News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen grile pieces.

Started by charger_cody, September 09, 2009, 04:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Has anyone painted them black??? Just straight up black on every piece?

Im wanting to know because they are sitting out in the garage waiting to either be painted back silver/grey, or black.

Whats wrong with painting them black??

Cody

Ponch ®

Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 04:09:23 PM
Has anyone painted them black??? Just straight up black on every piece?

Im wanting to know because they are sitting out in the garage waiting to either be painted back silver/grey, or black.

Whats wrong with painting them black??

Cody

I've seen some that looked pretty cool, and some that looked like crap. It probably depends on the color of the body and how it goes with it.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

charger_cody

Well the most I can tell you is the color of the car is petty blue. I wanted to "murder" the car out by painting all the trim black and the bumpers the same color as the car. Because black just POPS out with petty blue.

Cody

FLG

My grille was painted sometime in its life all black. I plan on keeping it black just doing it the right way instead of the shoddy way it was done.

charger_cody

Will you send me a pic of it???

Either post or email.

dkbug@cox.net

Cody

FLG

At school but heres the pics i have ATM.

jaak

Here's a pic of a 73 I looked at for sale about a year ago...it had black grilles. This is the only pic I had of the front of it.

Jason

charger_cody

My dad sais what if i were to paint then that they wouldnt ever look original again. Should i or should i not?

Cody

Ponch ®

Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 06:13:42 PM
My dad sais what if i were to paint then that they wouldnt ever look original again. Should i or should i not?

Cody

the way i see it, its not like most of our 3rd gens (especially one like mine that's a 74 with a 318) are the most exotic of all mopars to begin with, so messing around with the car's originality isn't exactly a deadly sin.

If you're still worried about the originality, find a set on ebay and then paint whichever is in "lesser" condition.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

NHCharger

I have a split opinion on this. My 72 is Petty Blue and I repainted the grille the original color, argent silver with black on the inside of the outer edges. I think the grilles on the 73/74's are terrible looking compared to the 71/72's so painting it black might make it look better.
My 71 is Hemi Orange with hideaways and I don't like the amount of chrome on them so I am going to paint the grille black. Not sure if I should go flat or semi gloss.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

quapman

I can't count the number of 3rd gens with black grilles I've had to repair, repaint (SILVER) or replace.

To me, it looks like the car just came from some bored kid's dad's garage.

Just my  :Twocents:

viper r/t

Nitrox

451-74Charger

I have my original silver ones, and a spare set from an SE that I plan on painting Black with Grey trim

charger_cody

I mean because io have painted my tail light bezels black and they came out great. Is it possible to paint them black and actually make it look nice without the paint chippnig or scuffing away?

Cody

73chgrSE

I did mine a couple years back. You have to clean them up really good before and start by spraying a really light coat. Use good paint, oil based is tougher and will last longer.

Nitrox

Yeah guy! Its no problem. You have to have a paint and primer that has a flexible additive in it. This additive will allow the paint to remain ductile as the grill flexes in the wind. Anything that says "plasitic" on it means it has that additive. I painted mine with stuff bought from Wal-Mart. Its been that way for years and Ive won plaenty of show trophies and, I drive this car nearly everyday of the week.

charger_cody

Clean with water???? And is there a better brand than others for this "plastic" paint. I painted my door panels and they are scratched to shit now. The paint was worthless.

cody

Mr.Woolery

How about powdercoating the parts?  All the parts are metal, right?  Powdercoat would be much more durable than paint.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

charger_cody

Quote from: Mr.Woolery on September 10, 2009, 09:51:41 AM
How about powdercoating the parts?  All the parts are metal, right?  Powdercoat would be much more durable than paint.

Grile pieces are plastic.

Door panels are plastic.

Cody

73chgrSE

My lower door panels didn't hold up well when painted either. they just needed to be replaced. That plastic is softer than the front grill plastic obviously and got touched and scuffed more.

You can use water and dish soap that cuts grease. that should be fine to clean the bug guts and stuff off the grill. if you have stubborn spots use some denatured alcohol to disolve the crudd off then rinse it off with water.

Brock Samson

Prep is so important,  :yesnod:
for the interior panels I'd use simple green to get rid of surface contamination, then light scuff with a 3m pad to give a bit of texture for the primer to adhere to, then a light dusting coat to start the final layers contact, then at least two light surface coats, with the final coat a compatable clear of either gloss, semi gloss, or flat - to seal the deal. No amount of prep or finish will protect against serious abrasion. and do not apply too much primer paint or clear at any one time/coating.
All your steps must be oil/grease/dust free or as they say free of contaminates,.. and all the products used for primer painting and clear/finish MUST BE COMPATABLE... other wise a gooey blob mess will result and the crap will never dry.
allways a good idea to test first on a similar or unseen material like the back of the panel for example,.. care must be taken and use the correct tools or your wasting your time and will achive an unimagined work of crap.
Good luck but better prep...  :D

charger_cody

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 10, 2009, 11:04:21 AM
Prep is so important,  :yesnod:
for the interior panels I'd use simple green to get rid of surface contamination, then light scuff with a 3m pad to give a bit of texture for the primer to adhere to, then a light dusting coat to start the final layers contact, then at least two light surface coats, with the final coat a compatable clear of either gloss, semi gloss, or flat - to seal the deal. No amount of prep or finish will protect against serious abrasion. and do not apply too much primer paint or clear at any one time/coating.
All your steps must be oil/grease/dust free or as they say free of contaminates,.. and all the products used for primer painting and clear/finish MUST BE COMPATABLE... other wise a gooey blob mess will result and the crap will never dry.
allways a good idea to test first on a similar or unseen material like the back of the panel for example,.. care must be taken and use the correct tools or your wasting your time and will achive an unimagined work of crap.
Good luck but better prep...  :D

Quite substantial.

Appreciate it.

Cody

Nacho-RT74

not a big fan of PLAIN BLACK grilles... make them look headlight floating or hanging out just there...

Maybe black and some detail to make it "flush" ( dunno if that will be the right therm ) a little bit
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Cody,
Mine were pretty fugly before I redid mine. Now remember you can use any color you want.
Here's the steps I took.

Removed the rubber buckets and SE trim.
Cleaned with 409 and green scratch pad.
Sanded smooth all rough edges.
Taped up all the chrome with painters tape. Takes time.
Took to my local body shop and he painted them close to the original color and clear coated
($60).
The reason I took to the body shop was because of all the nooks and crannies.
The rubber buckets I did the same way but bought my own spray paint and clear.
Overall they came out great.