News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LEAK AT OIL FILTER

Started by kedso, September 23, 2009, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kedso

My friend picked up this beat 70 with a 318 and asked me to help him get it running.  So I put back the missing parts and cranked her up the engine started and ran OK except for oil leaking around the oil filter.  I changed the oil filter checked the sealing surface but it still leaks bad.  The car has headers and I think someone beat on the filter to make room to get them in.  Is the little threaded neck that the oil filter threads onto a replaceable item?  I"m thinking that's what is bent.  :'(

70 500

on any modern vehicle no, its part of the block so i would assume no, its been awhile since ive changed oil in an older car tho but i still go with no
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

John_Kunkel

Yes, the threaded fitting is replaceable, look inside it for a 3/8" square drive.

The plate that the filter mounts to is stamped steel and it can also be bent; the plate is a source of many leaks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

kedso

Thanks  I will salvage the parts off a spare engine and swap them in. :cheers:

kedso

TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT that stud must have been torqued to 150 ft-lb !  There is a round gasket behind the plate that had a crack in it and that was the leak.  Other members should watch out for this it's a cheep little gasket that can cause a lot of trouble.