News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the dumbest or silliest thing anyone ever said about your Charger?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, September 10, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vainglory, Esq.

"Cool, man!  I had one of those back in '68!"

Ummmm, no ya didn't.

chargerjy9

comment from some one looking at my 73 SE. "hey, is that a Monte Carlo?"  UGHHH.....
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

hemi68charger

Pulled into the neighborhood Shell gas station and a young dude, about 21 or 22 I guess, gesters to my Daytona and says, "Nice Camaro Sir"....... "What? Camaro? Seriously?".......................  I graciously corrected the errors of his ways......  I guess they have to learn at some point in their young little lives...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

The most common question I get is, "What year is that??"

Meanwhile, they're standing at the front of the car with this license plate staring at them like a giant billboard. I have one of these repro plates on the front of ALL my cars, yet it seems to be the most common question.  ::)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on December 01, 2011, 07:54:40 AM

Meanwhile, they're standing at the front of the car with this license plate staring at them like a giant billboard. I have one of these repro plates on the front of ALL my cars, yet it seems to be the most common question.  ::)

I get that a lot too Bill.  Especially the gas attendant guys who I REFUSE to let pump gas into my car.  Like you said, they are looking at the front of the car and in big black numbers with silver background is the year.  I walk up to the front of the car and look at the plate and tell him.... "Yup. Its still a 1969."    :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BananaDan

In the first week I owned the car, my neighbor walks over and says "Nice goat!".   :pity:

But nowadays that she's done and back out and about, I agree that the most common question I'm asked is "What year is it?".
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on December 01, 2011, 12:05:23 PM

I get that a lot too Bill.  Especially the gas attendant guys who I REFUSE to let pump gas into my car.  Like you said, they are looking at the front of the car and in big black numbers with silver background is the year.  I walk up to the front of the car and look at the plate and tell him.... "Yup. Its still a 1969."    :lol:

Seems like EVERY time I get gas (and this just happened over the weekend while filling the '69), I pull up to the pump & before I can even get out of the car the attendant is grabbing the flip-top fuel cap & trying to TWIST it off!  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
"Step AWAY from the car dipweed, I got it, I got it."  :RantExplode:

We need the self-serve gas laws passed here in NJ.  :yesnod:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BananaDan

I just remembered a few others.  Lots of people ask if it's a Challenger, or say "Nice Challenger."  I also had a guy sitting on a bench near my car at a cruise night this year tell his wife that my R/T door scoops were aftermarket, not original.  Yes, I got them at Walmart you dope.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

chargd72

Quote from: BananaDan on December 01, 2011, 12:16:22 PM
I just remembered a few others.  Lots of people ask if it's a Challenger, or say "Nice Challenger."  I also had a guy sitting on a bench near my car at a cruise night this year tell his wife that my R/T door scoops were aftermarket, not original.  Yes, I got them at Walmart you dope.

Yup, had the garage door open the other day and someone stopped out front and asked if my Challenger was for sale.  Then he continued to tell me that he has always loved challengers and that he couldn't wait to get another one.  If I loved a car that much I think I would at least be able to get the model correct.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on December 01, 2011, 12:12:37 PM
Quote from: resq302 on December 01, 2011, 12:05:23 PM

Seems like EVERY time I get gas (and this just happened over the weekend while filling the '69), I pull up to the pump & before I can even get out of the car the attendant is grabbing the flip-top fuel cap & trying to TWIST it off!  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
"Step AWAY from the car dipweed, I got it, I got it."  :RantExplode:

We need the self-serve gas laws passed here in NJ.  :yesnod:

I agree Bill.  I had a guy try to "flip up" my cap from the outer edge of the ring!  Told the guy that if he broke my $300 gas cap, he would be paying for it. His comment back to me was "Well if you damage my gas nozzle, it costs $300 also."   Um...yeh right pal!  Like I have a chance of breaking something that I know how to use already.

Stupid thing about the law in NJ is that I can pump gas into the police cars for the guys where I work and pump diesel into the fire truck for my volunteer fire dept, yet I can't pump my own gas at a station?  Since the law is in NJ that you can not self serve, I wonder why they don't enforce the law at gas stations where it says "when pumping fuel, do not leave pump unattended" yet there is one attendant for 12 pumps at the Hess station I go to! :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Iron Chef

I get that too...or the Mensa member who's looking at the hood and asks "What size engine does it have?"

"Oh it's a 572 Chevy.  383 Magnum is the size of the gun in my pants."  ::)
Most of your life should be "off the record."

bill440rt

Quote from: BananaDan on December 01, 2011, 12:16:22 PM

I remember that night! That was classic!!  :rofl: :smilielol:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

71ChallengeHer

I get nice Charger a lot.  :shruggy:  One time a guy said nice Cuda. I replied it's a Challenger. He said I knew that. Really ?

