News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

*pic - '69 440 - Weird Snorkel with Performer RPM Intake?

Started by mindless1, September 07, 2009, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindless1

Hi guys,
I have a 69 charger R/T which I put a 440 into from a '68 New Yorker.  I'm looking at changing the stock intake manifold to a Performer RPM, and I'm wondering if there is a drop base available which will allow me to use the snorkel setup.  Thing is, I'm pretty sure my snorkel is not the same as a true Charger snorkel (since it came from the New Yorker) - see pic.
So:
Is this the same as an actual charger snorkel?
Can I fit this snorkel on top of a performer RPM (and a carter avs/afb 750 carb) without hood clearance issues?
Is there a drop kit available?

Thanks for any help!

471_Magnum

That air cleaner is very similar to the dual snorkel that would have come on an A/C equipped B-body. Hard to tell from that pic.

No it won't work with a RPM.

There is a trick that might sneak it under the hood though. Ford Motor Sport has a drop base air cleaner that also uses a 13" filter. You can use the base plate under the factory top, essentially giving you an un-silenced air cleaner. That base is contoured to fit a 4150/60 Holley.

The catch is that the choke horn comes pretty close to the air cleaner and compromises air flow. It still might not buy you enough clearance for the very tall RPM (the snorkel tubes might hit). Furthermore, you will also have to relocate your ignition coil.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

mindless1

Thanks - do you think I'd have better luck fitting a CH4B?  If so would I still need the drop kit?

Thanks again...

471_Magnum

CH4B is only slightly taller than stock. Should fit fine.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

mindless1