News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve reliefs

Started by frederick, September 23, 2009, 10:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frederick

Can you cut valve reliefs in the original cast pistons?
Problem I'm having is inadequate piston to valve clearance on one cylinder.(0.080")

Cheers,

Frederick

Challenger340

Is it an Intake or Exhaust Valve ?

I've personally run as tight as .060" Int & .080" Exhaust.
BUT !
Make sure EVERYTHING is right, Valve Lash, etc., and especially Valve Spring pressures, are set correctly for the application/Camshaft Requirements.

Yes, you can machine Flycuts in stock cast Pistons, just make sure they will have no less than .150" thickness at the root depth of the Flycut.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

frederick

Thanks for the reply Challenger340.

I was worried the cast pistons might not take flycuts.

The problem is the intake valve to piston clearance which is 0.080" instead of the recommended 0.100"

I have got ali heads, don't know if that makes a difference to the clearance you have to run.
Camshaft is a flat tappet hydraulic Lunati 60302 voodoo.(262/268-0.475/0.495)
Comp Beehive springs, setup to 130lbs seat, 290nose pressure.
Got all installed heights within 0.005", haven't got a spring pressure checker.
Hydraulic cam so no lash.

I checked the crown thickness on an old piston: 0.31" and I'm not going to make the reliefs deeper than 0.03"

Reason it's just one cylinder is that the pistons are not all at the same height.
7 are 0.039-0.043" down the hole, but one is 0.023".
Don't know yet wether it's the crank,rod or piston that's the source.

I could retard the cam 4 degrees, this gives 0.099" clearance, but then exhaust is down to 0.113". :shruggy:

Frederick

frederick

Cut one very small relief.

Tested p/v clearance again 0.0105" :2thumbs:
I tested with a hydraulic lifter shimmed up to make a solid.

One question: should you adjust to give 0.030" preload or adjust for zero lash with the "solid lifter"?
I've found some contractionary info on this.

Cheers

Frederick

frederick

Quote from: frederick on September 24, 2009, 11:21:59 AM
One question: should you adjust to give 0.030" preload or adjust for zero lash with the "solid lifter"?
I've found some contractionary info on this.

Figured it out myself.
Lifter plunger diameter=0.62"
Area=1/4*pi*D^2 = 0.311 square inch

Suppose oil pressure is 100psi
100*0.311=31.1lbs

Seat pressure = 130lbs , so no way will the plunger go up in the lifter when the valve opens.

Cheers,

Frederick

Challenger340

Apologies Frederick, I wasn't paying attention, but seems you've got things figured out anyways.

Aluminum heads "grow", hence typically why Guys drop the Head Torque by 10%.

Intake Valves, do not "grow" as much as Exhaust Valves(more Heat exposure and expansion length-wise).

Either way, I wouldn't sweat the .080" Intake Clearance, as long as the Valve Spring Pressure is up to snuff.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !