News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield sunshades

Started by Ghoste, September 17, 2009, 11:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

How many people are using these things?  I've always hated the look of them but ever since I redid my interior last year (and the fact that my dash pad hasn't cracked yet) I've started thinking more and more about propping one up in my own windshield.  :-\

elacruze

I've used them always since I moved to Miami in '92.
I have a '96 Sunfire convertible and my GF has a '00 Cavalier.
The Sunfire has always had a window shade and armoralled interior, and all the plastic still looks great.
GF never uses either, and her dash is cracked in 3 or 4 places and getting chalky.
The Sunfire spent the 1st 4 years of it's life in Miami and the past 4 years in Stuart, FL.
GF's car was always in cloudy cold Michigan until the past 4 years.
Even though the Cav is 4 years newer and spent less time in the sun, it looks like crap inside.

It's a no-brainer.

I even keep a window shade in my crappy '85 GMC pickup too, it keeps the interior temperature down about 20*.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

Hey Ghoste, all the time, everyday in every vehicle. It's that or a full cover.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

They'd almost be a necessity where you guys are though wouldn't they?  That line from Miami to So Cal?   Anyways I appreciate the respone, I guess I'm hesitant because we don't use them as often here up north so they still look odd to me.  Not uncommon by any stretch at all but not seen in every vehicle either.  :shruggy:

71charger_fan

I always use one in hot weather, even on the showfield at Carlisle. Dash pads are too expensive and too hard to replace.

mauve66

look at it this way, sooner or later the pad will crack from the sun, do you want to take the windshield out to properly replace the pad???

or am i thinking of the dash frame in regards to having to take the windshield out??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

Quote from: mauve66 on September 20, 2009, 12:38:36 PM
look at it this way, sooner or later the pad will crack from the sun, do you want to take the windshield out to properly replace the pad???

I can't argue with that.

Rolling_Thunder

or am i thinking of the dash frame in regards to having to take the windshield out??

Dash frame...    the pad can be removed but it is STILL a complete BITCH
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 21, 2009, 11:52:49 PM

Dash frame...    the pad can be removed but it is STILL a complete BITCH

Oh is thaaat what that fugly Chubacca looking thing is on my dash... yea thats going in the trash bin... I'll gladly put in a shade sheet any day and every day before I put one of those hideous things back in my car..  :Twocents:

chargergirl

Looks silly but they work and you can actually touch the steering wheel when you get in the car. There are soooo many different kinds out there that you can get one that's really cool looking. They have the little cirle ones that pop out to fill the window...easy to store while your driving. And Yeah! Florida teaches you the hard way to take care of your dash. Up north the cars rust out and the interiors stay good. In the south interiors die and the car stays good. I've also seen a front window blow out from the heat in the Tampa area. All the windows were closed and the heat just took out the front window.
Trust your Woobie!

Ghoste

Lol, I'd rather fix interior soft trim than rust I think. :lol:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Ghoste on September 23, 2009, 08:35:49 AM

Yea but that's no fun... and you don't have a reason to repaint your car if its just the interior :nana:

chargergirl

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 23, 2009, 12:29:16 PM

Yea but that's no fun... and you don't have a reason to repaint your car if its just the interior :nana:
NOOO the body stays pretty good the paint fades from the intense sun. Lots of older cars in FL will look great through the body and bald on top. The hood and roof paint get the most abuse and it shows. If your not the type to wax your vehicle regularly it shows and shows BAD! Deck lid doesn't get as bad since there isn't any extra heat.
Trust your Woobie!

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: chargergirl on September 24, 2009, 07:15:41 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 23, 2009, 12:29:16 PM

NOOO the body stays pretty good the paint fades from the intense sun. Lots of older cars in FL will look great through the body and bald on top. The hood and roof paint get the most abuse and it shows. If your not the type to wax your vehicle regularly it shows and shows BAD! Deck lid doesn't get as bad since there isn't any extra heat.

I better never move to Florida then cause I'll be the first to admit my cars get a waxing once in a blue moon... I mean I've got to be in a damn good mood to want to sit there for 3 hours waxing and no less.  Because, once I start I know I won't be able to stop unless I get every nook and cranny... and if I'm not positive if I did or not I can't sleep well at night  :smilielol: So, knowing this, I don't wax often as if I don't wax there's no spots to miss!

Ghoste

I went ahead and bought one of the big cardboard shades for the Charger but interestingly I still notice that most of the replies came from the south.  ;)

472 R/T SE

I don't have them in my hot rods but my daily driver has one & I always try & use it.

My dd also doesn't have window tint up front & you can sure tell.  We don't get a lot of sunshine up here so maybe I'm brain washed into thinking it's a PITA when the sun shines.

I can sure tell when I was too lazy to use one on a hot day.  Big difference in cabin temperature.

I would think it's pretty common for folks down south.

I seen a windshield in a Magnum that had a mirror tint.  Pretty cool.