News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

smog 440 cam ideas ?

Started by 72_rallye, September 06, 2009, 04:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72_rallye

I sure could use some ideas on a cam change. I wounded the 400 magnum in my 72' rallye charger. I have a good condition 1975 440 from a pickup that i wanted to swap in temporarily until the 400 can be rebuilt. The 440 doesn't need a rebuild but i would like to swap out a good cam if it will help it run better with the low compression and all.  Will the smog 440 gain much at all or am i waisting my time ??  .  The car has 2.76 gears and a a small converter but is pretty much gonna be a stocker.  Any ideas or stories would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

firefighter3931

Engle K54 or the 262* VooDoo cam would be my choice for a smogger build.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

72_rallye

Thanks for the reply Ron ,
  I will consider those to purchase,,, I'm not planning on keeping the 440 in this Charger but would like it to not be such a dog.
   I wonder what the specs were on those smog era camshafts ? 

firefighter3931

Quote from: 72_rallye on September 07, 2009, 06:59:09 PM
   I wonder what the specs were on those smog era camshafts ? 

The smog cams were pretty anemic....most had less than .400 lift at the valve and very short duration. Basicly good for grocery getters but not performance.  :P

The K54 is an excellent low compression stick....traps lots of air in the cylinder to build torque (compensates for low static compression) with an early intake valve closing point. These are modern cam profiles with more agressive lobes to build power yet remain very streetable.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs