News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you guys think of this?

Started by mopar73, September 11, 2009, 11:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar73

This was my original high school car 73 400, 4bbl, auto, 8.75.  During school it was the original silver frost metallic until I left for the Army where I had it painted the chebby orange.   Unfortunatly this car is no longer with us :'( :'( I managed to find a deer with it doing 60mph and being an original Wisconsin car with the typical rust issues, it wasn't worth fixing.
I guess the real reason for the thread are the stripes I had painted on.  My current 73 is in the middle of getting a new coat of Viper Orange Pearl and I was considering a similar stripe design. (Not Color) and I was wondering what everyone thought of it?  Thanks :popcrn: :popcrn:

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

elacruze

I don't like either the colors or the stripe layout.

As my Aunt says, "Here's my opinion, feel free to disregard it"
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

71green go

ummm, no...looks kinda Starsky an Hutch on the Torino....sorry

mopar73

Quote from: 71green go on September 12, 2009, 08:46:04 AM
ummm, no...looks kinda Starsky an Hutch on the Torino....sorry
That's ok,  I think at the time Starsky an Hutch used to be one of my favorite shows and probably had some influence on the decision for the stripes for the car and the snorkal scoop.  The pic doesn't accuratly show the color, but it did grow on you after while :icon_smile_big: Keep the comments coming, I want it all.  Good, bad, or ugly! :popcrn:

elanmars

very 70s. If that's what you like and it gives you a nostalgic feeling because of your now deceased car you had back in high school, go for it. You can also maybe alter it a bit, go on youtube and search for clips of a movie called "Speedtrap", in the first few scenes, the main character is driving a 3rd Gen Charger with stripes not too dissimilar from yours (more in the Starsky and Hutch style though).
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

mopar73

Quote from: elanmars on September 12, 2009, 09:54:32 AM
very 70s. If that's what you like and it gives you a nostalgic feeling because of your now deceased car you had back in high school, go for it. You can also maybe alter it a bit, go on youtube and search for clips of a movie called "Speedtrap", in the first few scenes, the main character is driving a 3rd Gen Charger with stripes not too dissimilar from yours (more in the Starsky and Hutch style though).
found it, thanks.
theres some ok chase scene's in it, more than I think I've ever seen for a 3rd gen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1n8Upw6kk

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68coronetGLwannabe

I like it! Its different and thats what always catches my eye. Maybe I am stuck in the 70's and 80's, sure wish I could grow a mullet  :slap:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

RD

i kinda like it, but at the same time it doesnt accent the natural body lines of the car.  if you had the same car still and were going to redo the paint on it, i would say keep it for nostalgia reasons.. but since you are starting something new.. i would go with something more original and current.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

41husk

I don't think it  looks  :eek2: or  :drool5: but I am more of a purist.  I went with a stripe that could be found on a mopar rather than customize total, but that is what I like.  You obviously liked it at one time or you wouldn't have painted the first one that color or be asking the question on here.  It doesn't matter what you do!  Some people are gonna love it, some will hate it and some will be in the middle.  I think the real question should be do you like it?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

John_Kunkel

It'll go over big in the ghetto, just add dubs and you're in.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mikesbbody

Personally I would leave that one in the past.

mopar73

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 12, 2009, 04:07:19 PM

LMAO at that one :smilielol: :smilielol:  I guess when I did that at the time, besides Starsky and Hutch, there was in my hometown a 71 (I think) that was white with two different shades of blue on it that looked pretty wicked.  The stripes were a little different in that they started in  front like mine, but went over the roof behind the 3/4 top and I didn't want to do it exactly like his.  He also had a snorkel scoop.
I do like the stripes that came originally with this body style, but I guess that I don't want to be cookie cutter either :shruggy: oh the dilemma of what to do.  I guess that's the great part about this hobby is everyone can be different :icon_smile_big: Keep the comments coming, I like it

69bronzeT5

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 12, 2009, 04:07:19 PM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I agree....not my thing for sure. I'd let that paint job die :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mopar73

I guess thats what I get for a 700$ paintjob in 1988 :smilielol:

GN

b5blue

Paint it up! Show us what you have in mind.....I like different approaches/styles on cars, life is to short.  :cheers:

mikepmcs

It's your car. If you like it, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks.  :Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

magnum

Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

HDCharger

I prefer the more traditional stripes.  hey it's your car and you can always change it.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Brock Samson

Interesting, not particularly imaginitive IMO though I appreciate the back in the day factor,.. I'm sure with some thought a better idea could be achived. Thanks for posting that pic none the less..  :2thumbs:

mopar73

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 13, 2009, 01:26:35 PM
Interesting, not particularly imaginitive IMO though I appreciate the back in the day factor,.. I'm sure with some thought a better idea could be achived. Thanks for posting that pic none the less..  :2thumbs:
no problem :icon_smile_big:  It's kind of intersting to get everyones opinion on this thing.  Back when I had it painted, it got pretty much the same reactions as today, either love or hate, so I guess it wasn't necessarily a 70's or 80's thing its just more or less personal opinion anyway.

when I chose the colors of the stripes I think they just happened to be on the same page as the orange chip and me not being very color coordinated, thought they went ok together :smilielol:  I guess thats why my wife picks out all the colors in the house :icon_smile_big:
I found 1 more pic of my dad and me with the car when he came out to visit me while in the army.

Scaregrabber

Personally I'm not crazy about the stripes but they are cool because they are early 80's. My suggestion is if you go for them (and why not). Instead of painting them on, I would go to a graphics place and have them made with tape. That way if you get tired of them you can peel them off and you won't have a big bill repainting the car.

Sheldon

Foreman72

i dig it...also...speedtrap vids we're sick! :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat