News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those that like SUPER CARS

Started by Blown70, September 09, 2009, 10:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

And may the guy just likes cars?  His money to play with.... and or help other if he chooses..... not everyone can be you bull. :D

Mr.Woolery

I can understand your position about motives, Bull, and that helps to clarify your position...

Perhaps it'd help if one were to look at the $1.6M purchase as a matter of scale instead.  A long time ago I had an acquaintance that happened to be a multi-billionaire.  I remember visiting his home and seeing his stuff, how he lived, etc.  One of the things that really hit home for me was how much his home was like mine, despite the astronomical price differentials of the material items we owned.  He had a garage full of "junk" just like I did, it was just more valuable stuff.  He also had several Ferrari's, Porsches, Mercedes, Rolls Royce's, etc. in his garage...at the time I knew him, he was driving a new Ferrari Testarossa as a beater car.  He was also somewhat of a slob (like myself) and he had stuff lying around/treated like just "stuff" that was *extremely* valuable.  For example:  in his room, he had pictures stacked against the wall like you or I would stack unhung posters.  I rifled through the stack out of curiousity....I spotted original works by Picasso and Van Gogh in the stack.  Seriously.

It's all just a matter of scale.  To someone who has this kind of money, $1.6M would have the comparitive monetary impact of you or I going out and buying a rusted out Geo Metro with bald tires and a blown head gasket.  It's not a matter of having a mindset of needing anyone's approval.  It's just a matter of buying the best that's available with very little (or no) regard for the monetary cost involved.

Funny thing is, that guy still owes me $10.  :smilielol:
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Troy

You know what they say about assumptions...

My current boss happens to have a 6 car garage that's double stacked. Next to the Murcielago, Viper, and CTS-V is a 58 Corvette in pieces while he rebuilds the engine himself. He has a passion for cars and can afford whatever he wants with no regrets - or the need to explain himself.

Then there are people with money but no style who will buy whatever is the most outrageous. Hardly anyone with a "supercar" will ever test the limits of it - and when they do there will likely be a You Tube video of the crash. I think Bull has a Charger to overcompensate for his minivan. ;)

I actually think that car (McLaren) looks a lot better than most of the exotics these days (Veyron, Enzo, that Bugatti).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

No, I replaced the minivan with a Durango like 3 years ago and they gave me my Man Card back at that time. :icon_smile_wink:

I agree, Mr. Woolery, it's all relative. That's why I'm trying to distinguish between those who just buy things because they can and those who buy things to compensate for some screwy psychosis they have because they got pulled off the nipple too early in life :baby:.

Blown70

Quote from: bull on September 11, 2009, 05:22:47 PM
No, I replaced the minivan with a Durango like 3 years ago and they gave me my Man Card back at that time. :icon_smile_wink:

I agree, Mr. Woolery, it's all relative. That's why I'm trying to distinguish between those who just buy things because they can and those who buy things to compensate for some screwy psychosis they have because they got pulled off the nipple too early in life :baby:.

Bull, I agree some people do thing for psychological reason.  However, some just like cars they are enthusiasts, connoisseurs, just like we are with the Chargers we own....Good job on the Durango..... :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

here's the latest Ferrari...

better start saving your aluminum cans..  :lol:

http://jalopnik.com/5356725/ferrari-458-italia-live-and-in-the-flesh/gallery?selectedImage=3

and yur boss needs to trade in his old beater on theis 'er new one...

( only $1.75 million)

http://jalopnik.com/5356502/lamborghini-reventon-roadster-20-lucky-oil-sheiks-rejoice/gallery/

beware the sleeper

with all due respect to the opinions stated......<explative deleted> alllllllllll that

I had 30 dollars to my name today, and I took a buddy out to dinner, so now i have 17 dollars to my name.  I am just illustrating the type of guy I am about money, that being said, the second I can afford a charger, I am gonna buy one, and then I am gonna make that thing look and run brand new, and if anyone tries to guilt trip me about it, they suck my tail pipe, I earn my money, I spend it how the hell I want.  I was homeless before, I never begged, not once, I had to clean a kitchen for a place to sleep at night till I could find a job, real talk.  I mean helpin out people who physically cant support themselves, or mentally cant function is one thing, but charity has WAY too much fat that needs to be trimmed in all sectors, when I see money getting asked and then huge ass balls and dinners thrown to get more money......its <explative deleted> and wasteful.  So <explative deleted> organizations, <explative deleted> lazy <explative deleted> beggars, and <explative deleted> pandering to them.  If you work hard and restore your dream car, thats not something to feel bad about ever, notice you worked for it, the fact that other people dont work as hard as you isnt your burden, its theres, and giving them charity only keeps them weak, and honestly, when i do finally have a bad ass charger, I am just gonna sit in it, and rev it whenever "those people" try to say stuff and then take off in a blur of smoke and awesome.

again, just my opinion, but I have been there, so I feel I know what I am talking about.

edit: explatives deleted due to requests

chargergirl

oohmm, oohmm, oohmm...life is too short to carry so much anger. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger". (Don't know who said). A friend once told me that I developed my sense of humor because of the stressors I've been through in my life...probably. It's a car...it is simply a car...albeit a high end one and I would accept one if it was given to me. Would I buy one...no...when we win the lottery, tax on those bad a math, we will be buying a helo...flying would be more fun than the tickets I would get in something like that. No Autobahn here if we did have one that would be WAY different!
Trust your Woobie!

Brock Samson

I remember several years athere was a guy here in the US who owned a huge stable of MOPAR muscle and if i recall correctly sold them all and went to some third world country to help the poor...

aussiemuscle

Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 14, 2009, 04:13:05 AM
I had 30 dollars to my name today, and I took a buddy out to dinner, so now i have 17 dollars to my name. 
again, just my opinion, but I have been there, so I feel I know what I am talking about.
so you're saying it's hard to be rich AND generous  :smilielol:

as for the ot, the MP4-12C looks to take a few styling cues from the ferrari 430.

Mike DC

Most of the guys who can afford to buy those cars will rarely ever spend a day of their lives in a rural enough area to actually test it out.  

The whole concept of the exotic car is a bit of a James-Bond-ish anachronism these days.  Anyone with REAL money is using private planes & limos a lot more of the time anyway.

FJ5WING

just wondering why "BULL" has any reason to care what anyone elses motives are?

not your money.............not your possession!

wingless now, but still around.

beware the sleeper

hahaha, yeah, i guess that post did come off angry, wasnt angry at all though

was just talking plain, at 4am tho i forget to backspace out the <explative deleted> in my sentences though, haha.

I know i know, I try to cool it with the cursing but eh.

nah my point was, if i work for something, and then someone tries to tell me i shouldnt have it, my first gut reaction is to hit em in the nose, I wouldn't, but its that level of mind your own biz.

edit: censored

chargergirl

Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 16, 2009, 07:40:00 AM

was just talking plain, at 4am tho i forget to backspace out the <explative deleted> in my sentences though, haha.

nah my point was, if i work for something, and then someone tries to tell me i shouldnt have it, my first gut reaction is to hit em in the nose, I wouldn't, but its that level of mind your own biz.

Remember one thing...the F word is NOT a comma! My boys used to chuckle when I had to tell one of the new kids that. Something I find fun is to let the person who thinks I shouldn't have something tell me why. I end with, "I really appreciate your input however since it's not yours you shouldn't stress yourself about it. Didn't realize my welfare meant that much to you...thanks". (Really interested and kind voice). They stand there like a dear in the headlights since they were trying to get your goat and it got put back on them. Works every time. They are still trying to figure out whether they were insulted or complimented...while this is going on leave their space. Remember I had to deal with Mr. Mopar at Garlits...it was "Good thoughts" day.
Trust your Woobie!

beware the sleeper

Quote from: chargergirl on September 21, 2009, 07:47:53 AM
Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 16, 2009, 07:40:00 AM

Remember one thing...the F word is NOT a comma! My boys used to chuckle when I had to tell one of the new kids that. Something I find fun is to let the person who thinks I shouldn't have something tell me why. I end with, "I really appreciate your input however since it's not yours you shouldn't stress yourself about it. Didn't realize my welfare meant that much to you...thanks". (Really interested and kind voice). They stand there like a dear in the headlights since they were trying to get your goat and it got put back on them. Works every time. They are still trying to figure out whether they were insulted or complimented...while this is going on leave their space. Remember I had to deal with Mr. Mopar at Garlits...it was "Good thoughts" day.

ok, i got asked to censor my posts, i wasnt very happy about it, but i did it cause we are all tryna vibe and get along and what not, but i think you posting all passive agressive about me being expressive with something I fealt very emphatic is WAY MORE offensive and off putting than me dropping some f-bombs, because you are intentionally targeting me and being condescending as hell, which I dont appreciate at all.   and for the record, im not one of your boys, and i dont need some stupid down home stories about how you are right, cause you are wrong, censorship is wrong, and its retarded to think that anyone who can get to this site hasnt heard atleast ten thousand f-bombs before they ever got to mine, the f-bomb will out live us all, everyone but you seemed to adapt and live with it.  why dont you just drop it and walk away seeing as allready edited them, and i allready let one of your snarky ass comments pass before this in the same damn thread.

chargergirl

Thanks for your input I will take that under consideration.
Trust your Woobie!

