News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why do "we", as in us... always do a RIP for famous people?

Started by RD, September 14, 2009, 11:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Do not mean to sound totally unsympathetic or crass, but take the Patrick Swayze post for example.  he was just an actor.  i just dont get the idolizing of a recently deceased actor as being a huge, saddened event in which we talk/post of him like we knew him.  Remembering his movies would be a rebuttal that many would come up with.  But is that really him? He was just playing a role in a film.  It wasnt really his personality we were viewing, but rather the character he was portraying. Heck, he could have been a mean, condescending jerkwad for all we know.

Sad that anyone has to go due to the Big C, but if we are going to glorify every single popular or famous person that has died, I will start posting every single obituary from my local newspaper to see how many responses we get.  They are people, they have died, should they not receive the same saddened response?  Granted, they may not have done a huge movie in which they could have profited millions of dollars from the people who have gone to watch it, but still... I am sure they have impacted thousands of people's lives in some fashion.  Should not this impact deserve recognition, or would we get tired of seeing these obituaries on this site due to their repetitive and depressing nature?  (really, I am not going to do it, it was rhetorical).

Hey, you all are going to do what you are going to do, but personally I see every single remembrance post to some actor or famous person (that none of us have frickin' known) as assinine and totally worthless.  But hey, that is my  :Twocents: . that and 98 cents more will get me a coffee.

I am sure many of you will see me as a insensitive prick, but I dont care.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

It's the "Cult of Personality" and I blame tv shows like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" or "Entertainment Tonight" and magazines like "People".  When someone like Paris Hilton can be famous for absolutely nothing at all, well, it's just a sad part of our alleged culture.

jaak

I think in the case of Swayze, I done it just because I liked alot of the movies he was in..... now a couple of months ago, when Wacko Jacko, kicked the bucket....I think my comment played a role in that thread getting locked.

PS--- I hope Kanya West don't show up at Swayze's funeral and say "Micheal Jackson had the best death of the year....I'll let ya get back to the funeral, but Michael had the best death of the year....just sayin'."

Jason

Mike DC

Kanye West is an egotisical dork.  

There are plenty of other egotistical dorks in the media industry, but Kanye has just that kind of unpleasant ego that doesn't go over well.  The big, blunt, unaware-of-itself kind.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

It's just a way for people to connect with each other. Not much time and effort is usually devoted to it when it does happen but I think people just like to share similar things they have in common and this is a good format to do that.

my73charger

Yeah, I guess when I respond to such news of a celebrity type, I just say, wow bummer...then I move on.  A RIP for some of my favorite actors is kinda like me giving my condolences on it, but I don't lose any sleep when they die cause I didn't know them personally.

moparstuart

I personally think  patrick was a great guy and have been following his cancer fight the last couple of years.  I was really pulling for him to beat it .   :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

I understand what you are saying but I think people post because his work is something many people have in common.  If you posted the obit for Joe Smoe maybe some one on here would know who he was.  When you post that Patrick Swayze died I would guess everyone on here at least has heard of him.  It is no big deal.  If you don't care about Mr Swayze, don't read the thread.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: jaak on September 15, 2009, 12:24:33 AM
I think in the case of Swayze, I done it just because I liked alot of the movies he was in..... now a couple of months ago, when Wacko Jacko, kicked the bucket....I think my comment played a role in that thread getting locked.

PS--- I hope Kanya West don't show up at Swayze's funeral and say "Micheal Jackson had the best death of the year....I'll let ya get back to the funeral, but Michael had the best death of the year....just sayin'."

Jason

Your frickin hilarious... that just cracked me up right there.  :2thumbs:  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Oh and yea people being sad about celebrity deaths is pretty stupid... unless you know the person who the hell cares.  When really good people in our society die that actually tried to help people and not make big bucks they get maybe a page in the back of the local paper and a half decent funeral.  When a celebrity dies they get 70 magazines with their faces on the cover millions of people congregating at their local "throw you shit on the side walk and light a few remembrance candles gatherings"  Weeks and weeks of continuous news coverage(in the case of wacko jacko) pretty much just because they were good at making money not even really anything that changed anyones life.  So here's two more cents... now go find 96 more I'm with you on this one because I know I'm going to be just as irritated when theres 70 more mags with Lindsay Lohans face is on the cover cause she overdosed on coke.  :Twocents:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on September 14, 2009, 11:13:23 PM

You are not insensitive!  :icon_smile_big:    My bud has some boat parts if you want them! Call me!

