News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

528 hemi install b Body brake booster question ?

Started by werner, September 20, 2009, 04:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werner

Got the hemi in the chassis. Tight fit. Power brake booster hits valve cover at the corner. Wont allow trans crossmember to bolt up.Car has factory booster. Schemacher mounts. What do i do now? Hemi boosters are big $$$. I have 4 wheel drum brakes currently. No money to up grade brakes now. Are there after markit boosters that will bolt up to my factory master cylinder that are smaller in diameter? Glad I went with 2 1/8 headers instead of 2 1/4 "
by the way it is a mopar/ray barton built engine, aluminum heads
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

G-man

You stuck a 528 Hemi in while not having changed your breaks from 4 wheel drums?  :slap:

Breaks should have been the first thing you do. Prepare the car for the engine thats going in not the other way around.

Just save up money and do it right. After spending huge $$$ on the Hemi, you must be able to save up to get a propper break booster AND a set of propper breaks for that engine.

Rolling_Thunder

I believe somewhere there is a offset bracket for the PB booster that hims it over for Hemi Valve cover clearance...      I don't own a Hemi so I am not 100% sure of this - The only other cars I've put hemis into were manual drum cars and hydroboosted cars   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger RT

Its been a while since working on one of these cars. I do have a running 68 charger but do little work to it. If I remember correctly the master cylinder for power brakes and manual brakes is the same. The booster should be able to be taken off and it converted to manual. I do believe there would be the rod needed and possibly a mounting bracket. That I am not sure it has been many years.

I do hope the drum brakes you have are at least 11 inch? If you have 10's you don't have enough brakes. I had a 70 challenger with 11 inch manual drums that worked very well with a 440-6 4sp 4.88
Tim

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

werner

Its not that I am not going to upgrade the brakes jut no money this month left over. It was going to be a winter project for brakes. Waited 3 1/2 months for the engine just want to drive it  a few week before the snow flies. My plan was next year install an altercation front end with the brakes already installed. Dont want to buy  brake kit for stock fronmt e=nd this year if I am swapping out next year.
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.