News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me make a decision on a 383.

Started by Hudson Hornet !, September 09, 2009, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

I am about ready to start a 383 build and I would like to know what is your opinion on stroker kits? I want to have a very strong bottom end and eventually would like to centrifugally supercharge the engine. Is a stud girdle a needed item? Which heads are a good bang for the buck? This will be installed in a 68 4-speed charger. Any help would be appreciated as I want to do it right the first time. Thanks!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Rolling_Thunder

if you're thinking of a S/C - i would do a stud girdle just for peace of mind...   you dont want to do it later on..   just do it now...     -  heads?  edelbrock rpms...     Stroker kits   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

Hudson Hornet !

Okay, what stroker kits have a good rep, and will the stock block handle all of this?

Ghoste

There are a few out there that all seem to have a good rep, Mancini, Muscle Motors, Indy Cylinder Head.  440Source has been getting a bad rap lately but I don't have any personal experience with their stroker kits so you might want to investigate further there.
The stock block should be able to handle it okay.  Just how big do you plan to go and how much boost do you plan to throw in it eventually?

Hudson Hornet !

I would like to make 550 horse or so, and not alot of boost. Under 8 lb. As far as the stroker, I don't know. Heck, I would leave it a 383 if I knew the crank could take it.

Rolling_Thunder

440 Source has been getting a bad reputation on their cylinder heads mostly - I still have not heard anything bad of their stroker kits.  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

General_01

I used the 440Source 383>496 stroker kit. My engine builder didn't have any problems with it. The engine made 555 HP and 610 ft/lbs of torque. Just carb. No S/C for this car.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Hudson Hornet !

Thank you guys for all the replies! Let me ask you this, If you could do it over again, would you do anything different, or are you all happy with your combinations?

General_01

When I am behind the wheel= Very Happy :2thumbs:

When I look in my bank account= Very sad  :'(

I would do it again. It is just to much fun driving with this engine. :D

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed