtly different as the neutral safety switch is mounted to the shifter. This may require some re-wiring work.

You'll need a new steering column, obviously. I don't know, but I assume the turn signal switch is the same.

It's going to be spendy unless you have donor parts, but shouldn't be too hard!

I don't mean to convert to a stock console floor shifter, I was thinking along the lines of a B&M Megashifter.

my73charger

I installed a B&M Starshifter in my 73 Charger.  The only hole you will need to cut is a hole for the cable.  Real easy to do.  Just make sure you do not let the cable get close to the exhaust as it will melt fast.  You could do the entire conversion in a 2-3 hours.  I removed all stock linkage but you need only disconnect it to make it work.  The shifter should come with everything you need to hook up including the transmission linkage.  I am not sure how one of these will work with a buddy seat however.

joflaig

Quote from: my73charger on September 25, 2009, 12:35:19 PM
I installed a B&M Starshifter in my 73 Charger.  The only hole you will need to cut is a hole for the cable.  Real easy to do.  Just make sure you do not let the cable get close to the exhaust as it will melt fast.  You could do the entire conversion in a 2-3 hours.  I removed all stock linkage but you need only disconnect it to make it work.  The shifter should come with everything you need to hook up including the transmission linkage.  I am not sure how one of these will work with a buddy seat however.

That's good info and thanks for the pic. I don't want to lose the buddy seat, it's to comfortable as an arm rest when just driving!

flyinlow

I installed a Hurst quarter stick 2 in my 73  . 3-4 hours. One hole for cable. I have a 518 trans. Slight grinding on the pan lip.

Works well . Would use a different one for a steet car. My son wanted this model. Pain to shift into reverse or park. Does protect the trans well.