News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wet sanding clear coat...with lots of photos!

Started by AKcharger, September 08, 2009, 11:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

If you did the whole entire vehicle in 8 hours & another 2 rubbing I think thats pretty good, fast. Or was that just half the vehicle :scratchchin: LEON.

AKcharger

superbirdtom

A friend of mine is such a good polisher that lots of his restoration business is just polishing cars. The owner has the car painted at a shop and then they take it to jimmys shop to have him block and polish it . it takes him about a week or two to do it. but it is perfectly flat and looks like glass.  he uses a product called RACERS.  he requires 4 coats minimum of clear be put on as one and a half coats will be sanded off.

Right now he is painting and polishing a black 64 grand prix 421 tripower 4 speed car I guess their very rare. did you do your final polish with a foam pad??    I use a 3-M blue waffle velcro pad with some 3-m blue finish swirl remover as my final. it makes a huge difference jut when you think it can't get any better. I use a flex -50 buffer . Some guys still use air buffers, they went the way of the dinosaur back in the mid 80,s.  looks like your truck turned out pretty good! lord I hate buffing anymore. I am going to try the trizek system sometime just for crash jobs I heard its pretty fast.   

AKcharger

I used a Meguires pad (a red one) the paint shop suggested, seemed to work good. I suspect I could have made it a lot better but as I mentioned before the body isn't razor stright so don't mind a lil' OP :)

Silver R/T

I bought a SOLO kit by Meguiar's. It comes complete with backing pad, cutting wool pads, polishing pad and finessing pad. Also included is universal cutting/polishing compound. I found it works pretty good for me
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

If you started with 400 grit on a block like you say then that should of eliminated any orange peel real quick :scratchchin: LEON.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 13, 2009, 08:28:50 PM
If you started with 400 grit on a block like you say then that should of eliminated any orange peel real quick :scratchchin: LEON.

It did...I could have went farther but was happy with result...slightly more orange peel then you'd find on a new car.