News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Spot a fake

Started by MRCHARGER, September 13, 2009, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRCHARGER

Part 1: On the 68's, besides the fender tag, and broadcast sheet are there any other obvious ways to tell if a car was a real R/T or not. I know you have to check the leaf springs, torsion bars and dual exhaust hangers but if there is no engine or trans, no fender tag and just the dash VIN tag (which says XS29L8...) are there any other things I might have missed. It has a 22" radiator opening but I thought that was standard on a non-ac car. The 26" was Hemi and AC equipped R/T's right?

Part 2: Is there any way to search the VIN tags corresponding build number?

I'd just like to know if this car is a donor and the dash/title is from an R/T or if it's the real thing. Appreciate any info!

Dans 68

Welcome to the site, MRCHARGER.

Yes, the 22" radiator was standard on non A/C 440 R/T's. And as you say the 26" were for Hemi's and A/C 440's. As far as the other non-obvious features of a R/T I think you have it covered. Are the vin rosetta rivets original? Doesn't mean the dash pad was not changed out, of course. Check to see if the radiator support stamping is the same as the trunk lip...this can tell you if the car has remained intact and can give you a sense of its history. Also the stamped number would match the missing fender tag S.O. number.

Other members should chime in presently with better information. All things being equal, if the car has the XS vin, the proper number of leaf springs, and the larger torsion rods it most likely is an R/T. But with the engine, transmission and fender tag missing, and no documentation available from Chrysler (records burned up in a fire a long time ago) it really doesn't matter. Get an engine and transmission and get the R/T on the road.  :2thumbs:

And as I mentioned above there are no Chrysler records available to search for any information on the car.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

6bblgt

I agree ...... '68s are a tough year, without an original tag, b'cast sheet or window sticker, body swaps become relatively difficult to identify.  :eek2:  Does the assembly plant match on both the body stampings (1st digit) and VIN tag (7th digit)?  The only other thing I could think of is the dates on dated components that appear to be from the original body VS. the date when that specific VIN# would've been built.

Finn

The body stampings are found on the trunk opening lip and the top of the radiator support btw.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Sinister68

Any '68 Charger with A/C, R/T or not, will have the 26" radiator.
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

bullit68

look on the rear tail panel and see if there are holes drilled for the rt emblem.or if you can see the "standard"charger emblem holes welded or bondo'd over.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Dans 68 on September 13, 2009, 05:40:20 PM
Welcome to the site, MRCHARGER.

Yes, the 22" radiator was standard on non A/C 440 R/T's. And as you say the 26" were for Hemi's and A/C 440's. As far as the other non-obvious features of a R/T I think you have it covered. Are the vin rosetta rivets original? Doesn't mean the dash pad was not changed out, of course. Check to see if the radiator support stamping is the same as the trunk lip...this can tell you if the car has remained intact and can give you a sense of its history. Also the stamped number would match the missing fender tag S.O. number.

Other members should chime in presently with better information. All things being equal, if the car has the XS vin, the proper number of leaf springs, and the larger torsion rods it most likely is an R/T. But with the engine, transmission and fender tag missing, and no documentation available from Chrysler (records burned up in a fire a long time ago) it really doesn't matter. Get an engine and transmission and get the R/T on the road.  :2thumbs:

Dan, I'm too tired and lazy to look it up but would a 68 R/T have the larger fuel line and a return line from a vapor separator?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dans 68

Hmm, I'm a bit jaded and faded also tonight, but I believe you are right. A few more details to identify an R/T. I know that the fuel tank sending unit pickup tubes were 5/16" dia on the 318 and 383's, while the 440's and Hemi's used a 3/8" diameter. The vapor separator used on the 440's in '68 and '69 is part number 3004107 (the 383's used part number 2495528 in 1968).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Magnumcharger

Don't forget that all R/Ts also have dual exhaust, therefore there should be the additional bolt-on muffler hanger bracket on the left side.

Yes, 383 fourbarrel cars had this as well.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

aussiemuscle

i think if you're buying a charger with no drivetrain it won't matter in the slightest whether it's an R/T or not? i'd buy it assuming it wasn't and bid approprately.

OldGuy

Does it still have the rearend in it?  Most were Dana 60's in the R/T's.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

472 R/T SE

Quote from: OldGuy on September 15, 2009, 08:19:23 PM
If it was an original 4 gear then Dana 60's were in the R/T's.

FYP

hemigeno

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on September 14, 2009, 11:54:47 PM
Dan, I'm too tired and lazy to look it up but would a 68 R/T have the larger fuel line and a return line from a vapor separator?

Doug,

68-9 440 B-bodies got the 5/16" fuel line even though (as Dan pointed out) they got the larger-diameter 3/8" fuel tank sending unit.  Weird & somewhat counter-intuitive, I know.  Both 440's and Hemi's got the 1/4" return line, but only Hemicars got the 3/8" fuel line from the tank to the separator.

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Khyron

I spot a fake when she makes a wierd noise then says she has to leav...... wait, what are we talkking about?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BB1

Mr Charger, what car are you referring. With only 2 post we'd like to know more about your project.
Delete my profile

motorcitydak

Wouldn't an R/T car have torque boxes too? That is a dead give away there

BTW, I have a '68 440 bare block .060 that is begging to have a 512 kit
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

maxwellwedge

Quote from: motorcitydak on January 09, 2010, 11:03:31 PM
Wouldn't an R/T car have torque boxes too? That is a dead give away there

BTW, I have a '68 440 bare block .060 that is begging to have a 512 kit

Our buddies at the plant missed putting some/all torque boxes on quite a few Hemi cars.

MRCHARGER

Torque boxes were used on convertables and hemi cars. i never had them on my 440 cars that i remember.