News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I can I hook up an out door antanna to my laptop?

Started by d72hemi, September 20, 2009, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d72hemi

Well guys is has been a while since I was on here (sucking sand in Iraq again), and I could use some help. I need to find a way to hook my laptop to an external (outdoor) antenna.

The laptop is a Toshiba P505D-S8935 with a PCMCIA port. There is only internet access (non government) is through a wireless provider out here ($50/month to barely Skype with the wife, and get on this site is not bad).  The only way to get a signal good enough to complete a Skype call is to sit outside of my CHU (Containerized Housing Unit) in the dark "cold" night, with the bugs, wind, lightning and rain (rainy season has started). A CHU is exactly how it sounds, it is a shipping container (like on a cargo ship or flatbed trailer) with a couple of beds. Being a big metal box it very good at blocking any signals! The minimum that I need is a way to connect a RF cable to the laptop, I believe I can take care of the cable run and high gain directional antenna; after all I am a Ground Radio Technician. However if you have any advice for those topics as well, I will be happily except it.

Ian