News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Source for new strut rods?

Started by bull, September 20, 2009, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Mine on the drivers side looks like it was rubbing on something for a while and wore a couple divits in the metal. I think I can safely say the integrity has been compromised. Anyhoo, does anyone sell strut rods? I know you can get bushings everywhere but what about the rods themselves? I believe Firm Feel sells adjustable rods in trade for your first born or left arm but I really don't see the need for something like that. I just want the regular OE type. Used? Ebay?

CB

Quote from: bull on September 20, 2009, 10:50:44 PM
Mine on the drivers side looks like it was rubbing on something for a while and wore a couple divits in the metal. I think I can safely say the integrity has been compromised. Anyhoo, does anyone sell strut rods? I know you can get bushings everywhere but what about the rods themselves? I believe Firm Feel sells adjustable rods in trade for your first born or left arm but I really done't see the need for something like that. I just want the regular OE type. Used? Ebay?

Bull, spend 150 bucks on the steel adjustable strut rods from XV Motorsports. They give a 10% discount till October 16th.
I don't think you can get better ones for the $   :Twocents:

The sale starts today, Wednesday September 16th with the last day to take advantage of this offer ending on Friday, October 16th, 2009.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

just noticed you're looking for the OE type, maybe you like the Mancini racing ones:

Damn, it says 'sold out'  :slap:

Where is the delete button ???
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

Bull, eBay # 380144228998 39.00 buy it now or OBO? It's where I got the one I needed, good guys!  :2thumbs:

bull

Thanks guys. :2thumbs: I'll probably go with OE ones but does anyone make them new?

So why would someone need adjustable strut rods? To mess with caster angle maybe?

CB

QuoteTo mess with caster angle maybe?
That's what they say...

I heard or read somewhere that the mechanic who does the alignment gonna be very happy and thankfull when you got adjustable strut rods.  :scratchchin:

CB

HA!  :icon_smile_big: just found it where I saw the info:(Moparts.com):

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5405476

Replacing the fixed-position strut rods with adjustable ones grant the alignment mechanic a method to adjust caster without coming near the eccentrics. An adjustment of caster using the strut rod can be done with virtually no change to camber. An alignment mechanic who truly understands these cars will do back flips of joy when he takes a peek under a car so equipped, especially if the car's owner has come in with some suggested alignment settings he would like to see on his car.

Adjustable strut rods are indeed a good thing.

As an aside (and without appearing to endorse the engineering of a competitive brand), blue oval midsize cars of the same era shared some of the same front-end geometry of Mopars. Sure, they had a coil over the UCA instead of a T-bar, but they still shared two-point LCA's with a strut rod. The lack of a T-bar at the LCA pivot allowed them to place an eccentric at that point (to adjust camber), and an adjustable strut rod for caster.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Hmmm. Well, maybe I'll make my alignment guy happy and get some. I didn't know it was such a PITA on these. Now all I have to do is find, as it says in your quote above, "An alignment mechanic who truly understands these cars."

bull

Quote from: CB on September 21, 2009, 01:30:35 AM
Bull, spend 150 bucks on the steel adjustable strut rods from XV Motorsports. They give a 10% discount till October 16th.
I don't think you can get better ones for the $   :Twocents:

The sale starts today, Wednesday September 16th with the last day to take advantage of this offer ending on Friday, October 16th, 2009.

I can't find those rods on the friggin' XV site to save my life. Do you have a link? Is it $150 a pair or each?

Oh, and Mancini says they're back in stock. :2thumbs: Nevermind, I read it wrong. I was looking at their non adjustable rods. :P

CB

Bull, they are sold as a pair and the are from the stage I kit.

You can contact Scott Landis also by email:  s.landis@xvmotorsports.com

If you buy them now you can save 15 bucks (-10% of $150/p total)

Sending them to Portland will cost you a few bucks so the sale % is nice :2thumbs:
Teamroth will pick mine up and ship them by USPS. He will enjoy looking at the cool stuff they got.

Hope it helps.
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

HPP

Or drop me a pm or email and I'll sell you a brand new set for less than Mancini or XV.  highplains@comcast.net

bull

Quote from: CB on September 21, 2009, 03:57:24 PM
Bull, they are sold as a pair and the are from the stage I kit.

You can contact Scott Landis also by email:  s.landis@xvmotorsports.com

If you buy them now you can save 15 bucks (-10% of $150/p total)

Sending them to Portland will cost you a few bucks so the sale % is nice :2thumbs:
Teamroth will pick mine up and ship them by USPS. He will enjoy looking at the cool stuff they got.

Hope it helps.
CB

I was lusting after that stage 1 kit a while ago and wishing I had Jay Leno's money to buy it. But, as usual, I gotta take it easy with the cash expendatures.