Todd

Tilar

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you or any of the regulars on here died I'm sure someone would post a RIP thread about it. It's just a show of respect for their accomplishments in life and Patrick Swayze rated right up there for what he accomplished. As far as he was "just playing a role in a film" I see it a little different. Imagine if PeeWee Herman had played in Road House, Sure he could have learned the lines but I just don't think it would have had the same effect.   :girlfight:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Neal_J

RD:

I agree with you.  It feels there's almost a rush among some to post an RIP thread immediately following someone's death or other newsworthy event.  I seem to recall like 4 threads within hours of Michael Jackson's death.   Don't most members periodically check CNN or the news sits can therefore learn of celebrity deaths that way, rather than via DC.com??  I guess there's an unmet "look at me" need that such threads fulfill for those that post them.

Regarding Swayze's demise yesterday, I was more more by the dreadful cause of his death and reflected about those that pancreatic cancer have already taken & those that are currently afflicted.  In our hobby, for example.
That's such a shame. 

Brock Samson

Do not mean to sound totally unsympathetic or crass, but take the Patrick Swayze post for example.  he was just an actor.  i just dont get the idolizing of a recently deceased actor as being a huge, saddened event in which we talk/post of him like we knew him.  Remembering his movies would be a rebuttal that many would come up with.  But is that really him? He was just playing a role in a film.  It wasnt really his personality we were viewing, but rather the character he was portraying. Heck, he could have been a mean, condescending jerkwad for all we know.

Sad that anyone has to go due to the Big C, but if we are going to glorify every single popular or famous person that has died, I will start posting every single obituary from my local newspaper to see how many responses we get.  They are people, they have died, should they not receive the same saddened response?  Granted, they may not have done a huge movie in which they could have profited millions of dollars from the people who have gone to watch it, but still... I am sure they have impacted thousands of people's lives in some fashion.  Should not this impact deserve recognition, or would we get tired of seeing these obituaries on this site due to their repetitive and depressing nature?  (really, I am not going to do it, it was rhetorical).

Hey, you all are going to do what you are going to do, but personally I see every single remembrance post to some actor or famous person (that none of us have frickin' known) as assinine and totally worthless.  But hey, that is my   . that and 98 cents more will get me a coffee.

Welp, i understand why they get threads, it's because we saw their movies or listened to their music or voted for them, hated them and thought they were creeps or whatever...  :shruggy:
 I don't see why your all upset and so sensitive about it... I went to two funerals this week one yesterday and one this morning which i just got back from... I'm not gonna make a post about it,.. cause you don't care no matter how close I was to the these fine folks who I will miss,.. that makes three this yr.
But I wont ignore a post about a celebrity, these people touch millions of folks' lives.
  I saw Jim Carroll three times have his records and think his lyrics are particularly on target. Jim meant more to me Personally then Patrick but I liked his films, thought he did a great job in Donnie Darko one of my favorite films BTW...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lBk1apr-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkur2epZhyc

People Who Died by Jim Carroll and the Jim Carroll Band.

Teddy sniffing glue, he was 12 years old
Fell from the roof on East Two-nine
Cathy was 11 when she pulled the plug
On 26 reds and a bottle of wine
Bobby got leukemia, 14 years old
He looked like 65 when he died
He was a friend of mine

Those are people who died, died
They were all my friends, and they died

G-berg and Georgie let their gimmicks go rotten
So they died of hepatitis in upper Manhattan
Sly in Vietnam took a bullet in the head
Bobby OD'd on Drano on the night that he was wed
They were two more friends of mine
Two more friends that died

Mary took a dry dive from a hotel room
Bobby hung himself from a cell in the tombs
Judy jumped in front of a subway train
Eddie got slit in the jugular vein
And Eddie, I miss you more than all the others
And I salute you brother

