News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are some 68-69 front bumper guards short and some taller???

Started by no318, September 10, 2009, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no318

:shruggy:
I have never known why there were 2 different styles or how to know which it correct for a particular car?  Is that a build sheet thing?  Thanks.

Brock Samson

What i have understood was that mid yr. '69 they went with a different vendor to resupply the guards and for whatever reason (more protection is likely seeing as how the center I piece is pretty vulnerable) they grew an inch
but don't quote me,.. seems to me most every larger set of bumperettes I've seen has been on an S.E. (special Edition).  :shruggy:
I think Chris would have some indication of this from his extensive photo collection... my car a last wk. of 1969 production S.E. had them when i bought it in '84. when i wrecked my front clip it took me over a yr to find a decent pair to repair my front with, of course that was '99 before i found the original D-C.com site in '02.
in those days it was junk yards and want ads and rumors of parts cars.
And i had to walk to school two miles in the snow also...  :D

Ghoste

I have always been told it was just a mid year change without any seeming rhyme or reason?  :shruggy:

TylerCharger69

I think I have the taller ones....but don't hold me to that...I've never had the opportunity to see both side by side....

Ghoste

Blown70

I have the taller ones on LUCI, dont know the date of production and she is a 69 318, console, auto car.  Could it be related to the production plant or as stated a vendor?

Tom

THREAD WITH BOTH STYLES (for those who dont know)  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12197.0.html

694spdRT

My '69 had the taller ones and it was a very late build date car. As far as I know it is just a mid year change that and not part of a package. I have the smaller ones on the car because I like the look better.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

LeesRT

Road Dog

I thought the taller ones were a deluxe front bumper guard option. :shruggy: 
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Brock Samson

not an option, unless it was figured as such as part of the Special Edition package... Seems alot of the follow on S.E.s benifited from "Deluxe" trim... look at all the extra stuff that came on the Chally S.E. in '70, (my personal favorites being the small rear window overhead light indicators and the textured finished rear facia),.. but General Lee I'gve seen the Higher Bumperettes on Special Editions" in '69. I much prefer that look myself..  :drool5:
Maybe a poll of '69 owners with their fender tag build dates would clear it up...  :shruggy:
Do any SEs not have them?.. beyond those that swapped em out for the shorter ones of course...

Blown70

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 11, 2009, 10:21:12 AM
not an option, unless it was figured as such as part of the Special Edition package... Seems alot of the follow on S.E.s benifited from "Deluxe" trim... look at all the extra stuff that came on the Chally S.E. in '70, (my personal favorites being the small rear window overhead light indicators and the textured finished rear facia),.. but General Lee I'gve seen the Higher Bumperettes on Special Editions" in '69. I much prefer that look myself..  :drool5:
Maybe a poll of '69 owners with their fender tag build dates would clear it up...  :shruggy:
Do any SEs not have them?.. beyond those that swapped em out for the shorter ones of course...

What info would you like, I do have my fender tag and build.?  Seems my car other than rims is mostly original..... slight interior change with the seat covers.

hemigeno

This was just a mid-year parts changeover issue.  I found some documentation which shows the new tall guard part number was incorporated into the engineering graphics on November 12, 1968.  That doesn't mean every car made after that date should have the taller guards.  Each plant would have used up their supply of the 2856662 short guards (which aren't handed L/R incidentally) and would only have started using the new/taller 2931252-3 guards afterwards.

My late January-built St. Louis car still had short guards, FWIW.

:Twocents:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: i don't think my seat cover is original either..  :shruggy:

Neal_J

Mine is a late build (Juny 1969) with the tall guards.

Mine, unfortunately, does not have the highly-coveted but rarely-seen DeLuxe Tiger Stripe Driver's Seat and Wooden Door Button option.   Those are cool!~

Blown70

dkn1997

RECHRGED

bmoparmofo

69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

y3chargerrt

Does anyone else think the taller bumper guards look fugly?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 11, 2009, 04:29:48 PM
Does anyone else think the taller bumper guards look fugly?
Yes thats why I changed mine out...4/30/69 SPD

:wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mally69

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 11, 2009, 01:48:34 PM
who needs bumper guards?

I kinda like the look of not having any  :scratchchin: gave me an idea for my 68 maybe.

resq302

My charger has a SPO date of May 9, 1969 and it has the tall style to it.  Actually, I prefer the taller ones over the smaller ones for some reason.  To me, they look better on the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

472 R/T SE

My buddy was doing semi-restoration on his '70 and showed me his new guards.  He was all proud of them. 
I told them someone pulled a fast one on him & that they were off a pick up truck.  Guess not.

Ghoste

I don't habe the date in front of me at the moment (I will find it) but it was post January 1969 and it had the short guards.

Hemidog

I've seen lots of guys that removed the guards, like Mikes' MrAngry.
Mostly 68's...
I like it!

dkn1997

Quote from: Hemidog on September 12, 2009, 03:40:48 AM
I've seen lots of guys that removed the guards, like Mikes' MrAngry.
Mostly 68's...
I like it!

I don't have the rear ones either. I think it looks cleaner.... what a big bullshitter I am!  I just ran out of rechroming money during the my first restifiaction and I lucked out because it looks way better without 'em..
RECHRGED