News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Colerain twp tried to take my charger

Started by riggs626, September 11, 2009, 04:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsakal

I work in code enforcement (in the construction end, not property maintenance), the code officer cannot enter your property without permission. But there is something called the plain view doctrine, and it is an exception to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement. Basically, if the alleged violation is observable from a place where any member of the public may be, the privacy interest of the owner must be considered insubstantial. Therefore, no warrant is required. But a warrant must be secured in order to search areas not in plain view. My suggestion is to move the car to an area not visible from the street, but also, not visible from your neighbor's second story window. That can be used as evidence.
Sorry I'm getting off track here, just trying to give you some advice...
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Troy

I'd like to know the exact statute that you violated? Obviously it wasn't enough to take the car since they did leave it. If it's a disabled vehicle then *usually* it's ok if it's off the street (and sometimes it needs to be registered to be safe). If it's an eyesore type of complaint then it's a bit harder to deal with since you'll need to hide it.

As for Democracy, most of these sorts of laws aren't voted on by the public - they're city or township ordinances that (most of) the public rarely even knows about.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ipstrategies

Troy I did not mean to get political.. You are right most people do not know about some of these laws that are passed until they come to enforce.
I believe in Personal Responsibility for all things, and any neighbor that will call someone about a car (or any other thing bothering them) in another persons drive without out talking to the neighbor first is not a good neighbor.

When the new neighbors moved in on the side where my parts car is parked. I went over welcomed them to the neighborhood and told them that the parts car is for my project in the garage. They were like no problem we do not care.

The guy across the street argues with his neighbor, police are there numerous times so they both build privacy fences 5 feet from each other, find out they both work together for county and hate each other.. why would you move next to a coworker you do not like?
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

MoparManJim

Quote from: Troy on September 11, 2009, 05:51:59 PM
Is the car on your property or in the street? You're very close to me by the way (I live just off Colerain Ave). I wasn't aware of any laws that would allow them to remove a vehicle from your property - at least not without some sort of warning. Some neighborhoods/townships have have their own rules though.

Troy

There is no such thing has it is your property, When you pay for it and you get the deed, you may think it is but it's not as you always have to pay taxes on that ground each year don't you not. If you bought it. You wouldn't pay taxes on it each year. You are only renting it.   

I think someone seen his charger covered up, and sense he lives where he does, they probably thought they could get a charger by doing the codes thing about the car setting out in view where everyone could see it. There is probably someone in his neighbor hood that are not into mopars or are jealous.

Troy

Quote from: MoparManJim on September 12, 2009, 12:28:08 PM
Is the car on your property or in the street? You're very close to me by the way (I live just off Colerain Ave). I wasn't aware of any laws that would allow them to remove a vehicle from your property - at least not without some sort of warning. Some neighborhoods/townships have have their own rules though.

Troy

There is no such thing has it is your property, When you pay for it and you get the deed, you may think it is but it's not as you always have to pay taxes on that ground each year don't you not. If you bought it. You wouldn't pay taxes on it each year. You are only renting it.   

I think someone seen his charger covered up, and sense he lives where he does, they probably thought they could get a charger by doing the codes thing about the car setting out in view where everyone could see it. There is probably someone in his neighbor hood that are not into mopars or are jealous.
You pay taxes on nearly everything you buy - that doesn't mean you don't own it. You may be under various jurisdictions that have various rules and fees but it's still your property.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Troy on September 12, 2009, 12:53:53 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on September 12, 2009, 12:28:08 PM

Troy

I think someone seen his charger covered up, and sense he lives where he does, they probably thought they could get a charger by doing the codes thing about the car setting out in view where everyone could see it. There is probably someone in his neighbor hood that are not into mo pars or are jealous.
You pay taxes on nearly everything you buy - that doesn't mean you don't own it. You may be under various jurisdictions that have various rules and fees but it's still your property.

Troy

Well, leave it go 3 years and see what happens then. It will almost be no longer your property but you have a deed to it though. When you pay taxes on something, you only pay once and that's it and then it's yours.  If it was really your property then you wouldn't be paying fees each year. 

riggs626

I wish I could move it in the back yard, Back in june I called the enforcement people to check on the codes and they said as long as its under a car cover no problem now they are saying its a problem Im moving as soon as I can wish I could just donate the property to a church so they wont get anymore income from it but thats not reality. If they would let me put a garage up in the back yard or hell a shed big enough to hold the car I would do so in a heart beat, But they say that will bring down property values not like living with a major interstate in my backyard helps anyways maybe I should just call in noise complaints about the highway each week

hemi-hampton

I got a 8 foot tall privacy fence & still constantly get harrassed about anything & everything. If I got a garbage bag on back porch & not in close lidded garbage can then I'll get a ticket for harboring Rats. Any car hiding in backyard not visable from street & not up to date plated I got a 7 day warning to remove or it gets towed. I then find out the city has a 24/7 remain annonymous/confidential blight hot line & suspect my Chuch going  goody too shoe Leave it Beaver Neighbors keep calling :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :icon_smile_angry: In another city everybody parks on side of street since all the subdivision driveways are very short & small. All Legal. But if you do not move your car every 48 hours it can be considered abandoned & towed. :brickwall: :brickwall: LEON.

RD

sorry for everyone's plight here, but hearing/seeing all of these issues makes me very GLAD TO LIVE IN KANSAS!!! 
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

I got a pesky house on my block... five houses up the hill other side, they have a problem with my RV which is five houses down the block my side where there are three consecutive parking spots in a row not associated with any particular house, they have called the 24 Hr. Annon. tip line twice complaining about my RV. as a result I got a large "WARNING" sign attacted to my RV saying it would be towed since it had been abandoned there, NOT! (I move it twice a week)
I know who is responsible for these shinanigans, they moved in two years ago and think they are the parking police... even printed up these little "You are parked illegally" flyers that are suppose to look official and the Dept. Of Traffic Meter maids laughed at.
I did recognise the one guy as Grand Marshall of the Gay Parade though...  :smilielol:
  (I saw him on TV)  :shruggy:

greenpigs

I think not having plates on it is your biggest issue. Try and get that salvage title ASAP. As a fellow Ohioan I understand the crap they let townships get away with.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

The70RT

Quote from: RD on September 12, 2009, 08:29:38 PM
sorry for everyone's plight here, but hearing/seeing all of these issues makes me very GLAD TO LIVE IN KANSAS!!! 

Maybe in a rural area but here in the city they have stupid ordinances like everyone else. It was so bad for me at one time I decided to give them a taste of their own medicine. I had three old vehicles and they told me to move them. I did so in 30 days like they asked. I went to the public police auction the next week and bought 3 more  :D Yeah they came out asap. They said what's up, you just got rid of three now you got three more? I said that's funny, I can buy cars from the city but I cant have them? They say what do you mean....so I told them where I got them and said they never asked where I lived they just took my MONEY! They were like  :flame:  I said I have the receipts and they said they will send my paper work out in 30 days or so.......then I have 30 days to register them....so SEE YA In a couple months! :icon_smile_big: I also kept expired tags on some that I kept longer and just fabbed different year stickers on them and they never caught on to it.......and I still do that.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

riggs626

you know I may do that Im gonna move the charger a month and get it plated then bring it back. Most of my neighbors all come down when I work on and have nothing but good things to say even the chevy guy came down and complimented me!

c00nhunterjoe

i had the same problem when i moved from maryland to pennsylvania. community association said no tag=no car. and the charger was too long to fit in the garage. then to top it off pa would not give me tags because the car was not "origonal" (general lee paint) so my trophy winning charger got ruined to get tags since the community had a tow truck at the house trying to take it to the junkyard and actually crush it same day!

RD

Quote from: The70RT on September 12, 2009, 09:19:47 PM
Quote from: RD on September 12, 2009, 08:29:38 PM

Maybe in a rural area but here in the city they have stupid ordinances like everyone else. ...

not my fault your a CITY SLICKER!!! :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

MoparManJim

Maybe you should put a reward out of $$ to who ever can tell you on did that on you. Remember when asking, you don't get no where, but when $$ is involved  :scratchchin: . Maybe you can return the fav to that person.

Big_John

We had our local code enforcement officer come to the door a couple times. Seems a neighbor complained that we were running a "used car lot" in my driveway. Yea... right...

At the time I had my two sons and my step son living here (3 cars) and my two other step kids (2 cars) were visiting regularly. With my wife's car, my company car and my own car sitting out there could be up to 8 cars sitting in the driveway on the weekends and 6 cars during the week.

He was really nice about it and actually apologised the second time before saying anything. The last time I showed a valid registration for every vehicle at the place including the car trailer (which he hadn't asked about). He said that would take care of it as far as he was concerned. He told me we could have one unlicensed vehicle on the property and that wouldn't be a problem. As he was leaving, I very nicely informed him that I would always cooperate, but we would be involving my lawyer on the next visit. He thought about that for a second and said he wouldn't be bothering me again, shook my hand and left.

