News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Close call!

Started by Troy, September 07, 2009, 10:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Heading home from a cruise last week...

I saw it (dove?) come out from the side of the road and swerve. Then I heard a thunk and the body came flipping over the car (I ducked but it missed the windshield too). I didn't even stop until I got home because I was sure I was missing a big chunk of grill. I guess it hit the bottom of the hood though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

jaak

Wow, your lucky you aren't posting a wanted ad looking for a 68 grille.

Jason

Rallyecharger

Very lucky indeed !!!  :cheers:  go buy a lottery ticket now !!

68X426

You live right.  :angel:

Are you sure that wasn't a Ford Falcon?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

Quote from: jaak on September 07, 2009, 10:34:24 AM
Wow, your lucky you aren't posting a wanted ad looking for a 68 grille.

Jason
I have spares - I just didn't plan on using them right away!

Troy

BrianShaughnessy

Lucky!    Maybe it hit the bumper.   :shruggy:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 07, 2009, 11:20:50 AM
Lucky!    Maybe it hit the bumper.   :shruggy:

yeah thats what im thinking !! hit bumper first  :scratchchin:  , lucky it didn't take the grill out  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MoparManJim

Man, went I saw the first photo I just  :smilielol: and the 2nd one was no better.

I'm glad to hear it didn't brake the grill though  :2thumbs: 

But if you want to grill some food, don't use your charger grill for that, used the other kind of grill to grill the stuff though  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Troy

I dunno if it hit the bumper because it would have had to bounce out/up to come over the car without getting stuck in the grill. I didn't find any blood in the grill or bumper either (it was all over the windshield and hood). Either way, it missed the grill and didn't bend or dent anything else.

Troy

Tilar

Oh great, Now I have more to worry about when I get mine running.  ::)

Glad it didn't hurt anything.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

MoparManJim

You know Troy, it puzzles even me, how in the heck would the bird get from inside the open area to out an up over the hood tip to hit the windshield also  :-\ :-\   :confused: :confused: 

You would think it would remain in the grill area presley if your driving down the road when it happen.

Steve P.

Glad you AND the car are good, buddy. A bunch of years ago while on my way to work I saw a very large flock of green "looked like parrots", dive bombing into two of the three lane road in front of me. I would have just blasted on through feeling bad, but the lady just ahead of me and in the left lane nailed the brakes and came into my lane crossing in front of me. No one was hurt and neither car connected, but we left many hungry and DEAD birds all over the road.
Once stopped and off the road she told me she has birds at home and she completely freaked when they dove in front of her. I asked her if she would like to be on her way to her own funeral.

Sometimes it's just best to pic a lane and drive through.  :P
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

What I wanna know is if it happened last week, why the delay.  :shruggy:  :icon_smile_wink:
You are one lucky guy, or your car is lucky.
I kid you not on this story I'm about to tell you.  I was in my buddies 70 Olds Pace car conv.  We were on a main highway cruising when he says to me, you're not gonna believe this but one time while I was on the highway just like now, a bird slammed into my hood scoops.  Just as he said that, a bird slammed into the scoop while we were driving.  We just stared at each other with our mouths open. :o

P.S  I thought your grille had silver vertical lines?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

472 R/T SE

Good thing it wasn't a '69.  ;)

Troy

Quote from: MoparManJim on September 07, 2009, 03:10:59 PM
You know Troy, it puzzles even me, how in the heck would the bird get from inside the open area to out an up over the hood tip to hit the windshield also  :-\ :-\   :confused: :confused: 

You would think it would remain in the grill area presley if your driving down the road when it happen.
It exploded in a ball of feathers. My guess is the rest landed on the highway somewhere but the ones that went into the grill stuck. That's why I think it hit the front edge of the hood - the body bounced up but the feathers went everywhere.

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 07, 2009, 04:00:38 PM
What I wanna know is if it happened last week, why the delay.  :shruggy:  :icon_smile_wink:
Delay in what? Posting? I hadn't resized the pictures yet - too busy. The grill does have silver vertical lines.

I have never hit a bird with a car - although I hit one on my motorcycle once. It deflected off the mirror and went over my shoulder. Usually I'm dodging deer, opossum, and raccoons.

Troy

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 07, 2009, 04:00:38 PM
What I wanna know is if it happened last week, why the delay.  :shruggy:  :icon_smile_wink:
I kid you not on this story I'm about to tell you.  I was in my buddies 70 Olds Pace car conv.  We were on a main highway cruising when he says to me, you're not gonna believe this but one time while I was on the highway just like now, a bird slammed into my hood scoops.  Just as he said that, a bird slammed into the scoop while we were driving.  We just stared at each other with our mouths open. :o

Troy was delayed in posting, because he has a life outside DC.com   :nana: :nana:

mopar73

Ghoste

Lucky that bulldozer blade grille had all that high air pressure trapped in front of it.  :icon_smile_wink:

jar1292

Troy in Utah the dove season starts on September 1st! you got your license? hope the DWR doesn't get word of this! lol sorry had to share some humor on this. I think you pulled the long straw and got lucky on this one!
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

moparsons

Troy

The first thing i thought was......"glad i sold him that grille."

451-74Charger

I would have sworn youd be at cruisapolusa at Coney this past weekend
But I guess there were NO (i feel let down) I repeat NO Chargers to be seen.
Whats up with that? dont want to catch something from those Chevys and Fords?

Troy

Quote from: moparsons on September 08, 2009, 12:39:50 AM

Troy

The first thing i thought was......"glad i sold him that grille."

There's one. I'll have to post some "after" pictures some day. The metal frame on that one was wasted! The rest was real nice though.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 07, 2009, 04:29:59 PM
Good thing it wasn't a '69.  ;)
It probably would have dented that GTO trim huh? :P

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 08, 2009, 10:49:50 AM
I had misplaced my car show calendar so I didn't know about it until Saturday. I've never been to that show though (probably never knew the dates). I was working on the cars in the morning then Dad and I went to the Frisch's cruise in Bethel Saturday evening. The day I hit the bird I had gone to Mugbee's over in N. KY but I was the only car there so I went to Milford for the Quaker Steak & Lube cruise. The next few weekends will be Felicity (13th?), then Norwalk (maybe), then Monster Mopar, then the Pumpkin Run, then Batavia (Sportsman's Club/Tri State Mopar). I've been hitting the Hamilton cruise-in on Saturdays but it's the same cars every week. I heard Milford had the most cars ever on Friday night but it's tough to make it over there unless I bail out of work real early.

Troy

451-74Charger

Too funny,
I Left Florence to go to Amelia and then upto Jeffersonville, and came back down (past the 1000 cops alll writing tickets) on Sunday, stopping at Red Robin in Milford. still didnt see any Chargers.

Yesterday was spent taking pictures for a wedding and just happened to get about 30 images of Navy1  :coolgleamA: and Air Force1  :coolgleamA: and a certain passenger disembarking as I was driving home
:coolgleamA:

bull

I was always worried about the grill in my old 70 getting smashed, and that was back in the mid 80s.

Road Dog

I never worry about it. :nana:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

BROCK

A friend had a Hawk fly into the grille of his company truck.  That grill did NOT survive.

Glad this grille DID :icon_smile_big:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

twodko

I glad your grill, windshield etc survived without damage. It could have been worse if you had had to ditch your Charger in the Hudson River. hahahahaha

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BMOTOXSTAR

Glad the Charger & you are OK.
How have ya' been Troy?
Thanks again for helping me out a few years back with all them 3rd gen parts.I will never forget all the help you gave me loading those parts up, you spent an entire afternoon helping me.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

472 R/T SE

Maybe those Genny Lee folks are on to something.  ;)

Dans 68

Geez, no one has any concerns for the poor bird??? Hopefully he got up, flew away and told all his bird buddies about his encounter with the scariest looking thing on the road.... :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

PocketThunder

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 08, 2009, 06:15:49 PM
Maybe those Genny Lee folks are on to something.  ;)

:scratchchin:    :yesnod:    :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on September 08, 2009, 11:11:15 AM

It probably would have dented that GTO trim huh? :P

WTF bro?   :slap:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Steve P.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..............   Troy busted one on ya... HAHAHA....    :nana:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

68 RT

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 08, 2009, 10:49:50 AM
I was at Coney that weekend in my 68 r/t. Was parked ack by the bumper cars.  ;)

451-74Charger

QuoteI was at Coney that weekend in my 68 r/t. Was parked ack by the bumper cars.  ;)

I didnt see ya anywhere
i walked up past the Runner, and looked to the left (where you were last year) and didnt see ya

aussiemuscle

i understand your relief. i hit a bird in my last dd. (2002 ford falcon). it was a crow, so the whole grille was toast  :RantExplode: so was the bird  :slap:

451-74Charger

T%ry hitting a rabbit in a mini (not the BMW one either)
Thud.....rabbit stew for a week ;)

Martian R/T

When I was in High School I was driving my 65 Mustang Fastback and a flock of sparrows flew out of a field and I plowed right through the middle of them, I heard multiple thuds and figured the worst for the front end, luckily the grill and horse are actually metal so no damage, but I did have to go home and clean bird carcass out of the grill, nailed 8 of the little suckers. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

b5blue

Years ago a pair of sparrows smacked into the grill of my Nova. I pulled over and got out...they were stuck in the grill hanging by their little heads. I popped them out and set them in the grass on the side of the road and said: "sorry little guys!". As I turned to go back to my car I heard a "tweet tweet" and looking back saw both jump up and fly (wobbly) away!  :smilielol: