News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Names for different car builds

Started by G-man, September 15, 2009, 12:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hey, didnt want to continue on another mans 68/69 charger thread about Pro-touring etc so I made a fresh one.

What constitutes a:

A: Pro-Touring car (if you slap on big diameter wheels is it automaticaly a pro-tourer in looks if nothing else?)

B: Pro-stock car ?

C: Pro-Street

D: Hot-Rod

I kinda hear those terms but on the basis of how a car looks, whats the difference between them physically?

If I go 528 hemi with 600hp, 650 torque, dana 60, mini tubbed, 15.2" wide hoosier Pro Street's, dual dominator carburettors, all stock interior, show finish paint scheme, everything chromed up in engine bay, (no air cleaners sticking out of hood). billet breaks 12.19" ones on 15x12" wheels

That would be what now exactly?

Its a cruiser car just wth wide wheels and good breaks and stock interior show finish paintjob and evething chromed in engine bay.

Hot Rod, Pro-stock, Pro-street, what?

Rolling_Thunder

I would call it Pro-Street...     :Twocents:    I built a similar Charger -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68X426

It will only matter when you put a price tag on it and write the ad to sell. Then you can call your vehicle whatever helps it sell.  :Twocents:

To me you got a hot rod.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68RRFlyer

Quote from: G-man on September 15, 2009, 12:13:30 AM
What constitutes a:

A: Pro-Touring car (if you slap on big diameter wheels is it automaticaly a pro-tourer in looks if nothing else?)

B: Pro-stock car ?

C: Pro-Street

D: Hot-Rod

I kinda hear those terms but on the basis of how a car looks, whats the difference between them physically?

I'll take a stab as I see it;

A:  A car that's built to go the long haul with performance in mind.  Mainly, something that can go on long cruises and still retain a performance image.  Not just big wheels, but a performance suspension and chassis, cusomt plush interior, and a high-but not crazy high-HP motor.  There's more design and engineering here than most customs.  Something like a Chrysler 300 SRT-8 would qualify as a factory pro-touring car in my mind.  Along those lines

B:  A car that's built to qualify and run in the NHRA/IHRA division named after the fact that they represent the factory cars on the outside but are 100% drag race machines on the inside.  They are known as door slammers since the doors still open and close like a factory car.  At least they used to.  It's been a little while since I watched racing. :whistling:

C:  See answer B but built street legal in all ways and has some creature comforts like an interior, radio, etc. and usually adorned with nice paint and custom touches that make it stand out and show well with lots of chrome.

D:  Usually assigned to pre war cars (deuce coupes, 34 Fords, etc) or cars of the 50s era,  but really refers to anything that greatly modified from the extreme now a days.

You're build?  Whatever you want to call it!   :2thumbs:

Just my  :Twocents:

Cheers  :cheers:     
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

G-man

I thought Pro-Street was like pro-stock just its a drag type of car designed for the street rather than all out drag (pro-stock).

And I dont know why anyone calls muscle cars Hot-Rod, i always pictured These cars as Hotrods... http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mno/Mercury-leadsled-black-yellow-flames-le.jpg

:cheers: