News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building a budget 426 Hemi

Started by ACUDANUT, January 17, 2010, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I have seen new complete 426 Hemi's selling for 15K.  Would it be cheaper to just get everything you need and build it yourself ?  How much could you build one for ?

Mefirst

"Budget and Cheap" are two words that are NEVER associated with the Hemi engine.. Then again if you have the chance to buy one -Go for it !

This is mine

/Tom

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

Troy

Yes, you can build one cheaper but it probably won't be exactly the same. Some of the Hemi builders have some really cheap prices once you add up all the parts and machine work. That also depends one what you mean by "everything". There are some specific parts to make one look stock that won't come with a crate motor.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68blue

Belgium R/T -68

I'm building my own for my challenger. Not only because it will be a few hundred bucks cheaper then a crate but mostly for spreading the cost and the flexibility
on how you want the engine, with a crate you normally need some changes or upgrades anyway.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

BB1

Delete my profile

Cooter

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...The day I have to remove the brake master Cyl. to adjust the valves (Real musclecars have solid lift cams), is the day they put my ass in the ground....Hemi's are aPITA and aren't very user friendly when installed in a lighter car...For MY $15K, I can have TWO (2) 500 C.I. stroker Wedges.... IMO, an engine that costs $15K, should be puttin' out one helluva lot more than 650 H.P.:Twocents:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"