Herbie pushed Tony from the Boys' Club roof
Tony thought that his rage was just some goof
But Herbie sure gave Tony some bitchen proof
"Hey," Herbie said, "Tony, can you fly?"
But Tony couldn't fly, Tony died

Brian got busted on a narco rap
He beat the rap by rattin' on some bikers
He said, "Hey, I know it's dangerous, but it sure beats Riker's"
But the next day he got offed by the very same bikers

Teddy sniffing glue, he was 12 years old
Fell from the roof on East Two-nine
Cathy was 11 when she pulled the plug
On 26 reds and a bottle of wine
Bobby got leukemia, 14 years old
He looked like 65 when he died
He was a friend of mine

G-berg and Georgie let their gimmicks go rotten
So they died of hepatitis in upper Manhattan
Sly in Vietnam took a bullet in the head
Bobby OD'd on Drano on the night that he was wed
They were two more friends of mine
Two more friends that died

Mary took a dry dive from a hotel room
Bobby hung himself from a cell in the tombs
Judy jumped in front of a subway train
Eddie got slit in the jugular vein
And Eddie, I miss you more than all the others
And I salute you brother

Tilar

Quote from: Neal_J on September 15, 2009, 12:53:02 PM
I guess there's an unmet "look at me" need that such threads fulfill for those that post them.

Kind of like the "unmet look at me need " to jump on the band wagon and criticize people that post these types of threads in an off topic duscussion area? It is no different.  All of these threads have had the topic on what they are about,  If people still click on the topic and read what they are about they have nothing to complain about.  :Twocents:
Dave  

4cruzin

I don't mind because if you didn't post them on here . . I would never know they died.  I didn't know he died until I read this thread. BTW who the hell is Kanye West??   :shruggy:   
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Brock Samson

K. west is a current Fav. on the R&B playlist has been for a few years now, he tends to be pretty popular and gets a fair share of awards at these Corporate Award shows like on MTV and BET and such, he's also fond of drinking and ruining the shows with his "sometimes" innapropriate behavior, I think of him as a simple bully with a drinking problem who never recived a spanking from his dad for thugish behavior, he ruined another award show night before last going on stage a grabbing the mic. from a young gal who won her first award because his choice didn't win. Pretty much pissed off everyone who witnessed it.

jaak

Quote from: 4cruzin on September 15, 2009, 01:09:29 PM
BTW who the hell is Kanye West??   :shruggy:   

A racist egotistical SOB, that thinks he's God's gift to R&B Music......when in reality....he sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjlUpULt0Mo

Jason

dodgecharger-fan

I think we're all missing the most important point here, and that is....

Where can you get a cup of coffee for a dollar?!?!

RD

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on September 15, 2009, 05:05:57 PM
I think we're all missing the most important point here, and that is....

Where can you get a cup of coffee for a dollar?!?!

OMG!! that was hilarious.. had me laughing.. thank you!!!!

QuoteWelp, i understand why they get threads, it's because we saw their movies or listened to their music or voted for them, hated them and thought they were creeps or whatever... 
  I don't see why your all upset and so sensitive about it... I went to two funerals this week one yesterday and one this morning which i just got back from... I'm not gonna make a post about it,.. cause you don't care no matter how close I was to the these fine folks who I will miss,.. that makes three this yr.
But I wont ignore a post about a celebrity, these people touch millions of folks' lives.
   I saw Jim Carroll three times have his records and think his lyrics are particularly on target. Jim meant more to me Personally then Patrick but I liked his films, thought he did a great job in Donnie Darko one of my favorite films BTW...

first, i am not upset.. i was putting forth a question/statement.  upset is me not saying anything because i think someone is full of shit and they are not worth the time of a rebuttal post.

secondly, for you to assume that i wouldnt care that you are personally hurting by attending funerals of friends of yours (since i have known you for about 6 years now) is not true.  I can truly empathize with you and would be more than willing to offer a prayer for you (just like i did for swayze's family believe it or not).  never assume mate, especially with me.

i am just saying a actor is a ACTOR.  We know only the characters they have played, not truly who they are.  so for us to do vigils and idolize these people is just ludicrous in my eyes.  I am not saying that you are wrong for feeling what you feel, i just dont get it and I never have.  Sorry, just dont feel it like you do.