Blown70

WOW and all I wanted to do was post a pic of the New Mclaren.... :rotz: :shruggy: :slap:

beware the sleeper

Quote from: Blown70 on September 23, 2009, 09:35:40 AM
WOW and all I wanted to do was post a pic of the New Mclaren.... :rotz: :shruggy: :slap:

well i mean, you did

so...... :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

once i posted pics of italian supercars - alot of ferraris and Alphas and a couple folks made disparaging remarks, that wasn't you was it?..  :lol:

Blown70

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 23, 2009, 01:16:27 PM
  once i posted pics of italian supercars - alot of ferraris and Alphas and a couple folks made disparaging remarks, that wasn't you was it?..  :lol:

Dont think so, I do somewhat like them,,, however, from 2005 to now, who knows what I have posted..... :shruggy:

Arthu®

As some of you know I happen to like these so called super cars so here is my opinion (like anybody cares haha)

The McLaren is probably very well built, but it doesn't really strike me as beautiful. The Reventon looks like a stealth plane and personally doesn't do anything for me, if I were into those looks I would be in the aircraft hobby. Now the Ferrari's are a bit troubling as in my opinion there hasn't really been a good looking Ferrari for quite some time. We all think they look good, because they are Ferrari's, but they really just aren't. In my opinion the late eighties (not the Testarossa) brought the last of the good looking Ferrari's but they were dogs most of the time with V6's... Besides who wants to own a Ferrari these days, their fan base is rather annoying and you would have impotent 40 year olds with a Ferrari polo, shoes and cap drooling over your car every second, while they can't even see it's not really that beautiful.

Now the Alfa Romeo 8C is just a fabulous car, it's so classically correct. Quite like the Ferrari Daytona (365) that you were talking about Brock. Timeless classics. Which in my opinion is what it should also be. A true super car is not just a performer, it should also be a looker. These days it so easy to make a car that goes a billion miles per hour and get's there in a tenth of a second that all practicality is lost and nobody is going to use that extra performance anyways. Not a lot of timeless classics are produced these days, only a couple come to mind, the Alfa Romeo 8C, the Aston Martin DB9 (no not the S), ok I can't even think of any other.

Arthur

Quote from: beware the sleeper on September 21, 2009, 08:55:06 AM
how you are right, cause you are wrong, censorship is wrong

There is a difference between censorship and common decency. A person can be very well expressive without cursing.
Striving for world domination since 1986

Mike DC

I have the same problem with most Ferarris that I have with Corvettes - I think the cars themselves are cool, but I don't wanna join the subculture that has grown up around them.

I particularly agree that Ferarri has fallen behind on making true classics.  IMHO the beloved Testarossa has always been downright fugly.

The modern F50 isn't much better IMHO.  Perhaps it's a great car when you're behind the wheel (and I do appreciate that stopwatch numbers aren't the whole story for that), but from 15 feet away I've seen fiberglass kit-cars that look much better. 

I do think the F40 is a classic though.  The whole thing is pretty uncompromising as a vehicle, and that wins points with me.  I didn't like the way they looked when I first saw them 20 years ago but the styling grew on me.   (The 1990s Toyota Supra Turbo was severely ripped off the F40 in terms of styling, and I also think that car is a future classic in the making.)

Arthu®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 23, 2009, 11:48:16 PM

I have the same problem with most Ferarris that I have with Corvettes - I think the cars themselves are cool, but I don't wanna join the subculture that has grown up around them.

I particularly agree that Ferarri has fallen behind on making true classics.  IMHO the beloved Testarossa has always been downright fugly.

The modern F50 isn't much better IMHO.  Perhaps it's a great car when you're behind the wheel (and I do appreciate that stopwatch numbers aren't the whole story for that), but from 15 feet away I've seen fiberglass kit-cars that look much better. 

I do think the F40 is a classic though.  The whole thing is pretty uncompromising as a vehicle, and that wins points with me.  I didn't like the way they looked when I first saw them 20 years ago but the styling grew on me.   (The 1990s Toyota Supra Turbo was severely ripped off the F40 in terms of styling, and I also think that car is a future classic in the making.)

I agree with you that the F40 is a classic nowadays and in my opinion doesn't look that bad. But my point was that it is not timeless, these designs were unappreciated for the last two decades. Unlike for example the Ferrari Daytona, Dino or even in my opinion the 328's. I fully agree with you on the Testarossa and F50...
Striving for world domination since 1986

buie1289

Blown70