News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion bar removal tools

Started by bull, August 27, 2009, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Where did you guys buy your torsion bar removal tools and what do they look like? I've seen a couple different types so I'm not sure which would be best. And I'd prefer not to spend $100 on this deal since I'm only planning on doing this once. Are there any other specialty tools reqiured to remove the K-frame besides Kroil and/or WD40?

Here's what I've seen:

1. Ebay
2. Mancini

hemi-hampton

I got that one in 2nd Pic & think it sucks. The bolts are to small & to weak & if you got a tough to remove Torsion bar you can kiss those wimpy bolts good by. Then you'll be buying big grade 8 bolts & tap & die to make it useable, Something this company should of done in the first place, Their other tools broke on me with first time use also. There was suppose to be another company making these tools soon. LEON.

TylerCharger69

I didn't need a tool to remove mine?    :shruggy: :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 27, 2009, 05:59:56 PM
I didn't need a tool to remove mine?    :shruggy: :shruggy:

Hmmm. Vewwy intewesting. :scratchchin: I guess I'll have to give it a try first. Other than that I think I'm just going to make one myself by the looks of the pics I posted above. That one from Mancini looks like it uses 1/4" 20 bolts which I can already tell is a joke. I guess Leon can attest to that. The Ebay one doesn't look much better. The one they show in the service manual look like something you could drive railroad ties with so I guess I'll just try finding a steel block with a hole in it or maybe use some muffler clamps or something. I'm not going to pay $40-$50 for something I have to rebuild to use. I'd rather spend $2 on something I can make myself.

TylerCharger69

Once I relieved the tension on the torsion bars by removing the lower shock bolt, and removed the retainer clips on the backsides of the bars themselves....just a very slight tap and they slid right out!!!

Dodge Don

I bought an L shaped trailer hitch from a surplus shop (Princess Auto) drilled 4 holes in it and installed 2 U clamps...viola....torsion bar remover (that works) for around $5.

bull

Which part did you hammer on, Don? One of the clamps or the hitch?

b5blue

Mine came out no problem, a rag and big vice grips...tap tap wiggle wiggle.

runningman

Had trouble getting mine out, I was rebuilding the whole front end anyway so I loosened the LCA pivot and pried the LCA back and it helped a bunch.  :Twocents:

Dodge Don

Quote from: bull on August 27, 2009, 10:14:40 PM
Which part did you hammer on, Don? One of the clamps or the hitch?

The hitch.

OneofNoneRT

No tools..One slid right out, the other had to be persuaded..But only about 30 minutes worth.. :shruggy:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

jaak

I dont have a tool either.... I have always after removing tension from LCA, remove spindle from lower ball joint, remove t-bar clips, unbolt LCA and strut rod bolt, pry between k-frame and LCA...I slid LCA and t-bar together, then knock the LCA off the end of the t-bar with a hammer. Thats assuming your removing the whole  front suspension for a rebuild.

I really like Dodge Don's tool though.....may have to make me one of those!

Jason

HPP

I've never used a tool. I just remove the strut rod nut, give the lower control arm a wack, and watch it all come apart.

BigBlackDodge

The last two cars I removed the t-bars on I didn't have to use any tools.........maybe I was lucky. :shruggy:

BBD

six-tee-nine

I fabbed myself a tool kinda like the one in the top picture.

I agree with Leon on this, you need strong bolts to tighten the tool well because when the bars are in tight you have to bash the tool pretty hard.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hemi-hampton

I've done a few & some come out easy & some come out hard. Maybe 50/50 :scratchchin:  :Twocents::shruggy: LEON.

bull

I guess I didn't get lucky like some of you guys did. The passenger side bar came out fairly easy but I still had to use a homemade removal tool. The drivers side? Crap! I ruined the aforementioned tool trying to get that one off so I made another tool and beefed it up a bunch for round two. I tightened it so tight and beat the living tarnation out of it so badly than when I finally did get the bar to pop out I had to cut the tool off with an angle grinder and throw it away. Jeez, I'm glad that's overwith.

hemi-hampton

Now you know what I was talking about :pity:  LEON.

bull

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 12, 2009, 11:17:34 PM
Now you know what I was talking about :pity:  LEON.

Yes, I do. :icon_smile_cool: At least the doohickey I built didn't cost me any money. :2thumbs:

Scaregrabber

Undo LCA nut then use prybar between K/member and LCA, even tough bars will be forced back using this method, You can put a lot more pressure using this method than you can clamping something to the T-bar.

Sheldon