News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about TDC (Updated) I messed up

Started by 400/6/PAC, September 09, 2009, 12:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Yeah, I know.  Sometimes the only solution is to rip everything apart and try again.  I'm at a the end of my advice.  It still sounds like your valves are staying open.  OK, one last thing.  Did MP send you solid lifters verses hydraulic??  worse things have happened.  If you did the right things then all I can think of is someone else added to your woes.
Keep us updated on you progress.

green69rt

Ok, reread your thread again.  You didn't see anything wrong with the timing chain.  Did you take it off to inspect it?  I'm really reaching here but there has to be something wrong somewhere!!!!

frederick

I agree with the others, you've probably overadjusted the preload, completely compressing the hydaulic lifter.

To make setting the preload easy, I bought another hydraulic lifter.(same brand)
I opened it, removed the spring and shimmed it so it now acts as a solid.
To set the preload I insert the "solid lifter" adjust so there is no preload, then add another 0.030".
Take the "solid" out and insert the normal lifter.

Frederick

firefighter3931

Sure sounds like the valves are hanging open. Time to start over and re-adjust the valvetrain.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC

Oh Man
What if The'y are solid lifters and not hydraulic.
How bad would that mess things up????