News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Motors

Started by Topher, August 05, 2009, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topher

I think most of yaw know that I rebuild the headlight motors for 66-67 Chargers. I'd also like to let you know that I am starting to rebuild the later model electric motors. I've got a few under my belt to date and hope to do more in the future. One thing that I am asked more and more about on the later ones is if I can replace the plastic gear. I am currently talking with a machinist about having some bronze gears made so that I can replace the plastic gear with a better piece. I'd like to ask yaw if there's much of a market for these guys. Quantity will affect end pricing, so if there's enough demand the price will be lower. Click the globe to the left to visit my website.

As always, all help/comments is/are greatly appreciated.

Topher
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Ghoste

Maybe, depends on pricing.  :shruggy:

Nassau1969

What are you talking about $15 to $25 more, I would go with up grade to bronze gear.

tricky lugnuts

I like the idea - I'd buy one or two within reason and suspect many other 71-72 Charger owners would also.  :2thumbs:

Topher

I'm waiting for the feller to get back with me. Just as soon as I know something I'll post it in here.
Topher

gcravillion

Can you get your hands on the motors?  I just bought a 66 and it doesn't have the motors.  How much do you charge?

Topher

Topher

bohoch

The bronze material itself will be at least $15 ea. If he made 50 of them, he would have to get over $150.00 each just to break even. I see 2 lathe set-ups to make the gear blank, another hob or mill operation to do the gear pattern, and then a broach or maybe an EDM operation to do the rectangle drive hole.

Topher

That sounds kinda steep for a gear. I doubt anyone would want to pay that kind of price. Is there another option?
Topher

Topher

Not giving up yet guys. I spoke with a friend last night about this project and he has several connections we're going to try. Hope to have info in the next couple weeks.  :2thumbs:
Topher

J-440

Any thoughts as to converting the vacuum operated doors from the 68-69 to electrical?  Just thought I'd ask.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Topher

Do you have a pic of the vacuum setup? I'm not real sure how it looks compared to the electric setup.
Topher

J-440

Basically the headlight switch from the dash has 3 hoses coming out of the back and through the firewall.  1 hose goes straight to the intake while the other 2 run down into a vacuum canister/reservoir.  Then they "T" section off down to the headlight vacuum actuators (1 on each side) and open the doors.  How the 70 Charger with electric doors is setup, I have no idea and I don't think the system will fit the 68-69 models. 
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

kab69440

Why do so many people want to change a 69 Charger's vacuum-operated headlamp covers to electric? I can't honestly say I have ever owned a car with electric/ hidden headlamps that worked properly. One of my 11 G body Daytonas worked for about 4 months after I bought it. After that, I drove around with them propped open. I don't think there is a more reliable system than the reservoir/dashpot setup on the 68-69 Chargers.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

I've always found the exact opposite but it's probably one of those "your mileage may vary" things.

NHCharger

I'm in need of a tune up on my headlight motor for my 71. Another member Bohog use to rebuild them at a very reasonable price but he hasn't been on the board now for over two years, so I didn't feel comfortable sending him my motor.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

70sixpkrt

I noticed on your website you sell Replacement Relays. Do they work for a 70 Charger?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Topher

Those particular relays fitt the 66-67 Chargers. I can put something together for the later ones. Do you have a good picture of what the relay looks like with a picture of the harness?
Topher

70sixpkrt

Do you rebuild the 70 Charger motors and if so how much?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)