News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it possible?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, September 20, 2009, 03:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

I started with my dashframe somewhere in june and I'm still not done. :brickwall: Since it was rather rusty I used a rustprimer after sanding
but unfortunatly that primer reacted towards the paint I then used on top. I tried everything possible to get it off but the only way was to use
my grinder with a "sandingdisc", think you refer to it as a shotchdisc?, and after that nor the primer or the paint attach to the dash without causing
it looking like half is dry and half is wet. My question is could using the machine with too high RPM and too deep have caused some electrical
reaction in the steel that makes the paint to not act normal? :scratchchin: I'm out of options, my last attempt would be to handpaint it with a
thick primer and sand it to see if that makes a difference.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bull

Why not just have it media blasted and start over? If you have it blasted make sure you get a coating of epoxy primer on it as soon as it's done.

Belgium R/T -68

What's the difference between epoxyprimer and normal primer? Could using spraycans cause my problem?

Per

jaak

Yes...spray cans are Laquer, not a good foundation for anything but laquer. I would prime it with epoxy after blasting.

Jason

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks guys but I don't think spaying the dashframe with a can will work, better leave it to a paintshop I guess.

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Gave it in to the blastershop today, will give it a last try when it's back.

Per

68chargerboy

they have epoxy primer in rattle cans now too.  u want etching primer for bare metal

bull

Quote from: 68chargerboy on September 22, 2009, 04:22:58 PM
they have epoxy primer in rattle cans now too.  u want etching primer for bare metal

Who sells spray can epoxy? And are you saying it is self-etching epoxy primer in a can?

68chargerboy

yea its self-etching in a spray can, im pretty sure napa has it if not i know a paint shop around u will and if u have to order it yearone/paddock have it.  but the self-etching is the only way to go inmo.  ive painted quite a few cars now and it gives the best result

bull

Wow. If that stuff is for real I'm in business. :2thumbs: Are you sure it's epoxy? There are a lot of self-etching primers out there but I've never heard of such a thing in epoxy.

68chargerboy

yes sir have a few cans of it at home

bull

Quote from: 68chargerboy on September 24, 2009, 09:26:30 AM

I read up on it some last night and apparently "they" say that rattle can epoxy primer is not a true epoxy.

"Real epoxy primer is a two-part mix, with a hardener that has to be added before spraying. The common epoxy paint you buy at the local hardware store in an aerosol can is not considered a true epoxy primer."

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Epoxy_primer

Maybe a paint expert can weigh in here because I have no idea which "fact" is truth.

68chargerboy

idk what it is then i bought it at a ppg paintshop for automotive paints.  i would send u a pick of it but im 360 miles away

jaak

Quote from: bull on September 24, 2009, 07:23:49 PM
Quote from: 68chargerboy on September 24, 2009, 09:26:30 AM

I read up on it some last night and apparently "they" say that rattle can epoxy primer is not a true epoxy.

"Real epoxy primer is a two-part mix, with a hardener that has to be added before spraying. The common epoxy paint you buy at the local hardware store in an aerosol can is not considered a true epoxy primer."

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Epoxy_primer

Maybe a paint expert can weigh in here because I have no idea which "fact" is truth.

They actually do make 2K products in spraybombs now, you have to puncture the bottom of the can or something to release the activator....from what I hear they are very expensive though, like 20 bucks a can, and after its activated you got to use it all then.
Here's a write up, for epoxy 2k aerosol... http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/solvent-resistant-real-2k-epoxy-aerosol-can-143345.html

Jason

NMike

blast it then powder coat it.