News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

getting better...12.17 at 112mph (w/pics)

Started by joflaig, September 09, 2009, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Quote from: LeadfootBob on September 10, 2009, 11:33:37 AM
Nothing like slicks on steelies to make a mopar look good, have fun with that beas  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on September 10, 2009, 07:38:36 AM
I dont think mopars or leaf spring cars for that matter are supposed to squat when they launch, they actually raise in the rear while launching.

AFAIK yes, the axle "torques" the springs downward, lifting the rear end and planting the tires. The problem comes if the "hit" is too hard, the car bounces and unloads the tires as the lifting motion ends... The big advantage of the mopars is the fact that the axle is placed off-center forward length-wise on the spring, minimizing spring wrap-up compared to certain other POS brands  :D

Good info  :cheers: :cheers:

joflaig

Quote from: LeadfootBob on September 10, 2009, 11:33:37 AM
Nothing like slicks on steelies to make a mopar look good, have fun with that beastie  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on September 10, 2009, 07:38:36 AM
I dont think mopars or leaf spring cars for that matter are supposed to squat when they launch, they actually raise in the rear while launching.

AFAIK yes, the axle "torques" the springs downward, lifting the rear and planting the tires. The problem comes if the "hit" is too hard, the car bounces and unloads the tires as the lifting motion ends... Isn't the technical term "anti-squat" or something?
The big advantage of the mopars is the fact that the axle is placed off-center forward length-wise on the spring, minimizing spring wrap-up compared to certain other POS brands  :D

That's good info, so when the back comes up it's not "wrong" per se. With a 4-link or something else, I guess the physics would be different.

Jon Smith

Quote from: jb666 on September 09, 2009, 06:49:10 PM
Quote from: joflaig on September 09, 2009, 06:44:32 PM
Quote from: charger_cody on September 09, 2009, 06:16:00 PM
Are you hooking up right??? Looks like it sits pretty high in the back.

Cody

Dumb question from a newbie: How do you know when you're hoooking up right and what physics should the car take on so that you'd know (obviously your ET would be lower)?

A nice low squat in the rear with the front in the air... Here's my buddy Jon's car launching hard...

the rear should rise with leaf springs, not squat, looks like his charger is doing from the pics..

chargerhunter

Weight transfer with the KYB adjustables I have on my '68 with air shocks (of all things) in the rear running a spool, no swaybar, homemade frame connectors and a 6pt cage to REALLY stiffen up the car did wonders. I myself never raced the car but the 77 yr. old man I bought it from did on occasion...
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727