News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger VIN/VON Help

Started by MOsman82, September 18, 2009, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOsman82

Hi,

I am fairly new to the forum and have just managed (finally) to find the right (I think) 68 Charger to restore.

The car came without a title (previous owner had lost the title) and the CA DMV have told me that I need to get the VIN number verified (car had not been registered for over 10 years and thus VIN had been deleted from the system) by a DMV official before they can issue me a title.

Now I know from reading posts on this forum that, for 68 Chargers, the sequential production number portion of the VIN (last 6 digits) will not match the last 6 digits on the fender tag or body stampings. I understand that one is the sequential production number (VIN) and the other is the Vehicle Order Number (Fender Tag and Body Stampings).

My first question is: Have I correctly understood that this is the case?

My second question is: are there any publications or books that describe this inconsistency in the stamping system on 68s? My concern here is that whoever I get at the DMV to inspect the car will no be aware of this (perfect legitimate) identification inconsistency and, in turn, deem that the car has at some time had a body swap and thus will not validate the VIN for me. My thoughts are that they will be more likely to accept my explanation if I have a book/publication to show them.

I am grateful for any input/help you can give me.

Thanks

68X426

One: yes (for 68).

Two: check out "year one" tech as a reference http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/tech/VehicleInfoDecoding/MoparDecoding/MoparFenderTagDecoding/tabid/330/Default.aspx

Bypass the DMV!  :yesnod:

I made an appointment at my county sheriffs department. The DMV will accept any law enforcement officer's investigation (CHP, sheriff, police). Find one, they are your friend. The DMV is not.

Took the on-duty deputy sheriff all of 2 minutes to verify and fill out the form. Verifying is nothing more than seeing that the number on the VIN tag is the same as the DMV form. No one at the DMV ever suggested a look at stampings or fender tags after the sheriff signed off.

Hey, do you still have the black plates?

Best wishes on the restore.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dans 68

On some '68 Chargers the partial vin is stamped on the motor block and transmission case (see http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.msg421815.html#msg421815). If there is a problem (which I think is doubtful) that can be used for authentication. Look for yours. And I agree to go to a Sheriff or other law enforcement (instead of the DMV) to get the vin verified.

Post pictures if and when you get them!  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

MOsman82

Thanks 68X426.

I think I'm going to get the local PD/Sheriff's department to do the validation.

I did get a couple of black plates with the vehicle. Why do you ask?

MOsman82

Dan,

Car is missing original motor and transmission  :shruggy:

I'll get some pictures up here shortly

Dans 68

Quote from: MOsman82 on September 22, 2009, 03:28:18 PM
...I did get a couple of black plates with the vehicle. Why do you ask?

"I" would have asked to see if you were going to use them (since you are in California then absolutely yes you should). And if not then perhaps you would let a fellow Charger owner use them on their (my  :D ) car.   :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

375instroke

The CA DMV only looked at the dash when I registered my '68 Charger R/T.  They told me to surrender the black plates.  I knew they would, so I just took them off first.  Still have them.  Can you register them on cars now in CA?  You can in WA.

Dans 68

Absolutely. What do you want for them???  :scratchchin:  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

68X426

Quote from: MOsman82 on September 22, 2009, 03:28:18 PM
Thanks 68X426.

I think I'm going to get the local PD/Sheriff's department to do the validation.

I did get a couple of black plates with the vehicle. Why do you ask?

I ask because I think the black plate really completes the car (in my opinion). Many owners could care less, but for me the pure aesthetics cannot be topped.

99.99% of black plates are gone, never to return. Let's preserve the history. Besides, when has government done anything with a sense of style? By accident the California DMV created something with style. Who woulda' thunk it?

Also, to be provocative and totally sexist, it's the difference between a beautiful women in a thong compared to her in panties. Given the opportunity, I want my Charger wearing the black plate over the white everyday plate every single chance.  :D

:cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TylerCharger69

Quote from: 68X426 on September 18, 2009, 12:57:46 AM
One: yes (for 68).

Two: check out "year one" tech as a reference http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/tech/VehicleInfoDecoding/MoparDecoding/MoparFenderTagDecoding/tabid/330/Default.aspx

Bypass the DMV!  :yesnod:

I made an appointment at my county sheriffs department. The DMV will accept any law enforcement officer's investigation (CHP, sheriff, police). Find one, they are your friend. The DMV is not.

Took the on-duty deputy sheriff all of 2 minutes to verify and fill out the form. Verifying is nothing more than seeing that the number on the VIN tag is the same as the DMV form. No one at the DMV ever suggested a look at stampings or fender tags after the sheriff signed off.

Hey, do you still have the black plates?

Best wishes on the restore.  :cheers:

I still have one of the original california black plates from my car....the black and yellow one....dont know why i have it