News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help - Not getting Spark!

Started by Long Island RT, September 20, 2009, 07:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

Tried to fire my engine up today to break in the cam.  I've been working on this car for years - so this was an exciting day...  NOT

Here's my situ:
I have a the black Mopar MSD unit.
Procomp magnetic pickup distributor 8000 series (i know it's a piece of junk - but it was given to me as a gift - so I figured I try it)
MSD 2 Blaster Coil.

I followed the directions for the MSD unit closely - It's seems rather simple.  The problem started with Pro-crap.  It never came with directions and I didn't know which wires coming out of it were + and -.  Long story short - the way the moron @ pro-crap told me to hook it up was backwards.  I only know that cause my dad has a Procomp on his car and i chased the wires to opposite sides of the coil (he does not have an MSD - but it works on his car - He's the one that bought it for me). 

Needles to say when I tried to see a spark with a timing light by twisting the distributor back and forth with #1 at TDC - No spark.  (yes - the ignition was on - and i checked the juice going the (little) red wire going into the MSD).  I peeked inside the engine to confirm I wasn't 180° out by looking at the cam lobes - but I was very careful @ assembly to make sure everything was lined up.

I then tried the checking for spark procedure that came with the MSD. - and it worked. (although the spark was very small - and that procedure has you jumping both wires going to the distributor together)

That's when I figured out my wires were hooked up backwards going to the distributor!

I then put my dad's distributor into my engine - No spark on the twisting method with the timing light.

I then hooked my coil directly to my dad's pro-comp and ran a jumper to the positive side of the coil (to bypass the MSD) and Wha-La!   I got a spark with the twisting distributor method.

I put my Pro-crap back in and No Spark again :eek2:

Is it possible I ruined either the MSD unit and/or my distributor by hooking up the wires backwards?
Does the twisting distributor method not work with an MSD?
Does anyone know how to test the MSD to make sure it works?

Any help would be appreciated.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered