News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do some wives hate project cars so much?

Started by Charger440RDN, September 11, 2009, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

I know this doesn't apply to ALL wives out there. But how many times have you brought a project car home without asking the wife her opinion and she gets pissed? Is it really about the money that was spent on the project or is she really worried that you will be in the garage paying more attention to the car than to her?  :lol:

nh_mopar_fan

Hasn't happened yet.

Last project I did, she dyed all the interior pieces herself.

69 OUR/TEA

Had 3 projects currently waiting,Labor day brought home project #4.My wife that I have been with now for 20 yrs(dated for 8,married for 12)knows the car hobby is in me,and is not going to change,doesn't really give me grief as she has seen me buy,restore,sell in the past years and does'nt fret over it as long as it never hurts the household funds(which it does'nt).By doing all the resto work myself and not having to farm anything out is where the difference is.If I had to pay to do everything,especially the paint/body,I would never be able to do it.,and therefore would'nt.As weird as this may sound,even if all my cars were done,other than the occaisional cruise night or car show,the rest of the time I think I would be bored and would want something else to do.I don't do fishing,hunting,golfing,sports,drinking,etc.I geuss what I am saying is I think I enjoy restoring them just as much as you guys that like to take them out for drives or show them.( that is my golf,fishing,etc!!)

jb666

My wife supports my GL project 100%, but that's very rare... A couple of my buddies tell me all the time that their wives would kill them... It's taking away from "their" money. As long as the bills are being paid my wife's cool!!

bull

In general it's not a good idea to just blow a bunch of money on something without telling your mate, unless the money has been set aside for such a thing. I'm sure most guys would be just as pissed if she spent $2,000 worth of household money on furniture without consulting them first. If it's money that's been set aside for a project car and she knows it and you both agreed to it then there's no reason for her to get angry.

69bronzeT5

My mom told my dad I'm turning into him, having a bunch of cars that don't run. Then again she only knows about the Charger and Duster. She dosen't know about the Coronet I'm getting for free :-\ However, she's into cars a bit. She used to have a '76 Trans Am 455 when she was younger. She mentioned last week she loves the body lines on 2nd Gen. Chargers (well '69s in particular).  :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

aussiemuscle

you make it sound like a rational, reasonable, well thought out relationship, bull, but many women aren't rational (that i know). Most of my friends had to give up their hobbies when they got married  :eyes: not just car stuff. almost makes me glad i didn't get married, almost.  :smilielol:

Daytona R/T SE

Her:  "WHAT in THE FU@& is THAT?"

Me: "Just another hunk of shit that you have to pay someone to haul off to the
crusher when I'm dead"...

"Now, get your POS car out of my garage and park it on the street."

"Then get your ass over here and help me push."

1969chargerrtse

Plain and simple, 100% true, it's always about money.  As long as money is flowing my wife could care less.  Recently with 3  kids and her not working ( though going to Nursing school ) things have been harder and she is watching the bills etc and making comments.  When times are good and money is flowing I could get a package a day from UPS and she says nothing.  It's all about money, and I understand that.  :'(  I'm just thrilled my car is 95% done and all the thousands I spent are behind me.  It's turn key ready.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ZSmithersCharges

Every time she gets mad at me for spending so much time on the car I make her come help me so she understands.  It keeps her quiet and helps her understand me more at the same time.  Shes actually getting into it, its kind of fun  :yesnod:

beware the sleeper

see that is why i am trying to marry my girlfriend, my only real passions in life are good movies (not indie movie snob good, just good) making music, and muscle cars, and she gets turned on by 2 of the 3... more depending on the movie.

bull

Quote from: aussiemuscle on September 11, 2009, 10:42:53 PM
you make it sound like a rational, reasonable, well thought out relationship, bull, but many women aren't rational (that i know). Most of my friends had to give up their hobbies when they got married  :eyes: not just car stuff. almost makes me glad i didn't get married, almost.  :smilielol:

Yes, this assumes you're not living with an idiot. If she agrees to the money being spent a certain way and yet she still gets pissed when it is spent that way then it's her problem. My wife is not an idiot but I knw that if I started spending more than the agreed-to amount, and it was cutting into our ability to cover the bills, there would be a problem.

TruckDriver

I lost 3 projects because of my ex wife. My '74 Rallye Charger 360 4spd car, My '69 Charger 383 4spd, & my '89 Ramcharger 4x4 360 4spd, 6in. lift 12.5x15 tires. AND, in '97, she told me to sell my owned '93 Freightliner (semi/business) or she would leave me. I did, and she still left me 5 years later :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

The70RT

Get a project and say it is hers and then get it done first  :D.... then start on yours. Get yours done and sell hers to fund another one and say it is for her again and it will be better  :laugh:

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on September 12, 2009, 08:47:16 AM
I lost 3 projects because of my ex wife. My '74 Rallye Charger 360 4spd car, My '69 Charger 383 4spd, & my '89 Ramcharger 4x4 360 4spd, 6in. lift 12.5x15 tires. AND, in '97, she told me to sell my owned '93 Freightliner (semi/business) or she would leave me. I did, and she still left me 5 years later :rotz:

Sorry to here that. Too late in the game for us....we been together 30 years.....she is use to all this now.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

elacruze

Quote from: The70RT on September 12, 2009, 08:50:13 AM
Get a project and say it is hers and then get it done first  :D.... then start on yours. Get yours done and sell hers to fund another one and say it is for her again and it will be better  :laugh:

My bodyman did that! He's got mine in the shop, his '70 'Cuda next to it, and bought a 65 Valiant for his wife...put both ours aside to finish/paint and swap a nice 360 in the V so she could make the Mopar Nationals in it. The 'Cuda stayed home...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

41husk

I would agree, time and money are the top reasons some wifes have problems with projects (mine included) I have had a few projects and I believe a lack of vision has much to do with it.  My wife can't invision the POS sitting in the garage finished with people drooling over it,  they just see junk!  Much like when she comes home with shopping bags full of wonderfull deals from the mall, I don't see wonderfull deals.  I see a few more weeks before I can order the needed parts for my project, now!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NHCharger

Being in the construction biz for 25 years my wife has seen many other people in construction go down in flames due to drugs, alcohol, gambling,etc.losing everything they own. Seems construction people are more prone to these problems. She knows that my car hobby keeps me somewhat sane and she knows I'm not blowing money at the bars.

Another plus side is the knowledge I've gained over the years working on my cars. Last weekend I replaced the brake calipers, rotors and pads on her Jeep Grand Cherokee. All the parts cost about $200.00. How much would that have cost at the dealership or garage.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 12, 2009, 07:24:35 AM
see that is why i am trying to marry my girlfriend, my only real passions in life are good movies (not indie movie snob good, just good) making music, and muscle cars, and she gets turned on by 2 of the 3... more depending on the movie.

we should crank out some tunes together  :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

My wife also appreciate me always beeing home on my sparetime busy with my projects instead of getting drunk at some bar
like I always did before. Ofcourse the household stuff has to be paid before moore parts are ordered. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

beware the sleeper

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 12, 2009, 02:52:47 PM

long as you dont care about commercially releasing em (shackled by a contract) i am totally there

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 14, 2009, 03:45:07 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 12, 2009, 02:52:47 PM

long as you dont care about commercially releasing em (shackled by a contract) i am totally there

Sounds good to me, as long as they throw in some chicken and possibly one of those plastic back scratchers

chargergirl

My guy used to date a chick that said she thought he would grow out of the muscle car stage...LMAO! She also stated he had to get rid of his dog and cat...like I said used to date. He and I both love muscle cars! I have been bit by the Mopar bug and love my 2nd anniversary gift...66 Charger. I supported him when it was just his race car being done. I also have the wonderful experience of having a man that pays the bills first and puts aside money in a separate account for the car. In this manner he knows what he has to work with to get the job done for house and car accounts. Common Sense! Used to be with someone that bought for himself and paid bills late...used to be. I can't live like that. It's all about balance...for those women that get jealous over a car...they would be jealous over everything in your life and that's abuse. I know where my man is and appreciate the OTHER WOMAN being a car. (For my dad it was electronics). I truly believe that when you honestly love someone you embrace what is important to them. You may not understand it, you may not even like the hobby, but you can respect it and share aspects of it. True love is not romantic it's real.
Trust your Woobie!