QuoteIt is no big deal.  If you don't care about Mr Swayze, don't read the thread.

i didn't.  i saw the title, that is all i needed to see.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

jb666

To me, it's just a matter of spreading some news that was circulating like wildfire about a guy who fought a battle so many of us can relate to. I don't know Patrick Swayze personally, but I lost someone I care about very much to pancreatic cancer, so his battle was one I was personally hoping he'd beat.

Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry the mere mention of it bothered you so much, it definitely wasn't he intention of the title.  :cheers:

captnsim

Where in the hell are you getting a coffee for a buck RD...1.29 is the cheapest around here.  :nana:

Cancer...  :-\

RD

Quote from: jb666 on September 15, 2009, 08:46:10 PM
To me, it's just a matter of spreading some news that was circulating like wildfire about a guy who fought a battle so many of us can relate to. I don't know Patrick Swayze personally, but I lost someone I care about very much to pancreatic cancer, so his battle was one I was personally hoping he'd beat.

Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry the mere mention of it bothered you so much, it definitely wasn't he intention of the title.  :cheers:

its not just this post and I am not so put out by people posting, I just truly do not "get" why people find it necessary to promote a minor form of idolatry to a person we have never known.  Call it a weird curiousity that has piqued my interest.  In many ways I am a very unsympathetic SOB, so I guess that is partially why I dont understand our forum based "wake" threads in regards to these people.

Personally, I find many actors as nothing but drama ridden, attention whores (I mean they have to be in order to be in front of a camera, I understand that job requirement).  So, part of my disdain for their public "its all about me" behavior spurs my question as to why we find it acceptable for attention whores to be glorified and pasted into history books when we, ourselves (and I am stretching it by speaking for others I know), despise f'in attention whores when they are around us. I guess unless you are one, then you would be pissed if "one" was around you getting all your attention.  Whereas I get pissed just because they require huge amounts of attention like a OCD 3 mos old puppy chasing a fricken ball.

so now you know why i give a shit less for actors and celebrities.

Tilar

Quote from: RD on September 15, 2009, 11:23:44 PM
Personally, I find many actors as nothing but drama ridden, attention whores (I mean they have to be in order to be in front of a camera, I understand that job requirement).  So, part of my disdain for their public "its all about me" behavior spurs my question as to why we find it acceptable for attention whores to be glorified and pasted into history books when we, ourselves (and I am stretching it by speaking for others I know), despise f'in attention whores when they are around us. I guess unless you are one, then you would be pissed if "one" was around you getting all your attention.  Whereas I get pissed just because they require huge amounts of attention like a OCD 3 mos old puppy chasing a fricken ball.

so now you know why i give a shit less for actors and celebrities.

Well one thing for sure, You got your share of attention with this thread. 
Dave  

Old Moparz

Posting about dead celebrities on a forum just seems to be the internet version of babbling the useless babble with friends or coworkers & such. It's no different than when you end up talking to someone you know & you need a topic to discuss after you finish beating the weather into the ground.

You or Me: "Hey, how's it going today?"

Someone Else: "Oh, not bad. I wish it would stop raining though."

You or Me: "Well, rain sucks sometimes, but think about where we'd all be without it."

Someone Else: "True, I didn't think of it that way."

You or Me: "Good thing I saw you today to point that out."

Someone Else: "Yes, I don't know if I would have remembered what I was taught in science class back in grade school."

You or Me: "I make it a point to remind people of things like that. You just never know when you might be selected to go on the Who Wants To Be A Millionare show & not want to use up all those lifelines. You could get a really tough question like, 'What type of plant was introduced in New York State in the 1800's that never grew there originally & is now a problem to native plants?' It would suck if you wasted a call to someone on weather related crap."

Someone Else: "Wow, that is a good point."

You or Me: "Do you think it's a good enough point to start a thread on?"

Someone Else: "No, it's actually pretty freakin' stupid."
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry