News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Defining the exotic supercars

Started by Ghoste, September 15, 2009, 06:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Since they have come up a quite a bit lately, how does everyone typically define an exotic supercar?  By price?  Performance?  Country of origin?  Practicality or performance?  For example, would you consider a Corvette or Viper to be an exotic?  What about an NSX?

Musicman

For me Exotic would refer to "unusual" Styling and/or Performance... an Exotic Super Car would have both  :D

You can have a car from an exotic country, or one with an exotic price, but that still does not make it an exotic vehicle in my book. :Twocents:

:cheers:

PocketThunder

I know what exotic style i like!   :D
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

John_Kunkel

My insurance company calls my Viper an exotic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: Small production run = exclusivity + expensive.  :shruggy:

Magnumcharger

Anything owned/driven by Jeremy Clarkson!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bull

I can't define it but I know it when I see it. ;)

Ghoste

John, do you consider your Viper an exotic? (and why)

aussiemuscle

i consider the viper exotic, but downunder they are very rare and expensive. i've seen them go for $200,000, and private imports start at 120,000  :eek2: i'd love a first gen viper.

Musicman

Myself, I would consider the Viper an American exotic :yesnod: It's definitely not the status quo... Then again, our vehicles are no longer status quo either. That having been said, there may be those who would say that we are driving American exotics as well :D

Ghoste

So might it be fair to say then that the definition is somewhat intangible?  Personally, I don't know that I would put the Viper as an exotic supercar.  By my own personal definition, the fact that it is somewhat affordable (compared to an Enzo for example), somewhat readily available (compared to a Lamborghini) and perhaps above all, an actual competition vehicle.  For my own ideas, my last qualifier is what sets it (and cars like the Corvette or Porsche) apart from vehicles like the Veyron.  Although both are fantastic performers and both are status symbols I personally tend to think of the Viper as being engineered and marketed with performance and competition as key components of it's "halo car" reason for being.  Whereas when I think of an exotic supercar, I tend to think of the ownership status as being the fundamental reason.
Just me. :Twocents: ( :Twocents: two more being long winded)

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2009, 07:49:44 PM
John, do you consider your Viper an exotic? (and why)

Yes. Why? I dunno, 'cause that's the label most often pasted on them. It's looks are exotic to me but it's performance is more like a muscle car....same can be said of a Vette but they're as common as dirt so the low production plays a part in its moniker.

Trying to define the category of any car is probably the quickest way to attract controversy among motorheads, for instance the term "muscle car" is thrown around at random but, in a crowd of a hundred motorheads, I doubt if you'd find a handful that agree on exactly what constitutes a muscle car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Musicman

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 16, 2009, 07:14:02 PM
Trying to define the category of any car is probably the quickest way to attract controversy among motorheads, for instance the term "muscle car" is thrown around at random but, in a crowd of a hundred motorheads, I doubt if you'd find a handful that agree on exactly what constitutes a muscle car.

Right you are John... but at least we can agree on the fact that none of us agree :smilielol:

Ghoste

And as long as it's respectful of the different opinions, it's still fun.

Landonsrt

I would classify exotics in the price range of $200,000 or more. I would classify cars with a price of a Vette (Z06, ZR1) and all Vipers as sports cars. Jeremy Clarkson also defines them this way. Anything that is super expensive and high hp as supercars, exotics.
Yeah you can get a Viper and a ZR1 with over 600hp. But who would get more attention? A guy in a Viper? Or the guy in a Gallardo????

Ponch ®

I agree that it's futile to try to define "an exotic". In my personal opinion though, I think it's a combination of price, performance, and mainly, production/availability. If Chevy only built 200 'vettes a year and priced them at $200,000 they would be considered 'exotics'.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

warmpancakes

My typhoon  (gmc suv)  is considered exotic by haggerty :smilielol:

Ghoste

Okay, now we gotta draw the line somewhere. :lol:

warmpancakes

when The guy told me they consider it exotic my reply was "ill go with that" it keeps the insurance dirt cheap so im happy

Landonsrt

Quote from: warmpancakes on September 18, 2009, 08:25:04 AM
when The guy told me they consider it exotic my reply was "ill go with that" it keeps the insurance dirt cheap so im happy

Really? I thought it would be more. I know we were talking about low production numbers but a truck? Exotic? Hell my insurance on my 2004 SRT4 was almost $300 a month when I was 24! They just put it in the same class a Mustangs and vettes.

warmpancakes

265 a year  20k agreed value  theres a huge difference between a used srt and a collector car (only made 4500)plus your 24,  once you hit 25 insurance drops alot.   

Landonsrt

Yeah it did drop when I turned 25. And the when I got married it went down to around $90.00 a month.  The biggest decrease was when i got married. Imagine what insurance would cost on a Veyron!

warmpancakes

If you can afford a million dollar car does it matter :shruggy:

Landonsrt

No. But that exatcly why I cant imagine it..