News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OBD II code readers

Started by Ghoste, August 21, 2009, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Those of you with code scanners for new cars, are there certain brands and features that you recommend people get or avoid?  I am talking about very occasional use here so I don't think I need the super deluxe version with built in microwave, cell phone, and laser zombie killer but I don't want one that's virtually useless either.

resq302

I have had good luck with my Actron scanner.  I think it was just under $200 and it is updateable also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RD

occasional use? find your local o'reilly autoparts, they let you borrow it in the parking lot so  you can do a quick read of your car's comp.  why buy one when its free to use?

ur not a canuck are ya?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

I am and in my town that is sadly not an option.

The70RT

I have a Kal-Equip. They are around 150......well about 5 years ago it was. Works fine with no problem since i got it. If you do any work at all on your own it is a good invesment. It is nice to have one so If you work on your own car you can erase the code after you preformed the procedure. Also if do some work and start the engine with a component unplugged you don't have to run to get it erased. Some even have a check engine light come on when you don't get your fuel cap on tight. I always take mine when I am on the road for any time so if the check engine light comes on I have an idea of what's going on.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Silver R/T

here's one Ive got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAN-Bus-Universal-OBD-II-OBD-2-Code-Scanner-Reader-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c507ac0ddQQitemZ190328783069QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
It worked great for me, I fixed cars for family friends, being able to pull codes and see what's wrong with the car. One of best tools if you have later model cars
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71charger_fan

I have an Autel that cost me $40 from Amazon and works fine on my '99 Grand Cherokee.

wayfast1500

I dont know what auto parts shops you have up there, but I know Autozone, advance auto ect all have some they will let you use free as mentioned.  Ive done it a bunch of times, only times I've wished I had one was when I had to borrow one when the truck isnt running to get to the shop.  I forget who makes them but they sell kits that plug into your lap top and will not only scan, but some will even allow you to change shift points, ignition ect, and when I looked into them they were a lot cheaper than a hand held code reader.  It will also show you whats going on, and engine parameters. 

http://www.obd-codes.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/4

jaak

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 22, 2009, 11:55:21 PM
here's one Ive got
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAN-Bus-Universal-OBD-II-OBD-2-Code-Scanner-Reader-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c507ac0ddQQitemZ190328783069QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
It worked great for me, I fixed cars for family friends, being able to pull codes and see what's wrong with the car. One of best tools if you have later model cars

Hey Silver, are you able to download update's with this tool? Seems like a good one for the price.

Jason

Nitrox

Im a gear head/ collector of tools. So I own an Actron which I think is an excellent brand. I purchased it from AutoZone. Also, AutoZone checks these codes FREE of charge nationwide and will even print out the result for you to take to the mechanic.

WINGMAN

The DRB 3 at the Dodge dealership ( I use it every day ) works very well, i see them on e-bay. :icon_smile_big:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Silver R/T

Quote from: jaak on August 26, 2009, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on August 22, 2009, 11:55:21 PM
here's one Ive got

Hey Silver, are you able to download update's with this tool? Seems like a good one for the price.

Jason

I haven't tried it yet but maybe you can. However what kind of updates would you need really? Your onboard computer doesn't change over time.
Now some guys on here mentioned about tuning power, shift points etc, That is NOT a scanner, Totally different tool, they're tuners and they usually DO let you download software updates, etc. They are not to be confused with scanners.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Updates are needed though if you are using it to scan a variety of cars as there are changes year to year.

68 RT

I bought the 40 dollar one from auto zone about 5 years ago. Works great no problems. If you just need one to read and clear codes this is one for you. obd 2 for all cars is the same.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2009, 12:01:28 AM
Updates are needed though if you are using it to scan a variety of cars as there are changes year to year.

obd2 is standard on cars build from 96 and up, there are no updates needed. My scanner works great on any obd2 equipped car, that's the beauty of it. Unline obd1, obd2 has standard port and no updates/adapters are needed as it was with obd1 equipped cars where each car had their own adapter

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

That's the first I've heard of that.

The70RT

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 15, 2009, 09:13:24 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2009, 12:01:28 AM

obd2 is standard on cars build from 96 and up, there are no updates needed. My scanner works great on any obd2 equipped car, that's the beauty of it. Unline obd1, obd2 has standard port and no updates/adapters are needed as it was with obd1 equipped cars where each car had their own adapter

I have some of the pre 96 OBD2 ones too. They just have the blinking lights for codes. You had to buy different ones for Chevy, Ford and Chrysler's with multiples for different years on some. I remember a friend had a Saturn back then and had to buy one specifically just for that car. :P  Probably different ones for imports but I don't have any.  I believe some kind of a regulation came about and now only one scanner is necessary for all american made vehicles.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

My understanding of it (and keep in mind that I'm the guy asking the questions because I don't own one so this is not to be taken as fact) is that the protocols used to transmit this information is what became standardized with OBD II. 
In any case, of the different ones I have looked at some offer free updates and others you have to pay for.  Now I have absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what might be affected by these real or claimed updates, only that some are free and some are not.  :shruggy:

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722