Back N Black

The money that i have invested in restoring my Charger is not from my regular income, so my wife pretty much leaves me alone.  :2thumbs:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Back N Black on September 14, 2009, 01:10:11 PM
The money that i have invested in restoring my Charger is not from my regular income, so my wife pretty much leaves me alone.  :2thumbs:

Drug dealer? lemme get an 8th  :lol:

PocketThunder

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 14, 2009, 04:04:41 PM
The money that i have invested in restoring my Charger is not from my regular income, so my wife pretty much leaves me alone.  :2thumbs:

No..  its called an Unlicensed Pharmacist.   :apimp:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 14, 2009, 04:39:47 PM

:scratchchin: If i'm gonna call him that he better have some of that medical grade then  :D

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 14, 2009, 04:47:06 PM

:scratchchin: If i'm gonna call him that he better have some of that medical grade then  :D

You mean the REALLY good stuff like Michael Jackson was on where you have your own IV pole and someone has to put you down and then bring you back up?  :smilielol: let's face it most street drugs are just childs play compared to what ol' wacko jacko was taking!  :smilielol: :lol:  :rofl:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Charger440RDN on September 14, 2009, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 14, 2009, 04:47:06 PM

You mean the REALLY good stuff like Michael Jackson was on where you have your own IV pole and someone has to put you down and then bring you back up?  :smilielol: let's face it most street drugs are just childs play compared to what ol' wacko jacko was taking!  :smilielol: :lol:  :rofl:

You got me pegged I want soma that   :icon_smile_tongue: As long as I can still work a sander and turn a wrench were good to go  :smilielol: Too bad I cant afford a personal doctor who just lives in my house... I mean seriously how f'd up is that... he was so strung out all the time he just decided screw going to the pharmacy for refills they can come to me  :lol:

BMOTOXSTAR

My Ol' Lady loves Chargers. She was really happy when I brought home the 73' Rallye Charger project.

So, I see this 74' Satellite survivor for sale & I say to myself , wow, what a great RR Clone it would make. So I bring it home and my wife says,"What the hell is that green turd you brought home?" I explain and she says, get rid of that damn thing, RR's suck and it will not even be a real RR, sell it and buy another Charger.
She hates the Satellite. She will not even ride in it.  :rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

No one sells 1/8's  anymore, put me down for an OZ. :2thumbs:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 14, 2009, 07:44:44 PM

No one sells 1/8's  anymore, put me down for an OZ. :2thumbs:

You gotta test the stuff man  :yesnod: If its good you put me down for a Q... jeez havent you ever gone to sams? Buying in bulk is cheapest  :lol:

bull

Quote from: chargergirl on September 14, 2009, 08:26:17 AM
My guy used to date a chick that said she thought he would grow out of the muscle car stage...LMAO! She also stated he had to get rid of his dog and cat...like I said used to date. He and I both love muscle cars! I have been bit by the Mopar bug and love my 2nd anniversary gift...66 Charger. I supported him when it was just his race car being done. I also have the wonderful experience of having a man that pays the bills first and puts aside money in a separate account for the car. In this manner he knows what he has to work with to get the job done for house and car accounts. Common Sense! Used to be with someone that bought for himself and paid bills late...used to be. I can't live like that. It's all about balance...for those women that get jealous over a car...they would be jealous over everything in your life and that's abuse. I know where my man is and appreciate the OTHER WOMAN being a car. (For my dad it was electronics). I truly believe that when you honestly love someone you embrace what is important to them. You may not understand it, you may not even like the hobby, but you can respect it and share aspects of it. True love is not romantic it's real.

Well said. Put in pespective it's a pretty innocent hobby but some people can screw anything up. As long as the priorities are straight there should never be a problem.

chargergirl

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 14, 2009, 07:42:37 PM
My Ol' Lady loves Chargers. She was really happy when I brought home the 73' Rallye Charger project.

So, I see this 74' Satellite survivor for sale & I say to myself , wow, what a great RR Clone it would make. So I bring it home and my wife says,"What the hell is that green turd you brought home?" I explain and she says, get rid of that damn thing, RR's suck and it will not even be a real RR, sell it and buy another Charger.
Well she did say she liked Chargers! Someone will want to trade!
Trust your Woobie!

451-74Charger

Mine isnt happy with me buying all the crap for my car, and said that this is the one I wanted, and im keeping it.
Well thats until i find a cheap Daytona....like thats going to happen !!

Anyway, last night she was fine about me going out and buying a brand new headliner from a guy nearby.
I got to chat with him about his 73 Charger as well :)

Magnumcharger

The money that i have invested in restoring my Charger is not from my regular income, so my wife pretty much leaves me alone.  :2thumbs:

Huh? What's your secret?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: chargergirl on September 15, 2009, 07:28:20 AM

I would love to trade the Satellite, any leads for me?
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

chargergirl

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 16, 2009, 07:25:10 AM
Quote from: chargergirl on September 15, 2009, 07:28:20 AM

I would love to trade the Satellite, any leads for me?
What year and model are you looking for...will put word out.
Trust your Woobie!