News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

getting better...12.17 at 112mph (w/pics)

Started by joflaig, September 09, 2009, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Went to da' Grove on Friday night, got in 8 runs then drove home. After every few passes I adjusted the QA1 shock settings. I had the MT drag radials at 17.5 psi. I've been told to go down to 12psi. Don't know? Next time I go I will adjust the slide-a-links to track settings, have yet to do that. The best combo on the shocks seems so far to be two clicks on the front and 3 or 4 clicks on the rear.

60' time was 1.751 and R/T was .096 on my best run. At the 1/8th I was doing 90.3mph. Anyway, is it fair to say the 60' time is doing me in here? Any tips? I'm in 1st and the engine is at revving up on the first yellow. I'm off on the last yellow and have yet to red light. Maybe it's just more fine tuning with the suspension and tires. Anyway, this is such a blast I'm seriously contemplating going to Indy heads & intake and a new cam, but I'll post those details in the engine section, already talked to Dwayne Porter!

joflaig

charger_cody

Are you hooking up right??? Looks like it sits pretty high in the back.

Cody

jb666

joflaig

Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 06:16:00 PM

Cody

Dumb question from a newbie: How do you know when you're hoooking up right and what physics should the car take on so that you'd know (obviously your ET would be lower)?

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on September 09, 2009, 06:44:32 PM

Cody

Dumb question from a newbie: How do you know when you're hoooking up right and what physics should the car take on so that you'd know (obviously your ET would be lower)?

A nice low squat in the rear with the front in the air... Here's my buddy Jon's car launching hard...

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on September 09, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

A nice low squat in the rear with the front in the air... Here's my buddy Jon's car launching hard...

I was trying to adjust the shocks to get weight transfer to the rear, if the rear is too stiff then what would the result be and vice versa if too loose...?  I didn't remove the sway bar. I never spun the tires, that much at least you cn feel pretty easy from inside the car.

jb666

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on September 09, 2009, 06:59:00 PM
Are you running air shocks??

No, QA1 Stocker Stars, gas, 12 way adjustables, front & rear.

mauve66

if you have the ability

1. take one of those round air tanks, that way you can experiment with the tire pressure and still get home ok
2. take some tools, remove the end links from the front sway bar, that will help with weight transfer, remember to bolt them back on when leaving
3. if you think your staging at the same spot every time, then try to roll forward another 1/4 of a tire roll, if you red light then only do an 1/8th roll, by your best reaction time you still have almost a 10th of a sec at the tree, sometimes bracket racing results come back to who was closest at the tree
4. experiment with the staging rpm to see if you can get higher against the converter before it flashes
5. have the patience to try only one of these things on session at a time so you can evaluate the results without confusing the issue with multiple changes
6. remember that what worked before the change (example, tire pressure) may have to be adjusted after you realize you can bring the rpm's up higher for launch
7. don't worry about getting the front end in the air, you'll need alot of motor and alot of traction to get there
8. realize right now that the faster you go the funner it is and the more you'll spend, and the faster you'll go and the more things will break and the..................... you get the picture right?? :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

joflaig

Quote from: mauve66 on September 09, 2009, 07:35:56 PM
if you have the ability

1. take one of those round air tanks, that way you can experiment with the tire pressure and still get home ok
2. take some tools, remove the end links from the front sway bar, that will help with weight transfer, remember to bolt them back on when leaving
3. if you think your staging at the same spot every time, then try to roll forward another 1/4 of a tire roll, if you red light then only do an 1/8th roll, by your best reaction time you still have almost a 10th of a sec at the tree, sometimes bracket racing results come back to who was closest at the tree
4. experiment with the staging rpm to see if you can get higher against the converter before it flashes
5. have the patience to try only one of these things on session at a time so you can evaluate the results without confusing the issue with multiple changes
6. remember that what worked before the change (example, tire pressure) may have to be adjusted after you realize you can bring the rpm's up higher for launch
7. don't worry about getting the front end in the air, you'll need alot of motor and alot of traction to get there
8. realize right now that the faster you go the funner it is and the more you'll spend, and the faster you'll go and the more things will break and the..................... you get the picture right?? :2thumbs:

This is really great advice. I do have a portable air pump I plug into the cigarette lighter. I think I tried many of the things you suggested, but sometimes in combination.

mauve66

keep some kind of notebook with each change ans the result otherwise you'll be forgetting things, also a good idea to keep track of temp, wind, humidity and such as car will act differently on different days, then the next time you go to the track with similar weather conditions you know ABOUT where to set the car up at
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

joflaig

Quote from: mauve66 on September 09, 2009, 08:02:28 PM
keep some kind of notebook with each change ans the result otherwise you'll be forgetting things, also a good idea to keep track of temp, wind, humidity and such as car will act differently on different days, then the next time you go to the track with similar weather conditions you know ABOUT where to set the car up at

I did keep notes, this track didn't have a giant temp gauge over the pit area as another I have gone too, but anway it's Wisconsin in Sept. so you can see you breath in the evening. There is so much skill and science and rote knowledge involved in this, people who thinking racing in a straight line is easy, well...

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on September 09, 2009, 06:03:56 PM
Anyway, this is such a blast I'm seriously contemplating going to Indy heads & intake and a new cam, but I'll post those details in the engine section, already talked to Dwayne Porter!

Oh Noooooo....the downward spiral has begun !  :lol:

It takes time to dial everything in....and your combo has lots left in it. The 112mph is encouraging....the ET's will come with suspension tuning. You allready have enough trap speed for 11.80's. Start by loosening up the front end and remove/loosen the swaybar links ; that will help with weight transfer if it's spinning out of the hole.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger_cody

Cody

Your lucky im a nice guy and care for these forums. And i have never been racing, so how should i know? Thanks

Cody

69bronzeT5

Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 08:25:07 PM

Cody

Your lucky im a nice guy and care for these forums. And i have never been racing, so how should i know? Thanks

Cody

I think he mean's he was asking a dumb question ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charger_cody

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 09, 2009, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 08:25:07 PM

Cody

Cody

I think he mean's he was asking a dumb question ;)

OOOHHHHH now i see it haha.

69bronzeT5

Oh and awesome pictures btw, the first and last ones are my favorites :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

joflaig

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 09, 2009, 08:48:03 PM

This forum is a great place for asking dumb questions, second best way to learn anything, after making mistakes, of course.

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 09, 2009, 08:19:55 PM
Quote from: joflaig on September 09, 2009, 06:03:56 PM
Anyway, this is such a blast I'm seriously contemplating going to Indy heads & intake and a new cam, but I'll post those details in the engine section, already talked to Dwayne Porter!

Oh Noooooo....the downward spiral has begun !  :lol:

It takes time to dial everything in....and your combo has lots left in it. The 112mph is encouraging....the ET's will come with suspension tuning. You allready have enough trap speed for 11.80's. Start by loosening up the front end and remove/loosen the swaybar links ; that will help with weight transfer if it's spinning out of the hole.  ;)

Ron

No worries, nothing gets done with that motor until a dana 60 w/4.10s and GV OD unit go in.

six-tee-nine

When you're doing that then put a 4 speed behind that beast..... :nana:

No realy I think this are already great figures for a full weight street car. I'm sure with some experiments you'll be doing high 11's in no time... :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

68ChargerJMP

I dont think mopars or leaf spring cars for that matter are supposed to squat when they launch, they actually raise in the rear while launching.

bakerhillpins

I'm with you! That first pic has to be one of the best off center, front shots of a 69 I have seen in a LONG while. And I do a lot of window shopping since I don't have one of my own!

Good luck with your racing..  :2thumbs: seems you have much to keep you occupied.  :popcrn:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

joflaig

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 10, 2009, 07:44:40 AM

I'm with you! That first pic has to be one of the best off center, front shots of a 69 I have seen in a LONG while. And I do a lot of window shopping since I don't have one of my own!

Good luck with your racing..  :2thumbs: seems you have much to keep you occupied.  :popcrn:

Yeah, that track is pretty cool, it's open 6 days a week and they have a freelance photographer taking pics of everyone. I'm ordering some of these so I can get rid of his tradmark text.

LeadfootBob

Nothing like slicks on steelies to make a mopar look good, have fun with that beastie  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on September 10, 2009, 07:38:36 AM
I dont think mopars or leaf spring cars for that matter are supposed to squat when they launch, they actually raise in the rear while launching.

AFAIK yes, the axle "torques" the springs downward, lifting the rear and planting the tires. The problem comes if the "hit" is too hard, the car bounces and unloads the tires as the lifting motion ends... Isn't the technical term "anti-squat" or something?
The big advantage of the mopars is the fact that the axle is placed off-center forward length-wise on the spring, minimizing spring wrap-up compared to certain other POS brands  :D
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

jb666

Quote from: LeadfootBob on September 10, 2009, 11:33:37 AM
Nothing like slicks on steelies to make a mopar look good, have fun with that beas  :2thumbs:

AFAIK yes, the axle "torques" the springs downward, lifting the rear end and planting the tires. The problem comes if the "hit" is too hard, the car bounces and unloads the tires as the lifting motion ends... The big advantage of the mopars is the fact that the axle is placed off-center forward length-wise on the spring, minimizing spring wrap-up compared to certain other POS brands  :D

Good info  :cheers: :cheers:

joflaig

Quote from: LeadfootBob on September 10, 2009, 11:33:37 AM
Nothing like slicks on steelies to make a mopar look good, have fun with that beastie  :2thumbs:

AFAIK yes, the axle "torques" the springs downward, lifting the rear and planting the tires. The problem comes if the "hit" is too hard, the car bounces and unloads the tires as the lifting motion ends... Isn't the technical term "anti-squat" or something?
The big advantage of the mopars is the fact that the axle is placed off-center forward length-wise on the spring, minimizing spring wrap-up compared to certain other POS brands  :D

That's good info, so when the back comes up it's not "wrong" per se. With a 4-link or something else, I guess the physics would be different.

Jon Smith

Quote from: jb666 on September 09, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

Cody

the rear should rise with leaf springs, not squat, looks like his charger is doing from the pics..

chargerhunter

Weight transfer with the KYB adjustables I have on my '68 with air shocks (of all things) in the rear running a spool, no swaybar, homemade frame connectors and a 6pt cage to REALLY stiffen up the car did wonders. I myself never raced the car but the 77 yr. old man I bought it from did on occasion...
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727