The one thing that really fried me was he said he couldn't tell me which neighbor had complained but did say it was not my adjacent neighbors.

tricky lugnuts

Yeah, if you're finding out about someone's complaint against you by having a code enforcement officer come to your door, it could be tough to find out who really filed the initial complaint.

If you go to the code office, here it's the city engineer's office or county engineer's office, there should be some sort of record of the complaint being filed. Otherwise, how do you know they're not just making it up, etc.

A lot of times though, people will call their city councilman who will file the complaint on their behalf, so that their own name doesn't have to be involved. Just saying. (I cover city government here in Marietta, OH). On a side note, got to love the councilman who files the complaint on the behalf of one constituent against another constituent without checking into the situation first... Or writes such restrictive ordinances in the first place.

Unrelated - our council is actually considering a noise ordinance that would limit all sounds to less than 90 decibels. It would equip the PD with decibel meters so that they could just drive and around and easily see if you're being too loud. Of course, all government and government sanctioned activities will be exempt.

Sounds to me like this topic - despite all of the regular grumblings against state and federal government Idiocracy - is a testament to how local government can be the one that really screws you over on a day to day basis. Remember to vote - even at the local level.  :2thumbs:

beware the sleeper

Yeah I think I am just gonna get my adjacent neighbors (who on one side is a really awesome old italian couple, and on the other is a couple who like the kareoke and the partying, not my thing but *shrug*) to start spreading rumors that im serial killer kind of psycho.  Thatll make em think twice, haha.

(totally a nice guy, and I value life, for the record)

451-74Charger

I have a similar Ordinance in Kentucky.
I get letters all the time
If its not insured, or inoperable it HAS to be placed in a garage with 4 walls and a roof. (no exceptions)
I have to keep all my cars tagged and insured just to let them sit there

PocketThunder

Can you add onto the back of your garage?  It wouldn't cost too much to punch out the back wall and go another 4~6 feet or so.  Or is there living space behind the garages back wall?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

451-74Charger

or just give me the Charger, and ill get you a Prissy Prius so you can fit in with the neighbours

devilgear

To be honest I wish they would do the noise ordanance around here.Now alot of people in my neighborhood have muscle cars, but that aint the problem...The local teen punks all feel the need to drive pickups with jacked up suspention and I swear no exaust.They all are F'n too loud.Now I'm no prude, but I have small kids and I don't need these dopes reving at 10pm.Oh and I have a whole slew of the little rice chuggers down the street too...Oh well I'm still louder when I fire up the Charger...

HemiTom

Well my Charger is sitting at my place of work waiting to be restored. I do not have a garage just yet. its in the works...

I live in a house owned by my in-laws.they bought it from a forclosure a few years back.the previous owners live in a little shack basically in our back yard. now their driveway is actually ours and is on our property that we cannot use. now they have two abandoned cars in the driveway that is on our property.the county has been contacted many times about it and nothing has been done. now before we move in this house we owned another a few miles away...our neighbor(a local builder) bought the lot next door  and started using my yard as a right of way into his property...so i decided to place 3 of my untagged/registered car in that location to prevent him for doing so...well i got the PD called and they told him to file  the complaint with the county...well a few days later i got a letter in the mail that was giving me 10 days to remove the cars from the property or they would tow them at my expense...well we were moving anyway so i move them up to the house where i live now...

back to our lovely neighbors here. I'm sure they have been contacted a few times...its been over a year and a half...guess what??? the cars are still sitting in the same place they were then. If I knew then what i know now i would have just keep the cars where i had them to keep our builder friend from cutting in my yard.

now our current neighbors are being sued my my in-laws to regain use of our driveway/yard. and removal of the two junkers(early 80 Jag XJ6 and 80'cutlass supreme)

The70RT

The last time the city code came out they said they had a complaint that I was working on cars.....DUH! I have two garages....whata ya think im doing? They said your set up like a shop and asked if all these cars were mine. I said yep. Then they said I couldn't have friends or relatives over working on theirs either. It all boiled down to my next door neighbor was a big cry baby and he eventually moved. I have had several people buy and rent on both sides of me in the last 16 years......they last a couple years. Now when people look at either house when I am around I tell them if they don't like my noise from working on my cars don't move in!!!
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us