News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1st gen headlight motor / limiter switch sources.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, November 25, 2005, 01:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

A 1st gen guy I've met drove his car up to the ollady's store and was chatting and whatnot.   Then I get a call.

He's got a 67 and is having trouble locating sources for some rebuilt/new headlight motors and limiter switches.

I know all the 1st gen guys here have that info already so what's the deal with these?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

He didn't reveal the secret handshake did he?

I scrounged limit switches from the swap meet at the Nats several years ago and found headlight motors at a swapmeet in Detroit.  There was a place called Electromotive (I think) in Florida (I think)that rebuilt headlight motors and Keisler used to do it too.
His best bet is to log on to the 66-67 forum and go through David Walkers world famous source guide.

Ghoste

He also needs to be aware that even though the switches themselves are the same, the connectors are different from 66 to 67.  It can be made to work through carefully boogered up adapters, but still.
Also be aware that if he is buying used ones off of e-bait, he needs to know that the plunger on the switch frequently stays down with some of the junkyard specials.  It's best, but not often practical, to hold the switch in your hand so you can visually confirm that the plunger comes back out on it's own.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on November 25, 2005, 11:06:35 PM
He didn't reveal the secret handshake did he?

I scrounged limit switches from the swap meet at the Nats several years ago and found headlight motors at a swapmeet in Detroit.   There was a place called Electromotive (I think) in Florida (I think)that rebuilt headlight motors and Keisler used to do it too.
His best bet is to log on to the 66-67 forum and go through David Walkers world famous source guide.

You guys have a secret handshake?  :o 

I'll pass on the info...   I just know the dude mentioned he had some place tell him like $600 for motors and I don't know what about the limiters.   It's not my bag man.     He's kinda gun shy about used parts on ebay just like me...  I'll buy new parts there but I'm running about 50/50 on good quality versus outright scam or junk on the used parts.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

His most indispensable tool in restoring that car is likely the internet.  The 66-67 forum and the Yahoo mailing list are the very best source of parts.  I can list a dozen people from those two resources who can help so  much in restoring the 1st gens.  And he is right to back off from those motors at that price.  They can be rebuilt at home if he is mechanically inclined at all or he can buy rebuilt ones for about half that.
Thank God he didn't reveal the secret handshake that we don't have.  I swear we really don't have one.  We don't have any secret passwords either.  I just made that up.  We don't have any secret stuff.  Honest.

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Ghoste

He tricked me.  It's okay, he still doesn't know.

A383Wing

I have a number of sets of the 66 & 67 limit switches if he is still interested....email me direct at A383Wing@aol.com .

Bryan