64dartgt

Once I took my 64 dart to a Valvoline for an oil change.  One of the guys was dying to drive it out of the bay.  He hopped in the car...looked...looked...finally found the key in the dash...started the car...looked...looked...looked really puzzled...then I pointed at the push buttons  :icon_smile_big:

G-man

The dumbest thing I ever heard was a guy turned up with a BMW worth 100,000 and said "would you take 20,000 for your charger, that's all I can afford" (after the fact there was over 45,000 in the car)

The reply was "No, make it 35,000 and its yours"

And the reply was "look man, you need to sell it, you cant keep it, I can go tomorrow to this other place and get one for 20,000"

I replied "Sure, let me know whether it costs you another 40 or 50 000 to fix"

He replied "If you do not sell it to me, I will never call you again after I leave, it is your fault if you are stuck with it and nowhere to store it"

I replied "No problem, I will take that risk"

24 hours later....

"Do you still have the Charger for sale? I am still offering you 20,000, I had a mustang that I sold for 20,000 and it cost me more"

I replied "Mustangs are not worth what Dodges are, if you cant afford 35 000, then you clearly can not afford a Mopar, so go look at mustangs again"

That was the end of that situation.

Dino

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 30, 2011, 11:29:25 PM
"Cool, man!  I had one of those back in '68!"

Ummmm, no ya didn't.

Woah that looks awesome!

I hadn't seen pics of your car since you had it painted.  What color is that and what size rear tires do you have on there?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Haven't had too many dumb or silly comments, but it's still early!

One lady asked me if those small lights were the headlights, pointing at the parking lights.  She felt embarrassed knowing she was likely wrong so I politely told her that they're behind the grill and the doors actually go up when you turn the lights on.  She said she wondered if the lights were there but didn't want to assume it was that complicated.  I guess Dodge did hit the ball on that one, pretty sweet design still.

I get mostly good comments, lots of thumbs up.  Some kid asked me if he could take some pictures while at the gas station.  He added he wouldn't take any shots of the rear with the plate visible.  I respect that so I told him I'd quickly remove the plate since it's only two screws so he could take a few shots.  If they're nice to me I'll return the favor.  Kid was very happy.

First time I was out with the car some guy said I had an awesome Challenger R/T, it's neither but since it does have the R/T stripe I'll give him that.

The contractor who did my driveway looked it over for 20 minutes and said I have been looking for one recently and found a few but I like this one and offered me $10K more than I paid for it, I only had it a few weeks.  I told him I wouldn't sell it and that he can find them for less than he's offering.  He was tired of looking and finding cars than needed a lot more work then was advertised.  I think we can all relate to that.

I've had the 440 hemi comment but honestly uou can't expect people to know every little detail about these like most of us do.  There's dumb comments and there's outright annoying and insulting comments, haven't had the latter yet.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

I have a guy at work thats bugging me all the time to sell him the charger. I finally told him a couple of weeks ago what it was appraised for and he said " i figured it was worth 10-12 K". I said that will cover the cost of body and paint, So he stopped asking.

BananaDan

Quote from: resq302 on December 01, 2011, 01:46:10 PM
Stupid thing about the law in NJ is that I can pump gas into the police cars for the guys where I work and pump diesel into the fire truck for my volunteer fire dept, yet I can't pump my own gas at a station?  Since the law is in NJ that you can not self serve, I wonder why they don't enforce the law at gas stations where it says "when pumping fuel, do not leave pump unattended" yet there is one attendant for 12 pumps at the Hess station I go to! :scratchchin:

I've never had a problem with gas stations letting me pump gas for the Charger in NJ.  Most of the time when I tell them I'm going to pump the gas, they say good because they don't want to risk messing up my car.  Then they chat about cars with me while I fill her up.

dstryr

How 'bout, "What engine does that thing GOT?" :rotz:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

mysil bergsprekken

What is the gas milage??, seems to be the everlasting never ending commet wherever I go!

I've started to say: 46 miles to the gallon! (and kept a straight face and not giving in and telling them it is a joke).

And if they keep resisting the statement; keep on falsely proving the fact saying: "I've tuned in the carburetor just right to get a more economical mixture", and "I've put in an overdrive, 4th gear is now a 0,55:1".

Just don't budge!
69 charger RT

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on December 02, 2011, 07:48:48 PM
What is the gas milage??, seems to be the everlasting never ending commet wherever I go!

I've started to say: 46 miles to the gallon! (and kept a straight face and not giving in and telling them it is a joke).

And if they keep resisting the statement; keep on falsely proving the fact saying: "I've tuned in the carburetor just right to get a more economical mixture", and "I've put in an overdrive, 4th gear is now a 0,55:1".

Just don't budge!

Good plan.  I'm going to use this.